A promising vaccine on the horizon? Even Dr. Fauci is encouraged by the results so far

ontheweb

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The step-daughter of my friend who died from Covid  lives in Canada.If and when I need more I can ask her to get some for me and when things calm down and she and family come to NY I will get it.

Soooooooooooooo,  maybe next year.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

The point is, 50% of the people who take it, will not provide herd immunity.  So you will still have to take precautions to avoid infection.

And, unless you get tested, even if you have had the vaccine, it is 50/50 that you have immunity.  So you still have to take precautions, as you might not be immune.

Herd immunity is not the only goal.  If the vaccine is effective for 50% of the people who take it, that is a lot of people HAVE immunity. Nobody can force the “herd” to behave responsibly - but each individual can.  Your continually insisting that a measure is useless unless it is 100% effective is curious.

5 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

My personal opinion, with some but limited facts directly from the University of Oxford website, is that they are proceeding quickly but safely.

Their website is at: https://covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/home

Oxford is also a very respectable and trustworthy organization. I believe them when they say the test results are looking good. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

I ain't got 2 nickels to rub together and I know no one. There is going to be millions of vaccine shots right off the bat on this one. I bet within 6 months I will be able to get it or sooner actually I woukd say.
I'm just a dumb truck driver that takes a cruise every year with a few extra sheckles I scrap together. I do get 4 weeks vacation though so that's nice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This country would not survive without the trucks who deliver us EVERYTHING we need to lead our lives.

So ... thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oxford is also a very respectable and trustworthy organization. I believe them when they say the test results are looking good. 
I agree, they wouldn't do anything to hurt anyone. They will make sure it's safe.

17 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

I agree, they wouldn't do anything to hurt anyone. They will make sure it's safe.

Very few companies are in it for the greater good, Moderna is staring phase 3

"Moderna said in a statement that it would be able to deliver about 500 million doses per year, and possibly up to a billion doses per year, starting in 2021. The company says it will not sell the vaccine at cost, but for profit"

"Moderna said in a statement that it would be able to deliver about 500 million doses per year, and possibly up to a billion doses per year, starting in 2021. The company says it will not sell the vaccine at cost, but for profit"

I never expected anyone to give this vaccine away. What I do expect us that is works and it's safe. The insurance companies and the government fight over price and who pays for what.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Is it evil to make a profit, given all the work that will have gone into it, including many companies putting aside other potentially lucrative projects in development while this effort takes up all usable bandwidth?

A normal profit is acceptable to me. What would be unacceptable would be corporate greed of epi-pen magnitude:  https://money.cnn.com/2016/08/29/investing/epipen-price-rise-history/index.html

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Keep in mind if we have a vaccine in mid - 2024 then Covid-19 will be the quickest developed vaccine in human history.  The current record is five years.   

I'll need to dig things up, but I recall reading a Scientific American article [Bio of a NIH vaccine scientist] where it was mentioned that a 1957 'Hong Kong Flu' vaccine was developed, tested and deployed [first 40 million doses ] in a four month period.

Found the link https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-man-who-beat-the-1957-flu-pandemic/

Edited by TheOldBear
s/f/S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

I'll need to dig things up, but I recall reading a Scientific American article [Bio of a NIH vaccine scientist] where it was mentioned that a 1957 'Hong Kong Flu' vaccine was developed, tested and deployed [first 40 million doses ] in a four month period.

Here you go.  https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/vaccine-hong-kong-influenza-pandemic

So much for the it has to take years and years that we keep hearing from our self proclaimed experts.

36 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Keep in mind if we have a vaccine in mid - 2024 then Covid-19 will be the quickest developed vaccine in human history.  The current record is five years.   

I've been told I'm such a pessimist and negative.

What's the chance that the worlds collected brilliance will get this moonshot faster than any other documented vaccine?

And lets not forget they would ramp up to hundreds of millions of doses in 3 months too, LOL

We won't be doing international travel, leisure traveling, see the return of indoor and outdoor spectator sports till likely 2022 at the earliest.  It'll be more because we've achieved herd immunity in the US first, US first, LOL

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

Found the link https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-man-who-beat-the-1957-flu-pandemic/

Don't forget we get flue back ever year, and well we see deaths annually too, I'd say the vaccine and our cocktails aren't the model of what we hope for COVID19 and SARS-CoV-2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Is it evil to make a profit, given all the work that will have gone into it, including many companies putting aside other potentially lucrative projects in development while this effort takes up all usable bandwidth?

A normal profit is acceptable to me. What would be unacceptable would be corporate greed of epi-pen magnitude:  https://money.cnn.com/2016/08/29/investing/epipen-price-rise-history/index.html

Governments and corporations are making backroom deals, and trillions will be pocketed by corporations and governments.  It's what people and corporations exist for, sadly!  They aren't in this for great good!

59 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

53 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Here you go.  https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/vaccine-hong-kong-influenza-pandemic

So much for the it has to take years and years that we keep hearing from our self proclaimed experts.

The second article is about 1968, not 1957, but regardless flu vaccines have been available since the 1940's . Development of a vaccine for an influenza variant strain doesn't require starting from scratch as is the case with COVID-19.  Note this sentence in the Scientific American article: "Flu vaccines had been available since the mid-1940s, so researchers weren’t starting from scratch in 1957. "

The vaccine development for COVID-19 had to be started from scratch because no viable vaccines for similar coronavirus variants such as the one responsible for SARS exist. SARS vaccine research went on for more than a decade but was unsuccessful.

Suggest you read this article by the former president of Merck's vaccine division. He says the quickest development was 4 years and typical time is 10-15 years Is he enough of an expert for you?  https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/05/19/we-roar-covid-vaccine-12-18-months-dont-count-it

Edited by njhorseman

42 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Governments and corporations are making backroom deals, and trillions will be pocketed by corporations and governments.  It's what people and corporations exist for, sadly!  They aren't in this for great good!

Do you have any real evidence to support your claim or are you just here to stir the pot?

46 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

It really helps no one if you just keep making pot shots. 

It's very trendy to spout all sorts of cynical nonsense and conspiracy theories, but usually the simplest explanation makes the most sense. 

In this case, there are clear benefits on all sides to producing a vaccine quickly -- individuals benefit (fewer illnesses/deaths), the economy clearly benefits, and the companies who produce the vaccines benefit. 

If you can post some sort of incontrovertable proof of "backroom deals" or other facts to back up what you are saying, please do. At least it would give us a starting point for a conversation not based solely on rumors, innuendo, and FB posts...

(And just for the record, government working hand in hand with industry and academia does not constitute a back room deal -- it's an effective marshalling of the necessary resource to get this done. I wish it would happen MORE often, not less. Might stop politicians and others operating in silos.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheOldBear said:

That wasn’t developing a new vaccine, that was tweeking an existing vaccine.  We do that every year.

37 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The second article is about 1968, not 1957, but regardless flu vaccines have been available since the 1940's . Development of a vaccine for an influenza variant strain doesn't require starting from scratch as is the case with COVID-19.  Note this sentence in the Scientific American article: "Flu vaccines had been available since the mid-1940s, so researchers weren’t starting from scratch in 1957. "

The vaccine development for COVID-19 had to be started from scratch because no viable vaccines for similar coronavirus variants such as the one responsible for SARS exist. SARS vaccine research went on for more than a decade but was unsuccessful.

Suggest you read this article by the former president of Merck's vaccine division. He says the quickest development was 4 years and typical time is 10-15 years Is he enough of an expert for you?  https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/05/19/we-roar-covid-vaccine-12-18-months-dont-count-it

There are veterinary coronavirus vaccines - but they not considered too effective for long term protection [see from 2004 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15742624/ ]

What looks interesting for the current vaccine development is the use of virus genetic sequencing and engineering - creating vaccines using messenger RNA. I was reading a bit this weekend [popped up on my phone news feed] saying that the mRNA vaccine has the advantage of providing an antibody template of the virus before it gets a chance to attack a cell. This is apparently very different than older techniques. I'll be quite interested in how effective this proves to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

There are veterinary coronavirus vaccines - but they not considered too effective for long term protection [see from 2004 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15742624/ ]

What looks interesting for the current vaccine development is the use of virus genetic sequencing and engineering - creating vaccines using messenger RNA. I was reading a bit this weekend [popped up on my phone news feed] saying that the mRNA vaccine has the advantage of providing an antibody template of the virus before it gets a chance to attack a cell. This is apparently very different than older techniques. I'll be quite interested in how effective this proves to be.

Veterinary vaccines of limited effectiveness developed many years ago aren't exactly a beacon of hope or foundation for development of effective vaccines for humans. As I said no human vaccine for SARS was ever able to be developed. Funding for the vaccine research eventually dried up because SARS never spread very far and was quickly  no longer a threat to humans.

I'm aware of the new mRNA vaccines under development. They could be a major advance, they could be a failure.

It's nice to be hopeful but let's remember that about 90% of vaccines that advance to human trials never make it to market...but with so many potential vaccines under development and all the government funding of COVID-19 vaccine research perhaps the chances of success are better than they were in the past.

2 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

We should just give up; no posts with anything positive seemed to be allowed in this group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ed01106 said:

That wasn’t developing a new vaccine, that was tweeking an existing vaccine.  We do that every year.

Very different and easy/quick, every vaccine in trial that I'm aware of is a tweek, everyone went to their war chest and asked their best and brightest, what can we get out there fast that might work.  Everyone went and looked, and tweeked them for what they know and let's see what happens at WARP speed.

Something breakthru, that takes time, patience and sometimes luck, but to think that shows up at WARP speed is wishful as it'll just disappear one day.

Look at say autonomous driving, three years ago what did we predict, and where are we now?