Horizon, Family Harbor or Havana

MamatoJack

Hello, I am planning to book Carnival Horizon for January 2022 (this better be a safe time to travel!!) and my son will be 12. We travel just the two of us and I was planning to book us in Family Harbor, I think the access to the lounge would be nice for breakfast and snacks, and the decor looks kind of fun. However, he will be 12 so we could look at the Havana area, it would cost more, and I think the only real bonus is the extra pool? He will want to be at the water slides and ropes course on seadays, rather than just swimming, though that may happen a bit too. We'd be in an inside, I am planning to book back to back 8 & 6 nights so we need to save a bit of money on the cabin to make that work. Thoughts? The other option is to book an outside cabin, which I think is less than the Havana but probably more than the Family Harbor. We'd have a window which might be nice for two weeks on the ship. 

I have an outisde Family Harbor booked this December but given the situation I don't think we'll be able to go, and sadly that cabin is not available in Jan 2022. 

Havana all the way.  We have cruised in those rooms twice now and won't ever choose another area if possible.  The access to the back area was so worth it.   I am not sure if your son will utilized the teen programs but they will have several activities he can attend with that group and he will get to take advantage regardless of which room you are in.   We sailed with our boys in December and had a Havana room for the first time for them.  Although they are a bit older it was still awesome.  I can't stress how much better our cruise was having that back area as a type of oasis away from the masses.

Havana Havana and again the Havana.  There is a breakfast buffet in ocean plaza its great to get your food and go back into the Havana to relax with your food. The coffee shop is right there too.

The pool, hot tubs and shaded areas are great to escape to on busy sea days. 

I don't know, from what I've seen all the Havana rooms with balconies don't actually have balconies, you have to cross a walk way and its all glass.  Personally I really enjoy having a private balcony that you can just watch the sea go by, smell that fresh salt air and eat some breakfast on the balcony.

I really really wish Havana had private balconies, I love the other perks but that balcony is a breaker for me IMHO.

-🦩

• Like 1

We've stayed in the Havana once and we LOVED it. We had it booked for two upcoming Carnival cruises on the Panorama and Mardi Gras as well. It's definitely a great private space for lounging/swimming/drinking. It's just my husband and I, so I can't speak for the family harbor or traveling with kids, but my vote would still be for the Havana.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:41 AM, Traveling-Aron said:

I don't know, from what I've seen all the Havana rooms with balconies don't actually have balconies, you have to cross a walk way and its all glass.  Personally I really enjoy having a private balcony that you can just watch the sea go by, smell that fresh salt air and eat some breakfast on the balcony.

I really really wish Havana had private balconies, I love the other perks but that balcony is a breaker for me IMHO.

-🦩

The Havana Cabanas are not "private" as in you have a "back porch" the other Havana guests can walk by. Not many do but they can.   The Havana "Afts" on 6, 7,8,9 are private. We had a aft wrap on 6 and it was amazing. There is a havana stairwell you can take to go up to your room without leaving the havana area. Perfection.

I am not thrilled with the adjustments to the Havana Area on Mardi Gras but I will absolutelyy sail in the Havana on Horizon or Vista again. 

• 5 months later...
On 7/15/2020 at 7:40 AM, Jenjer said:

Havana Havana and again the Havana.  There is a breakfast buffet in ocean plaza its great to get your food and go back into the Havana to relax with your food. The coffee shop is right there too.

The pool, hot tubs and shaded areas are great to escape to on busy sea days. 

@Jenjer Thanks for info on the close proximity of the buffet and coffee shop. I have not studied the map quite yet but looking forward to doing so soon. Any advice on quick travel to key places is greatly appreciated 😃

Edited by THIS IS US!
Thank OP

On 7/15/2020 at 10:41 AM, Traveling-Aron said:

-

If you had done your research about all of the different types of cabins available in the Havana area on the 3 Vista Class ships, then you would know that the "private balcony" you desire is indeed available.   Besides the suites, insides and side "lanai balconies" that you despise on deck 5, there are 36 balconies on board that would meet your requirements. 

The HI category consists of 26 aft facing balconies with 6 each on decks 6, 8 & 9 and 8 on deck 7.  There are two corner aft HM balconies on decks 6, 7, 8 & 9. And if you want something on the side of the ship, there are two HL balconies  on deck 6.

Edited by SNJCruisers

On 7/16/2020 at 12:30 PM, Jenjer said:

I am not thrilled with the adjustments to the Havana Area on Mardi Gras but I will absolutelyy sail in the Havana on Horizon or Vista again. 

I was checking the Mardi Gras Havana area out when I was booking a cruise a few weeks ago. It seems like the only benefit is a small pool. The "balconies" are more like patios, which are interesting, but not sure I'd enjoy them as people may be walking by all the time.

Is the Havana bar on the Mardi Gras going to be limited access, or available to everyone on board?

6 hours ago, geneparmesan said:

Is the Havana bar on the Mardi Gras going to be limited access, or available to everyone on board?

The Havana Bar on the 3 Vista Class ships is available to everyone on board,  but it really doesn't matter.  The two times we stayed in the Havana area on the Horizon,  the amount of people in the pool area that used the bar was sporadic and the number of people that were from the other side of the bar that was open to everyone was even less.  The only time the bar was relatively busy was at night when live entertainment was available. 

The Havana area on the 2 Excellence Class ships was an afterthought.  A small pool and bar on the starboard side of deck 8 instead of the beautiful aft view on deck 5 with large pool and 2 large hot tubs on the 3 Vista Class ships.  Carnival was more concerned with the Excel Suites and the Loft 19 area.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1