Veendam and Maasdam sold

trishbk

We got that blasted email too.  Our 37 day polar icecap/around the British Isles cruise for July 2021 is cancelled.   

Haven't checked to see how much cruise credit we'll get, but will there be any cruise I want to go on again?

Read an article somewhere that cruises would all be short when they resume.  I will not fly to Europe....scratch that....anywhere for a seven day cruise.   Pity party underway here.  Yes, I know this is a first world problem but I am still bummed.

• Like 4

Well here we go again. Was on Rotterdam 3/11-3/15! Sent home from PV could not do Panama Canal. We rebooked her again 1/22 doing Panama Canal again! All our monies were credited and placed on this cruise from before as well as FCC. So now here we go again redoing another canceled cruise. We already have our cruise with Oceania that we were going to do after our Rotterdam Cruise ended which is still fine thank god! There was a cruise on Zaandam as a return in March 22 will look at doing after our 17 day Miami to Miami cruise to come back!

Tried to get on phone 🙄

Denise😊

This is the second time I've tried to get to Greenland and HAL's sale of ships has impacted it.  Sigh.

Dave, I know it's upsetting but you can speak with your PCC next week to get the other $800 sorted out.  I would think that it would go back to your Mariner account to be applied to another cruise.  I hope that you and your DW can find an alternate cruise or other plan for that very significant milestone.

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Haha!  I think the luggage is off - and I believe Zaandam will be doing the WC - but maybe it won't be so "Grand"!

Yes, surprised me to, The Nieuw Amsterdam would be the most logical choice for a world cruise..

• Like 2

We were also doing the August 2021 cruise out of Boston. I just talked to my travel agent after I received the email from HAL and he said someone from HAL is going to contact us by e-mail to explain everything. Hopefully we will get some answers.

We're in the same boat - literally.  Rotterdam cruise in April was cancelled by Hal.  FCC transferred to a Rotterdam cruise next July.  Now that has been cancelled by HAL - more FCC to be put toward another cruise.  Will it ever end?

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yikes.  I guess the good old days are almost gone.  Good bye to a fairly priced mid-size ship cruise with outstanding itineraries.  

Long haul itineraries are likely gone for the foreseeable future. Looks like 3-7 day Caribbean/Med/Asia to the typical cruise ship tourist spots in those areas.

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

And the new HAL begins.

It sure does. Covid-19 is going to make President Gus’s restructuring of HAL much easier. Formal/elegant evenings.... possibly gone. Twice daily housekeeping....possibly gone (enhanced cleaning takes labor). Could the Volendam be next up?

33 minutes ago, WFBgal said:

Veendam & Maasdam will be gone by the end of August. Rotterdam & Amsterdam gone by end of October. Now, HAL will have cash flow.

If Rottie isn't going until October, I wonder why our July cruise on her has been cancelled?

13 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Within the past hour, I received "the email" and was also informed that the Rose Parade has been cancelled for the first time since WWII.  Sigh.

Oh well...one foot in front of the other.

The State Fair of Texas, too.  No cruises, no corny dogs, geez. 

17 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Yes, surprised me to, The Nieuw Amsterdam would be the most logical choice for a world cruise..

Zaandam has been already tapped.   Scott. 

source:https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/four-ships-to-leave-the-holland-america-line-fleet-in-2020/

image.thumb.png.6f4fa3f840ab9adc42de9dae9f044662.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Thanks 1

Hi, 

I am not surprised about the Maasdam and Veendam being sold, but the Rotterdam and Amsterdam surprised me. They were the flagships that were designed for long cruises. I thought they might be with Holland America for a few more years. I was booked on the Amsterdam for this August, but the cruise was cancelled a couple of months ago. I would have predicted that the Volendam and Zaandam would be sold before the Rotterdam and Amsterdam. Undoubtedly, the Volendam and Zaandam will be the next to go.   

It is a safe bet that there will be a new Rotterdam in the future. This is Holland America's favorite name.

Chuck

5 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Long haul itineraries are likely gone for the foreseeable future. Looks like 3-7 day Caribbean/Med/Asia to the typical cruise ship tourist spots in those areas.

I mentioned to John just this morning we are going to have to find a new way to travel.  He doesn’t like long haul flying but he may have to fly now.   No big ships for us and the quickies escape is not “travel” IMHO.  I travel to explore, I can relax at home. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

No, I don't think so, Rijndam has always been part of the fleet. They will need to built (or buy) a new Rotterdam, always the flag ship and a new Amsterdam, unless they just stick with Nieuw Amsterdam which could become the new flagship and will do the world cruises..

Perhaps we already have a new flagship and we missed this little piece of marketing bravado?   Scott. 

source: https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/topics/news/introducing-ms-koningsdam-name-of-new-pinnacle-class-ship-revealed/

image.thumb.png.3cbbafc5a9f3a947d7707f845d1ae72a.png

It's official!  Got my cancellation email a little while ago.  Amsterdam, Maasdam, Veendam and Rotterdam have all been sold and will transfer out of HAL "in the next few weeks".

Their compensation is pretty much nothing.  We used FCD and hadn't paid any balance.  Had quite a few "perks" for early booking.  We will lose all of the parks and with a low FCD I doubt we would get much of anything at all.  Will be contacting my PCC and see what he has to say.  Same 12 month expiration I think they have been offering everybody else.  Cruise has to be taken by 12/31/2022.