Cruise Critic Community
Stickman1990

Crystal Symphony 2023 Itineraries Announced

The catch is that the question was about liquidation, though...  If Regent liquidates, that means NCL liquidated, so all of the divisions will almost certainly go with it, unless they sold brands off first.  ...And if they did sell brands off, that would likely sever the booking transfer option since there is no reason the buyer would want to take on those liabilities without revenue.

Again though fortunately, just like Crystal, NCL is several important steps short of liquidation, so this is just for discussion purposes.

Vince

Well it is July 22 and I am impatiently waiting for the itineraries to be posted. Does anyone know what time they will come on line?

I did note that the Symphony has no long voyages, max 15 days. That is disappointing.

3 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I did note that the Symphony has no long voyages, max 15 days. That is disappointing.

You can book a back to back, and get a 5% discount.

18 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

You can book a back to back, and get a 5% discount.

Yes, but it is not the same atmosphere. 

5 hours ago, TER777 said:

Yes, but it is not the same atmosphere. 

Really?? We spent ten weeks on Serenity on the "Not Quite The World Cruise" this year, and I cannot honestly say I noticed any difference in the onboard ambience from segment to segment. That was one of the things I was concerned about going into it, and we had significant turnover in both LA and Papeete before it all went to hell in a handbasket in Sydney!!

15 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Really?? We spent ten weeks on Serenity on the "Not Quite The World Cruise" this year, and I cannot honestly say I noticed any difference in the onboard ambience from segment to segment. That was one of the things I was concerned about going into it, and we had significant turnover in both LA and Papeete before it all went to hell in a handbasket in Sydney!!

But weren't those mainly long segments? And being part of the world cruise would have had way less repeat entertainment I would expect from one segment to the next.

10 minutes ago, TER777 said:

But weren't those mainly long segments? And being part of the world cruise would have had way less repeat entertainment I would expect from one segment to the next.

They were, and they do try to avoid too much repeating of entertainment, but when you say "same atmosphere" i am thinking more in the sense of the turnover in the passengers. There were 340 full World Cruisers this year, and on the the first three segments. which were all at capacity, there was significant "segment guest" (and I use that term hesitantly) turnover after each one, and I cannot say we noticed a difference in the ambience.

The 2023 Symphony itineraries (with prices) are now on the website.

9 hours ago, Roland4 said:

There were 340 full World Cruisers this year, and on the the first three segments. which were all at capacity, there was significant "segment guest" (and I use that term hesitantly) turnover after each one, and I cannot say we noticed a difference in the ambience.

Come on now - I'm sure some of the segment guests added their own particular twist to the ambience 🙂 (and were hopefully missed)

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Come on now - I'm sure some of the segment guests added their own particular twist to the ambience 🙂 (and were hopefully missed)

Well, yes, there were a few "twisted" guests (and a big yellow 'Roo) that definitely added to the ambience. And they were missed when they left, mostly because it was quieter!!!😁😁😁

and for those who are keen to book...this press release from Crystal today

I think we’ll be waiting a while before making any reservations for 2023.....

All Crystal Symphony 2023 Voyages Now Open for Booking

The luxury ship offers several options throughout the year to explore Southeast Asia, India, the Middle East, Egypt, Holy Land, Mediterranean and British Isles with 36 all-inclusive itineraries of six to 15 nights, with 23 sailings of 10 days or less

MIAMI, July 27, 2020 – Reservations are officially open for the 2023 luxury itineraries aboard Crystal Symphony, bringing three and a half years of luxury choices to market for discerning travelers. In all, Crystal Symphony will sail 36 all-inclusive itineraries of six to 15 nights, with 23 sailings of 10 days or fewer. Itineraries focus in Southeast Asia and India; the Middle East, Holy Land and Egypt; and the Mediterranean, Baltic and Australia – including a New Year’s Eve celebration in Sydney. For a limited time, the Crystal Confidence 2.0 program offers guests 90 days from the time of booking to place their deposit on any of Crystal’s Symphony’s newly released 2023 voyages or any 2020-2023 sailings across all brand experiences – Crystal Cruises, Crystal River Cruises, Crystal Yacht Cruises and Crystal Expedition Cruises.

Crystal Symphony will spend the entire year sailing abroad, offering guests multiple options to sail select regions at different times of year, including March and November itineraries through Southeast Asia and India; March, April and October itineraries through the Middle East, Egypt and Holy Land; and spring, summer and autumn options in the Mediterranean, Dalmatian Coast and Black Sea. 

Sailings in Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Holy Land, Mediterranean and Western Europe, the British Isles and Ireland highlight Crystal Symphony’s 2023 the collection of voyages, all of which feature at least one overnight stay. Also featured are five maiden calls – in Kampot, Cambodia; Khor Fakkan, UAE; Bristol, England; Malmoe, Sweden; and Gisborne, New Zealand – as well as new embarkation and disembarkation in the boutique port of Eilat, Israel; a return to charming Skagen, Denmark for the first time in nine years; and an overnight in the fashionable city of Antwerp, Belgium (rare among ocean ships). Boutique ports accessible thanks to the smaller size of Crystal ships include Bordeaux’s city center; Kepez, Turkey; Port Vendres, France; Bristol (gateway to Bath), England; Paphos, Cyprus and more.

A turnaround in Rouen, France offers access to Paris, as well as the culinary roots of Julia Child, while a stay in Le Havre brings guests to the banks of the Seine River, Paris and Giverny, and an overnight in Edinburgh allows guests to enjoy the famed festivities of the Military Tattoo. New routings include Scandinavia to Paris (Copenhagen to Le Havre), Iceland to the Baltic, London to Bordeaux and several others not offered before. Dozens of UNESCO World Heritage Sites range from Bordeaux and Saint-Emilion and Spain’s Rioja Wine Region to culturally significant sites like Israel’s Old City of Acre and Western Galilee and Egypt’s Pyramids of Giza and Luxor and the Valley of the Kings and Queens.

In 2023, Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity will sail a total of 68 individual itineraries ranging from six to 23 nights, with many combinable options for longer journeys. The voyages span 216 ports – with an impressive 10 maiden calls – in 92 countries across six continents. Crystal Serenity will also offer closer-to-home routes in North America – exploring New England and Canada and the Caribbean. Both award-winning ships will offer extended seasons in the Mediterranean and Western Europe in the summer months.

With Crystal’s new Crystal Confidence 2.0, a new 90-day deposit window, extended final payments, relaxed cancellation schedules and more are combinable with the Easy Book program, which offers reduced deposits and waived admin fees for all new bookings made by September 2 on any 2021, 2022 and 2023 voyage, adding enticing value to the acclaimed Crystal Experience, with Book Now Savings cruise fares for Crystal Symphony’s 2023 sailings beginning at $1,999 per guest, based on double occupancy.

While its fleet is paused, the company has been developing new procedures and policies that will support all public health and regulatory requirements and ensure that guests’ vacations continue to be not only relaxing and pleasurable but safe and healthy. The new Crystal Clean+ 2.0 protocols, announced on July 22, are the initial set of measures for Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony, developed with the latest data available from health experts and will be updated as new information and guidelines becomes available. Details can be found here. Currently in development are measures for Crystal River Cruises, Crystal Yacht Cruises and Crystal Expedition Cruises. The safety of its guests and crew members is Crystal’s number one priority and the fleet will resume service only when the company’s expert team and global health and government authorities indicate that it is safe to do so.

Posted (edited)

Several cruises start and/or end in ports that aren't exactly easily accessible to those from the US. There were a few that had some interest for me. However, I'm not planning on making any bookings for 2021, 2022 or 2023 until we see how things shake out with the current "situation".

Patty

Edited by Texas Tillie

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Several cruises start and/or end in ports that aren't exactly easily accessible to those from the US. There were a few that had some interest for me. However, I'm not planning on making any bookings for 2021, 2022 or 2023 until we see how things shake out with the current "situation".

Patty

While never a great fan of Symphony, I still wonder at the yawning absence of any North American ports, yet again. What is this, five years since she has been in North America? Would be interested to know the why behind this! If she no longer meets North American standards, then maybe it is time to finally retire her.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:58 PM, SusieQft said:

No, I don't think I have.  However, just from what I have read online I already knew that I have no desire whatsoever to sail on one, and probably not Star Cruise Line either.  There is also probably a language issue.  I was not trying to say this was a good option, more that Crystal does not have a good option of this type.  The other luxury lines might have such an option, with other US focused/English speaking brands under the same umbrella.

Susie, the only problem with your hypothesis is that if RCH or NCLH goes under, chances are all of their lines may go under.  The way they are financed the entire corporation can take the hit if they run out of money.  The ones that suffer the most are their stockholders.  That being said, we hope it doesn’t come to that for any of the cruise lines.

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Several cruises start and/or end in ports that aren't exactly easily accessible to those from the US.

The most inaccessible ports are probably Eilat and Yangon.  Otherwise, even Manama is only a one-connection itinerary from at least a dozen USA gateways (without delving deeply). 

Of course, if easily accessible means a non-stop or single connect from most all of the USA, perhaps you are correct.  Much depends on your expectations.  So, what's not easily accessible from Texas?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

The ones that suffer the most are their stockholders.

I think many of the Unsecured Creditors would disagree with you on that point (that will include guests with future cruise bookings or those awaiting refunds)

Their exposure would almost certainly be greater than those holding a handful of shares to gain access to the Shareholder OBC benefits

Edited by Stickman1990

10 minutes ago, Ladys Mom said:

Susie, the only problem with your hypothesis is that if RCH or NCLH goes under, chances are all of their lines may go under.  The way they are financed the entire corporation can take the hit if they run out of money.  The ones that suffer the most are their stockholders.  That being said, we hope it doesn’t come to that for any of the cruise lines.

That is a possibility, and I certainly hope that Crystal and the other lines survive.  However, a company with multiple cruise lines could certainly close one of their less profitable ones in order for the others to survive.  This is why I speculated that IF Genting decided to close just Crystal and not Star or Dream, they could offer to use outstanding FCCs on one of their other lines.  While obviously I do not see this as a desirable outcome on any of the luxury lines, IMO it would be even more of a problem for FCC holders on Crystal than the others, just because of what the other potential choices would be to use them.

4 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

My travel companions and I are busy negotiating. I expect we'll be booking 2023 by mid-week. (We've had 2021 and 2022 booked since they came out.)

8 hours ago, Roland4 said:

While never a great fan of Symphony, I still wonder at the yawning absence of any North American ports, yet again. What is this, five years since she has been in North America? Would be interested to know the why behind this! If she no longer meets North American standards, then maybe it is time to finally retire her.

I’ve repeated that theory floated from others a couple of times, mostly based on Crystal’s run-ins with some jurisdictions here that limit access to ships with older, less environmentally friendly technology (not ban them), but I can think of a couple of other tried and true theories for switching the two ships based on classic cruise industry logic.

The first is the model that smaller, older ships are for “exotic itineraries.“  This one is a planning model that’s as old as I can remember, but was especially strong in my younger years of the ‘70’s-early 00’s.  Part of this is related to my second point about capacity,  but to break these out into distinct points this one can focus on the marketability of the different generations.  The theory is that the newer ship is more competitive as a physical plant, so you put the newer ship in the more robust market where the ship has to stand up to flashier, newer ships and leave your older ship(s) for exotic itineraries where the itinerary is more of a draw and less commoditized. 

The second point is related to the first one, and another reason for the older, smaller ship as the “explorer” — capacity.  You put the ship with more berths in the market where you know there is more demand and you can sell more berths, and you put your smaller ship(s) on the itineraries that are further flung, less accessible, and have more limited interest.

I haven’t found any evidence of anything preventing Symphony from calling in North America vs. Serenity (both seem to fall into the same restrictions at this point), but there are differences between the two and there MAY be deliberate planning out of fear/notice of legislation that’s either in the works or may be further down the pipeline.  Cruise lines have to plan port calls years in advance, so there may also be something further out that Crystal is trying to plan for, that just hasn’t been enacted yet also.

Vince

Symphony was in North America in 2019 - so "only" 4 years.   I'm not sure 2020 will count as anything, cruise wise, going forward.

9 hours ago, TER777 said:

My travel companions and I are busy negotiating. I expect we'll be booking 2023 by mid-week. (We've had 2021 and 2022 booked since they came out.)

Tracie,

I admire your positive attitude, but I just can't see committing major $$$ to Crystal until I see how this all works out. I've got $1,300 from the deposit for my canceled by Crystal October cruise on the Dec. 2nd Serenity, although I have no expectation that it will actually happen. Still waiting for my total refund for my canceled by Crystal June cruise. Hope to see you and your posse sooner rather than later on Crystal!!

Patty

12 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The most inaccessible ports are probably Eilat and Yangon.  Otherwise, even Manama is only a one-connection itinerary from at least a dozen USA gateways (without delving deeply). 

Of course, if easily accessible means a non-stop or single connect from most all of the USA, perhaps you are correct.  Much depends on your expectations.  So, what's not easily accessible from Texas?

And nobody knows what air lift will look like in 2021, 22 and 23.  Currently many former domestic trans cons or mid cons which were non stop are now connections.  When I went to RGN it was 3 flights from the East Coast, now I don’t know how many and one can only guess what routings and connection times will look like in the future.  Definitely something to consider for future cruise bookings and ease of getting there and back,

Iof allpeople have booked 2 cruises, both on Serenity even(prefer Symphony) LOL I guess it  is true, the old saying of "Never say never!" I believe they will be sailing by 2022 certainly and we do not have to put down deposits for 3 months, so it is a no brainer for me.You would be surprised how many cruises are nearly full way out to 2023,in part due to all the people who need to use their FCC's by 2023. The ones I have chosen are  close to full in my category at least(ie one or 2 rooms plus guarantees) 

58 minutes ago, cruisr said:

And nobody knows what air lift will look like in 2021, 22 and 23.  Currently many former domestic trans cons or mid cons which were non stop are now connections.  When I went to RGN it was 3 flights from the East Coast, now I don’t know how many and one can only guess what routings and connection times will look like in the future.  Definitely something to consider for future cruise bookings and ease of getting there and back,

Well you can't book flights anyway until 12 months before, so that is not something any of us who are looking at 2022 and 2023 have to worry about for quite some time