Omg. Fred have bought the 2 flagships of Holland America! We finally get decent sized ships in the UK!

Chrisifab

13 minutes ago, Chrisifab said:

Such exciting news! Can’t wait for cruising to start back up again.

Fred have bought the 2 flagships of the Holland America line, Rotterdam and Amsterdam.

We’ll be booking as soon as we can.

https://www.bonheur.no/latest-news1?SelectedRelease=http://publish.ne.cision.com/Release/GetDetail/7CDB812CA7F9D5C5

This will put Fred.Olsen in a good position when cruising recommences. 

• Like 2

I would rather sail on Boudicca & Black Watch rather than Rotterdam & Amsterdam.  Reviews over the last couple of years have not been good concerning maintenance of these ships by Carnival Corp.  Both ships had great crew but the physical ships either not built well and/or maintained.

At least the Boudica & Black Watch were built as quality world class ships.

After cruising w HAL since the mid 1970s I gave up several years ago after Carnival Corp bought the line.

I was hoping to do my first FO cruise this Autumn...it will have to wait but it'll be onboard Boudica / Black Watch.🚢🚢

Also rumours persisting that Carnival might buy CMV at a knock down price.  Only the future will tell, but things moving quickly at present and reported Carnival was looking for a loan that they did not immediately need yesterday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

I would rather sail on Boudicca & Black Watch rather than Rotterdam & Amsterdam.  Reviews over the last couple of years have not been good concerning maintenance of these ships by Carnival Corp.  Both ships had great crew but the physical ships either not built well and/or maintained.

At least the Boudica & Black Watch were built as quality world class ships.

If I had to guess, I don’t think Boudicca and Black Watch are long for the world, sadly.  I know their pedigree and that they have been well maintained,  but the reality is they are closing in on 50 years of age.  Amsterdam is nearly 30 years younger!  Fred.  Olsen is certainly taking advantage of a unique opportunity with this purchase.  Pre-COVID,  HAL expected to get another 5-10 years out of these ships themselves, I suspect.

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShipsAreTheBest said:

If I had to guess, I don’t think Boudicca and Black Watch are long for the world, sadly.  I know their pedigree and that they have been well maintained,  but the reality is they are closing in on 50 years of age.  Amsterdam is nearly 30 years younger!  Fred.  Olsen is certainly taking advantage of a unique opportunity with this purchase.  Pre-COVID,  HAL expected to get another 5-10 years out of these ships themselves, I suspect.

According to this article, two ships will be retired. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23248-fred-olsen-buys-amsterdam-and-rotterdam.html

• Like 1

Actually, I can't think of a more seamless acquisition for FOCL than Rotterdam and Amsterdam.  When one considers HAL's primary customer segment in America is very close to FOCL's in Britain, one realizes the ships are already equipped ideally.

I enjoyed my former trip on the Rotterdam.  The huge complex clockworks at atrium's center really gives the ship personality.  Also, many cruisers will enjoy the ship's Lanai rooms which have direct access to the ship's old-school teak Promenade.

Unfortunately for HAL, it loses a touch of its brand distinctiveness in the U.S. market.  Lots of changes in today's Covid world, I'm afraid.  Regardless, it's pleasing to see these two ships will continue sailing under the Fred Olsen banner.

• Like 2

Sadly I agree it is probably the end of Boudicca and Black watch - running ships with less than 1000 passenger capacity is becoming more and more marginal unless you upmarket them into the next range with Azmara etc and price accordingly. It would be a shame to see Olsen's stick with just a 4 ship fleet as it limits their scope as to where they can sail - there's huge potential for a smaller cruise liner in parts of the southern hemisphere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tring said:

Also rumours persisting that Carnival might buy CMV at a knock down price.  Only the future will tell, but things moving quickly at present and reported Carnival was looking for a loan that they did not immediately need yesterday.

Hope you're wrong Tring but I fear this maybe the case - CMV are financially in trouble but the last thing anyone wants to see is Carnival swallowing yet another cruise line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

After cruising w HAL since the mid 1970s I gave up several years ago after Carnival Corp bought the line.

I was hoping to do my first FO cruise this Autumn...it will have to wait but it'll be onboard Boudica / Black Watch.🚢🚢

Really???  Several years ago???  Carnival bought HAL in 1989.  That's 31 years ago...  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hamishg said:

Hope you're wrong Tring but I fear this maybe the case - CMV are financially in trouble but the last thing anyone wants to see is Carnival swallowing yet another cruise line.

The advance of Carnival does worry me as well, though IF they do take on CMV they would presumably use it to sail the "smaller", ships albeit what P&O call mid sized, which would please a lot of P&O customers, but also restrict possible extra passengers for Fred, which was quite probably on the cards.  A P&O Oz ship is going to CMV as Amy Johnson as you probably know and Vasco de Gama already in service.  I feel Marco Polo and Magellan may well be on the way out.

We picked up the comment that Fred was to get rid of 2 ships last night, so yes presumably Black Watch and Boudicca.  I will be very happy to see Black Watch go as we hate the deck 5 and below cabins with fixed beds in a L shaped configuration, since one bed has no bedside table.  Annoyingly that was the ship which he has been sailing from Liverpool recently, though at least sailings went from there.  I wonder if anything bigger than Braemar can turn around in Liverpool at present and am not holding my breath for the newly planned cruise terminal either.  Certainly no sign in place at present and would not be surprised if it is, or has been, cancelled for the time being at least.

Interesting that Fred has the support of Bonheur for this after various reports regards his difference of opinion with big sister in the past (I was told about that personally by a Fred Captain, so not rumours).    Does anyone know if she is still chair of the Bonheur board?    

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

The advance of Carnival does worry me as well, though IF they do take on CMV they would presumably use it to sail the "smaller", ships albeit what P&O call mid sized, which would please a lot of P&O customers, but also restrict possible extra passengers for Fred, which was quite probably on the cards.  A P&O Oz ship is going to CMV as Amy Johnson as you probably know and Vasco de Gama already in service.  I feel Marco Polo and Magellan may well be on the way out.

We picked up the comment that Fred was to get rid of 2 ships last night, so yes presumably Black Watch and Boudicca.  I will be very happy to see Black Watch go as we hate the deck 5 and below cabins with fixed beds in a L shaped configuration, since one bed has no bedside table.  Annoyingly that was the ship which he has been sailing from Liverpool recently, though at least sailings went from there.  I wonder if anything bigger than Braemar can turn around in Liverpool at present and am not holding my breath for the newly planned cruise terminal either.  Certainly no sign in place at present and would not be surprised if it is, or has been, cancelled for the time being at least.

Interesting that Fred has the support of Bonheur for this after various reports regards his difference of opinion with big sister in the past (I was told about that personally by a Fred Captain, so not rumours).    Does anyone know if she is still chair of the Bonheur board?    

Fred. Olsen senior is the Chairman of Bonheur while his daughter Annette is the Managing Director.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, braemar12 said:

Fred. Olsen senior is the Chairman of Bonheur while his daughter Annette is the Managing Director.

Thanks for the correction and extra info. Braemar.  MD still a big role and I got the impression she was a big opponent.  Some good value to be had at present though - especially when you look at the terms on which they have been "bought" as mentioned in the Bonheur link.

Fred Jnr's announcement - made me a bit tearful:-

It is good to him speak in a video like this.

I wonder how the new ships will be regards green credentials which is becoming a problem for Fred considering he has always had a big showing in Norway and restrictions tightening up a lot.

Edited by tring

18 minutes ago, WeeCountyMan said:

I read that they may be in or around Babcock's facility at Rosyth - I'll need to take a drive over and visit.

Geat my new Nikon lens into action - any excuse really !!!

All four current Fred Olsen's are in Babcocks at Rosyth.  They can be seen from South Queensferry foreshore on the Lothian side and the Limekilns Road on the Fife side.   The two little ships are tied together as are the two larger ones.

This seems a very good move for Fred - especially as I am sure they are being acquired at a bargain price. I will be sorry to see Black Watch and Boudicca go - they are some of the last really classic-style, Ocean Liner, type of ship sailing. On a selfish note, I was due to sail on Boudicca back in May but after this was cancelled, swapped to another itinerary on her next year, doing a double-transit of the Mail Canal, so it now looks like that's gone too...

31 minutes ago, Britboys said:

This seems a very good move for Fred - especially as I am sure they are being acquired at a bargain price. I will be sorry to see Black Watch and Boudicca go - they are some of the last really classic-style, Ocean Liner, type of ship sailing. On a selfish note, I was due to sail on Boudicca back in May but after this was cancelled, swapped to another itinerary on her next year, doing a double-transit of the Mail Canal, so it now looks like that's gone too...

I am wondering if they will do much the same itineraries on the new ships.  Can I ask where the Mail Canal is - I am feeling a bit thick and Google did not help.

3 hours ago, London-Calling said:

Great news, although I guess we lose Black Watch and Boudicca (TBC).

You can get an idea of what Borealis's interiors might be like here:

Thanks for this... I've only had a day visit on Rotterdam when she was in Edinburgh, but liked her décor, and small areas for seating around the ship. I feel she'll be a great addition to the fleet.

36 minutes ago, tring said:

I am wondering if they will do much the same itineraries on the new ships.  Can I ask where the Mail Canal is - I am feeling a bit thick and Google did not help.

The Keil Canal is in Northern Germany, basically running from the North Sea to the Baltic Sea - it avoids sailing up around Denmark. Fred's Balmoral is one of the largest ships that can use it and the two new ones are probably too big. Fortunately, Fred will still have a couple of ships small enough to do interesting itineraries.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Britboys said:

The Keil Canal is in Northern Germany, basically running from the North Sea to the Baltic Sea - it avoids sailing up around Denmark. Fred's Balmoral is one of the largest ships that can use it and the two new ones are probably too big. Fortunately, Fred will still have a couple of ships small enough to do interesting itineraries.

Ah I thought it was a spell checker issue which it likely was - your post said mail.  I was a bit slow realising what you meant though.  It is commonly transited on Fred ships.

4 minutes ago, tring said:

Ah I thought it was a spell checker issue which it likely was - your post said mail.  I was a bit slow realising what you meant though.  It is commonly transited on Fred ships.

Ah, sorry about that. I hadn't noticed - obviously. I have a fairly new tablet and I swear it is more keen on predictive text than the old one was!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Really???  Several years ago???  Carnival bought HAL in 1989.  That's 31 years ago...  EM

REALLY...since the first time I sailed in a HAL ship...ROTTERDAM V...in 1976, pre Carnival Corp & the philosophy of bigger is better.  The last HAL ship i was in was the VEENDAM maybe 8 years ago...it wasn't 8n great shape then  & who was the dumb dumb that thought of doing away w the BBC aft pools(also on ROTTERDAM). Never went back to HAL or any CARNIVAL CORP LINE thereafter.

The current ROTTERDAM & AMSTERDAM have been known for maintenance issues for years...BOUDICA & BLACK WATCH were built as quality ships..... I hope i get to sail in them if/ before they leave FO.