Share your memories of sailing on the ms. Amsterdam.

cruzingnut

Many years ago, we did the 14 day Alaska cruise in June and I can remember sitting out on our veranda about midnight in Anchorage enjoying the daylight. One of many fond memories on the Amsterdam including 3 times through the Panama Canal. I will miss her.

The 2010 Asia Australia Grand Voyage. Wonderful ports, new friends at bridge games on sea days, new buddies for my husband from the poker table. And best of all, our dining partners, friends to this day.

Loved sitting in the explorers lounge listening to the adagio strings, there were four of them then. Woke up one morning and looked out the window, there was the Sydney Opera House.

We also went on several 14 day Alaska trips and lastly a Hawai’i round trip in 2018 with those same friends. Nestor was the wine steward all that time, hope he got safely home.

My cruising days probably ended after my husband died on the Oosterdam last November. And then our planned April voyage on the Maasdam with those same wonderful friends was destroyed by the virus. But the Amsterdam will always have a special place in my heart. I’ll miss those World Cruise blogs I followed every winter. The last one was quite an adventure. I hear that their luggage is now on a freighter and due to arrive in Miami in late August.

Vicki in Redondo Beach California

We sailed on the Amsterdam 5 times - all of them the 14 day Alaska Itinerary. The first was in 2010 and that one did the Inside Passage. Then it was 2012, 2014, 2017, and 2019. The first and last we were fortunate to be upgraded to a balcony. The others were in our favorite HA cabin - 3431. The Amsterdam is our favorite ship - just the right size and great staff. We loved the stops in the smaller ports and definitely in Anchorage. One year, in Anchorage, we got off with DH's scooter and all was good. We came back when they told us to and found the promenade deck so low that we had to duck  under the lifeboats to get on. I was worried about the scooter but the young men at the dock told me "we have a plan" and they did. They walked the scooter on (DH can walk so he was helped on board) and 4 of them carried it down the steps and onto the promenade deck. 

Anne I love the picture of the Volendam and Amsterdam in Juneau last year. My mom and sisters were on the Volendam and we met up there. When we all booked none of knew that we'd meet up. It was a great memory. 

Karen

On 7/16/2020 at 5:46 AM, rafinmd said:

I have only been on the Amsterdam twice but they were both long, 27 and 30 days.  The first was the last segment of the 2014 World Cruise, Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale.  My main memory is a huge itinerary change, missing most of African ports due to the Ebola crisis.  We were also originally due to miss Ascension Island but Captain Merson and the Chief Engineer fine tuned their pencils and decided we had just enough fuel to cruise by it safely.  The other unique port was St. Helena where I climbed Jacobs Ladder.  I'm not sure I could still do that.[

ladderdown.jpg

The other time was the first half of the 2017 Grand Asia.  I had booked it in combination with that years Prinsendam Transatlantic, and I had to fly from Hong Kong to Rome to make the connection.  We were held up for over 24 hours in Shanghai, reportedly due to a typhoon.  Hong Kong was the next port and I was getting very nervous, but Captain Everson really put the pedal to the metal and got me to the plane in time.

Roy

Thanks for the Jacob's Ladder picture.  We were on the same cruise (boarded in Hong Kong), and the DW wife and I walked up and down the ladder.  I think the worst part was walking down as those steps are about twelve inches high and concrete.  By the next day I had plantar fasciitis which lasted for a few months after the cruise.  Lesson learned: Just because it looks like I can do something, it doesn't mean that I should.

13 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for the Jacob's Ladder picture.  We were on the same cruise (boarded in Hong Kong), and the DW wife and I walked up and down the ladder.  I think the worst part was walking down as those steps are about twelve inches high and concrete.  By the next day I had plantar fasciitis which lasted for a few months after the cruise.  Lesson learned: Just because it looks like I can do something, it doesn't mean that I should.

Thank you.  That was quite a trip for exactly the reasons you mentioned.  I found for me the worst part was actually the first few steps after completing the descent where my legs turned pretty much to rubber (fortunately, I had no lasting ill effects).  Surprisingly, a local posted a comment on my blog the day after we made that call:

"Thanks from St Helena for your post. It was great having you all here – there’s been a really positive vibe on the local radio about your visit.
The ‘wobbly legs syndrome’ from going down the ladder is entirely normal. You did the right thing going both ways – the local tip is to never just go one way, as crippling pain often ensues!
I only arrived here myself last September. It’s a fascinating place. You must come back some time to explore the countryside – it is quite stunning.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.
From The Organist 😉"

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Our fourth Alaska cruise was on the Amsterdam early June 2010.  It was a new 14 day itinerary and sailed round trip Seattle and inside Vancouver island.   In Kodiak a Coast Guard helicopter crew waved at us in a fly over as we sailed away.  Up in the Crows Nest we watched for the shapes of the volcanoes to appear in the near darkness as we sailed up Cook Inlet.  When we arrived back in Seattle I thought.  “I could do this cruise every year!”  

• Like 1

Our very first HAL cruise was the entire 2018 World Cruise.  Had a fabulous time.  Had a resident drawing instructor named Benjamin Sack who did a "live" 6 foot by 8 foot pen & ink drawing of this voyage while in his stateroom.  We got the half-size print which you can see in the attached photo.

DSCN2643.JPG

• Like 2

My first ever cruise was on the Amsterdam -- 14 days to Alaska, roundtrip out of Seattle -- in September, 2017.  I was hooked.  I've sailed her once since then -- 35 days Sep-Oct, 2019 - Incan Empires, Seattle to San Diego via Mexico, Central America, Ecuador, and Peru.  I've also sailed on the Rotterdam -- 35 days, Voyage of the Vikings, in July-August, 2018.  I don't do well on larger ships, so it's unlikely I'll be able to sail HAL again unless they get some smaller ships in their fleet (not likely).

I was hoping for an opportunity to sail the Maasdam next summer or sometime in 2022, but that's off the table now, too.  Depressing, for sure.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 8:23 PM, ArtsyCraftsy said:

My first ever cruise was on the Amsterdam -- 14 days to Alaska, roundtrip out of Seattle

You could not have started a better cruise experience.  The Amsterdam's 14 day Alaska itinerary provided a diverse and pleasant cruise experience.  The Amsterdam, herself, was well suited for the itinerary she sailed.  Plus, you witnessed some of the replica art work that came from from Rotterdam V in the forward part of the MDR's upper restaurant.  

My cruise on the Amsterdam was the very first of the 14 day Seattle/Anchorage roundtrips.   We were told that we were the first "large" cruise ship to actually sail up the Cook Inlet and dock in Anchorage, in many years.   That trip was also notable for calling at both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, as well as the Inside Passage, usually only done by Vancouver based ships.   

I saw the Amsterdam the last time, last year, from the Oceania Insignia, when we shared a port...we were both on full round the world cruises....

I am surprised that HAL didn't keep the 'flagship's', and sell the Zaandam and Volendam instead...

10 hours ago, bob brown said:

I am surprised that HAL didn't keep the 'flagship's', and sell the Zaandam and Volendam instead...

Considering the incredibly low amount they got for the flagships, they would have gotten even less for these two.  I thought that at least the Amsterdam, with her desirable Azipod propulsion, would keep her "safe".  Unfortunately, no. 

Linda R.

9 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Considering the incredibly low amount they got for the flagships, they would have gotten even less for these two.  I thought that at least the Amsterdam, with her desirable Azipod propulsion, would keep her "safe".  Unfortunately, no. 

Linda R.

I remain surprised because of which of the ships were sold.  The art on the Rotterdam was exceptional, I thought.  Even with her standard propulsion, why was she not saved?  The Amsterdam seemed to have leaking water pipe issues on an increasing basis. 

Maybe what may have contributed to the Rotterdam's demise was the butchering of her aft decks which was done with the Veendam.  Whatever executive in Seattle that approved that, I surely hope he/she has found employment elsewhere where such design "thoughts" will not do so much wrong.  

The attempt to convert "Maasdam" into some type of an excursion type cruise ship  for 21st Century guests was a worthy experiment to try.  It didn't work.  

This has been the story of Holland America Lines for too many years recently.  "We'ill try this and then that if this does not work."  

I am very hopeful that a new President who probably will bring into the Seattle office men and women who are intelligent and, I hope, experienced in the jobs that they are hired will bring the re-invention of Holland America Line that is required if HAL is to survive.  

19 hours ago, bob brown said:

Maybe because of the condition of the ships?  

This has been discussed before on CC, but why would an Amsterdam Officer tell a President's Club member that "the Amsterdam is rusting from the inside out"?  Copper John 10-8 disagrees with this post that I previously made with good information that he supplied that refutes what I was told.  

But, yet....

What's the rest of this story?  

• 1 month later...

The Amsterdam was my home for so many years. I did 11 of my 12 World Voyages, 6 Grand Asia’s and many bits in between on the Amsterdam. After 2050 sailing days on the Amsterdam, it will remain in my heart forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TanningPro said:

The Amsterdam was my home for so many years. I did 11 of my 12 World Voyages, 6 Grand Asia’s and many bits in between on the Amsterdam. After 2050 sailing days on the Amsterdam, it will remain in my heart forever.

You and a lot of people!  She was definitely home away from home.  I think I first met you on the 2008 Grand Asia.

Linda R.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

The last HAL cruise we took was on the Amsterdam in August-September 2019.  It was the 14-day Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle and we celebrated our actual 50th wedding anniversary date while on that cruise.  Since this was our first time on Amsterdam we had no idea what to expect but we thought the Amsterdam was a beautiful ship and looked forward to sailing on her again.   Sadly that won't happen now.  ☹️

I found this photo taken a year ago today on the Amsterdam.   Just posted it on the Daily thread but knew many of you here would enjoy seeing it.   Juneau, Alaska 8/30/2019

enhance

Our first ms Amsterdam adventure was the 2007 Grand Asia & Pacific Voyage.

We were thrilled to get to visit Petropavlosk in Russia.  As I climbed up out of the tender, "Welcome to Russia" in perfect English was my greeting, along with a strong hand .  Our HAL tour to a family dascha away from the city was fascinating.  Returning to port, I decided to enjoy more shopping inside the "terminal" building, since the tender line was so long.

We are sad to say farewell to the Amsterdam along with her excellent crew, staff, and officers.

Barbara

2007-1 (278) 'Welcome.To.Russia'.jpg

2007-1 (392) CruiseShipPassengers.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bcummin said:

Our first ms Amsterdam adventure was the 2007 Grand Asia & Pacific Voyage.

We were thrilled to get to visit Petropavlosk in Russia.  As I climbed up out of the tender, "Welcome to Russia" in perfect English was my greeting, along with a strong hand .  Our HAL tour to a family dascha away from the city was fascinating.  Returning to port, I decided to enjoy more shopping inside the "terminal" building, since the tender line was so long.

We are sad to say farewell to the Amsterdam along with her excellent crew, staff, and officers.

Barbara

2007-1 (278) 'Welcome.To.Russia'.jpg

2007-1 (392) CruiseShipPassengers.jpg

My memory of this port's experience is precisely the same as yours except mine was in 2002 on Volendam's Maiden Asia Pacific Cruise.  After that welcome, there were 2 citizens offering welcoming a traditional "bread and salt" welcome and a small music group.

Petropavlosk remains a special port in my memory.  So unique; so natural; so foreign to this American; my first Asian port.  

Like you, I made a visit to their gift shop at the pier, but I don't recall buying anything.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TanningPro said:

I suspect we have sailed together on more than one cruise.  If you are whom I think you are, many of us have enjoyed your photos over the years.  "It will remain in my heart forever."  As Amsterdam ought to do.  Your feelings for Amsterdam are what I feel about Rotterdam V.    

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I suspect we have sailed together on more than one cruise.  If you are whom I think you are, many of us have enjoyed your photos over the years.  "It will remain in my heart forever."  As Amsterdam ought to do.  Your feelings for Amsterdam are what I feel about Rotterdam V.    

I’m sure we have sailed together, and I have taken many thousands of photos.  http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.com 

• Like 3

DH and I were invited to a lunch and Future Cruise presentation on board Amsterdam in 2018 and we immediately fell in love with her and decided we had to sail her someday. We got the opportunity to do that in 2019 on the coastal portion (Vancouver to San Diego) of the Inca Empires sailing, and enjoyed our few days aboard. We both cried out loud in dismay when we heard her farewell horn from our hotel in San Diego the last evening, knowing our lovely ship was going on without us. We cried again when we learned she was sold. 😥

Here is a picture of her in Monterey, and of the beautiful astrolabe.

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_4881.JPG

• Like 1

I have a very fond memory and a funny story that we still laugh about.  We did a 7 day Amsterdam cruise to Alaska out of Seattle in 2000.  We were fortunate enough to have the Penthouse suite and were sailing with friends who were staying in a cabin down the hall.  One night we decided to eat dinner in the suite.  This was long before specialty restaurants or even a Neptune lounge.  The suite had a wonderful dining room well stocked with China and silver and crystal.  We were so disappointed that they just brought the food on a plastic tray with plastic covers and left it on the dining room table.  Back then they must have had a concierge for suites as I talked to someone named Snookie.  She asked if she could make it up to us the following evening.  That evening was memorable.  They sent someone in advance to set up the dining room table and had two spectacular waiters serve us course by course.  We had officers stop by to chat as well.  After that it seemed as though Snookie would call us every hour for the remainder of the cruise to see if we needed anything.  It became almost comical with respect to how often the phone rang.  To this day when I want something I will often say “just call Snookie.”

We never had the pleasure of sailing that grand lady again but will always cherish those memories.

• Like 2

We’ve been very fortunate to have sailed aboard the Amsterdam many times always good times in remote destinations around the world. Captain Mercer positioning for one of the ports. Papua, New Guinea boy in a dugout canoe. The Amsterdam security team making sure we were safe in pirate territory. The last picture of them waiting final word for the last cruise passengers for disembarkation in Fremantle Australia March 2020. 
 We all hope to continue the tradition on the Zaandam 

FA785B4D-77DA-4992-B5C9-148CD7B5A802.jpeg

9F017C20-4D23-4A9D-A546-54FF3E055EE7.jpeg

58DE9EB6-DD05-4644-B540-67B8BF02F5DD.jpeg

63A1FD57-DE39-4DFD-879B-156D72017292.jpeg

• Like 2