Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
JP82

Solo Traveller, but not in a studio cabin.

Recommended Posts

On epic next year, but sailing in a standard Inside rather than a Studio (it was cheaper??).

 

Does this mean I wouldn't be able to use the Solo lounge near the Studio cabins, and attend the solo meetings there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone travelling solo can use the Studio Lounge.  When I had a balcony on the Epic I had to go to reception and ask them to adjust my card though because it didn't allow access.  I've had my cruise in an inside cancelled this year :-(  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's good to know. When I was in a solo cabin, we unlocked the doors every day for the solo meet hour at about 5:00pm.  But I did not hear about those coming from other cabins getting access full time.

 

I loved the solo lounge for a quiet area to sit in the morning with decent coffee and juice and pastries. And so close to my solo cabin!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have stayed in solo cabins and balcony. Only those staying in a studio cabins  have key cards that will open the door to the studio area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JP82 said:

Does this mean I wouldn't be able to use the Solo lounge near the Studio cabins, and attend the solo meetings there?

 

2 hours ago, Happy2b@sea said:

Anyone travelling solo can use the Studio Lounge.  When I had a balcony on the Epic I had to go to reception and ask them to adjust my card though because it didn't allow access. 

 

This is my understanding, as well. Any solo on the ship can use the solo lounge and attend the solo meetings there. Also, NCL will have an assigned ship staffer in the solo lounge during the meetings who will make dinner, show, etc reservations for groups of solos. NCL has done a good job welcoming solo cruisers.

 

As a future solo cruiser myself, I appreciate the fact that you do not have to be in a studio cabin to have access to the studio lounge and be included with the other solo cruisers on the ship (if you want to). I'm not a big fan of the studio cabins. Too small, no balcony or ocean view (virtual doesn't do it for me) and as JP82 pointed out, sometimes you can get a standard inside (maybe even an OV) cabin cheaper than a studio.

 

I will keep my eye out for for balcony cabins (got to have me a balcony, lol) on cruises with no/low solo supplements or even on special deals that apply to solos as well.

 

Happy solo cruising (when cruising ever does resume) and stay well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the swift answers!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, waterjock said:

I have stayed in solo cabins and balcony. Only those staying in a studio cabins  have key cards that will open the door to the studio area.

 

This may be the case initially as you get on board but as Happy2b@sea's post (#2) above says, all you have to do is go to the reception desk and they will adjust your card to give you access to the studio area/lounge. NCL is very solo friendly to all solo cruisers on board.

Edited by farmersfight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually asked the Hotel Director about this the last time I was on the Epic.   His word was that solo guests who are not in Studio cabins may attend the solo gatherings BUT are not to have access 24/7 to the lounge since that was a perk of booking Studio cabins.

 

Then again, the lounge except for the Happy Hour meeting was rarely used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A non studio solo. Does NOT have access to the lounge except for the solo meeting posted in the Freestyle daily.    
 

Don’t expect an “exception “ to be available to you-  which you aren’t paying for.   
 

I have known people to “get” rekeyed but I’ve seen it denied more recently.   And I would- never expect it now with social distancing.    
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can NOT make assumptions and claims ALL solos will have access to the lounge.   Especially with some above reports basing this on maybe a couple cruises- over who knows how long ago. 
 

Terms are-  it is ONLY for the studios.   

 

With social distancing,  I would count on - NO access- if you are not staying in a studio.    
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It IS called the "Studio Lounge" after all, not the "Solo Lounge".  I agree with @Budget Queen in suggesting to not expect to get access except during the solo meet.  You could always befriend someone in the Studio section and have them let you in when you want to go there, but I had a balcony on my second Bliss trip last year and never found myself wanting to go in the lounge except for the solo meet a couple times.

 

I either asked on that second trip and was denied or I never bothered asking because people on my first trip had complained about asking for access and being denied.  My first trip last year was in a Studio cabin.  I did like that it was an exclusive area just as The Haven is, the only 2 sections of cabins where you either have to be staying there or know someone who is in order to get in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Happy2b@sea said:

Anyone travelling solo can use the Studio Lounge.  When I had a balcony on the Epic I had to go to reception and ask them to adjust my card though because it didn't allow access.  I've had my cruise in an inside cancelled this year 😞

This is not true.  The Studio Lounge is for the exclusive use of Studio passengers.  However, the lounge is opened up to other solos should the daily solo meeting be held there, but only at that time.  Barging into the Studio Lounge at other times is no different than barging into the Haven.

Edited by FLAHAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

 

 

This is my understanding, as well. Any solo on the ship can use the solo lounge and attend the solo meetings there. Also, NCL will have an assigned ship staffer in the solo lounge during the meetings who will make dinner, show, etc reservations for groups of solos. NCL has done a good job welcoming solo cruisers.

 

As a future solo cruiser myself, I appreciate the fact that you do not have to be in a studio cabin to have access to the studio lounge and be included with the other solo cruisers on the ship (if you want to). I'm not a big fan of the studio cabins. Too small, no balcony or ocean view (virtual doesn't do it for me) and as JP82 pointed out, sometimes you can get a standard inside (maybe even an OV) cabin cheaper than a studio.

 

I will keep my eye out for for balcony cabins (got to have me a balcony, lol) on cruises with no/low solo supplements or even on special deals that apply to solos as well.

 

Happy solo cruising (when cruising ever does resume) and stay well.

Your "understanding" is incorrect.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Your "understanding" is incorrect.    

 

Please, enlighten me then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, farmersfight said:

 

Please, enlighten me then.

Any solo can attend the meetings, and make use of the Studio Lounge at that time.  However unless you've befriended someone in a Studio and they let you in, if you're not staying in a Studio you're not getting access to that area outside of that time frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

This is not true.  The Studio Lounge is for the exclusive use of Studio passengers.  However, the lounge is opened up to other solos should the daily solo meeting be held there, but only at that time.  Barging into the Studio Lounge at other times is no different than barging into the Haven.

 

My bad. I thought I had read here from other solo cruisers (post #2) that the Studio Lounge was available to any solo cruiser on board. I stand corrected...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hallux said:

Any solo can attend the meetings, and make use of the Studio Lounge at that time.  However unless you've befriended someone in a Studio and they let you in, if you're not staying in a Studio you're not getting access to that area outside of that time frame.

 

Roger. See my post above. I have been enlightened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

 

My bad. I thought I had read here from other solo cruisers (post #2) that the Studio Lounge was available to any solo cruiser on board. I stand corrected...

Unfortunately,  some times,  a one time "exception" gets assumed as an entitled fact.   The #2 poster,  may have only had that access once,  and maybe at least a year ago. 

 

   Added to the mix-  the claim-  their key didn't allow access-   because-  it is a studio feature-  only.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Unfortunately,  some times,  a one time "exception" gets assumed as an entitled fact.   The #2 poster,  may have only had that access once,  and maybe at least a year ago. 

 

   Added to the mix-  the claim-  their key didn't allow access-   because-  it is a studio feature-  only.   

 

Got it, thanks. Thinking about it, it would be nice if NCL did allow access to the Studio Lounge to non-studio cabin solos. But, I do understand that the exclusivity of the lounge to only those in studio cabins is a nice perk. Maybe that's why the studio cabins are sometimes more than a regular inside or even OV cabin. Just wondering...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, farmersfight said:

 

This may be the case initially as you get on board but as Happy2b@sea's post (#2) above says, all you have to do is go to the reception desk and they will adjust your card to give you access to the studio area/lounge. NCL is very solo friendly to all solo cruisers on board.

If you read all the follow up on your statement you will see that what i said was the correct NCL rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, waterjock said:

If you read all the follow up on your statement you will see that what i said was the correct NCL rule.

 

And...if you read my follow up in posts #16 & 17, I have already acknowledged that what you said was the correct NCL rule. Perhaps it is you that should read all the follow up including mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been on a couple of ships where I have been in outside cabins and my card was chipped to accept 24/7 access to the Studio Lounge.  This was a few years ago and I agree, with social distancing this might not be allowed.  To be honest, if you are in an outside cabin and getting fresh air and daylight the only time you'd be bothered about the Studio Lounge is at the meet ups and as someone has previously said, once you've met some of the people in the Studios they will let you in anyway!  The itinerary for the Epic is full on and you are off the ship for a lot of the time unless you just like sunbathing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Happy2b@sea said:

the only time you'd be bothered about the Studio Lounge is at the meet ups and as someone has previously said, once you've met some of the people in the Studios they will let you in anyway!

 

Except on the 2 trips I did that wasn't an issue as the portside door got propped open to allow access for those not in the Studio area.  Which door it was (it was chosen because of the proximity to the actual lounge entrance) became an issue for some as they were near the starboard side entrance to the Studio section and complained that the door on their side was not opened and nobody heard them knocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...