New Flagship(s)?

Roz

2 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

I am not asking to start a controversy but because I am curious to know.  What does a flagship do and who cares? 

Maybe like a king or queen, a figurehead?

I think it was originally a naval term that signified it was the commander's ship, or something along those lines.

Later (for passenger/commercial ships) it became a term that was used to more or less designate a ship that was the "pride or figurehead of the fleet".  So, for example, the Queen Mary was for years the flagship for Cunard. Or the Normandie was the flaship for the  Compagnie Générale Transatlantique.

• Like 3

The Rotterdam has always been the Flagship.  The Amsterdam became the second, and nicer, flagship in late summer of 2000. The Amsterdam was a wonderful ship.  Perhaps the ship after the Ryndam will be either a Rotterdam or Amsterdam.

3 minutes ago, Himself said:

The Rotterdam has always been the Flagship.  The Amsterdam became the second, and nicer, flagship in late summer of 2000. The Amsterdam was a wonderful ship.  Perhaps the ship after the Ryndam will be either a Rotterdam or Amsterdam.

Let's hope so, or even bring the two sisters together into the fleet.

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

I am not asking to start a controversy but because I am curious to know.  What does a flagship do and who cares? 

I think it goes back to the days of yore and the signals from the commander to the fleet were sent by flags hoisted on the commander's ship (ie flag ship).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

I think it goes back to the days of yore and the signals from the commander to the fleet were sent by flags hoisted on the commander's ship (ie flag ship).

You might be correct

19 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Let's hope so, or even bring the two sisters together into the fleet.

It would have to be a new class ship.  However it will be larger than the Pinnacle.  I would like to have HAL put a new Rotterdam and Amsterdam on the Signature class but I doubt that will happen.

• Like 1

HAL flagships:

Statendam III (1929-1938)

Nieuw Amsterdam II (1938-1959)

Rotterdam V (1959-1997)

Rotterdam VI (1997-2020) & Amsterdam III (2000-2020) co-flagships

My two cents are on Koningsdam getting the title

Holland America Line - Amsterdam III (after Gym expansion).jpg

Holland America Line - Nieuw Amsterdam II.jpg

Holland America Line - Rotterdam V (blue - now hotel ship in Rotterdam for Stoomschip Rotterdam).jpg

Holland America Line - Rotterdam VI (after Gym expansion).jpg

Holland America Line - Statendam III #2.jpg

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Actually it came from the olden days when you where promoted past captain (Commodore, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, etc.) you became a Flag Officer and were entitled to fly a flag denoting your rank from the mast head of the ship on which you served. In the days of sail you also communicated orders via Flags from your Flagship to the subordinate ships. Another small factoid is that the captain of your ship was also know as the Flag Captain and would be considered the Senior Captain in the Squadron/Fleet you commanded. 

In the commercial world its a prestige thing. The newest, best or otherwise considered superior ship is designated the Flagship of your fleet. Posting as Captain to that ship is considered a plum assignment. For example, the Amsterdam (previous co-flagship) primarily did World/Grand tours for HAL. 

Edited by drowelf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

HAL flagships:

Statendam III (1929-1938)

Nieuw Amsterdam II (1938-1959)

Rotterdam V (1959-1997)

Rotterdam VI (1997-2020) & Amsterdam III (2000-2020) co-flagships

My two cents are on Koningsdam getting the title

Holland America Line - Amsterdam III (after Gym expansion).jpg

Holland America Line - Nieuw Amsterdam II.jpg

Holland America Line - Rotterdam V (blue - now hotel ship in Rotterdam for Stoomschip Rotterdam).jpg

Holland America Line - Rotterdam VI (after Gym expansion).jpg

Holland America Line - Statendam III #2.jpg

I hope you are wrong John  I would rather see the new Ryndam get the title.  I think a new ship should get the Title!

Edited by Himself
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Himself said:

I hope you are wrong John  I would rather see the new Ryndam get the title.  I think a new ship should get the Title!

I get that Father, but you can't go higher than the King 😉

• Like 6

Maybe they should build a completely new ship, compatible with new social distancing regulations. They could name it the ms Divoc, which is Covid backwards. After all, Covid is changing the face of cruising ... possibly forever.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jhannah said:

Maybe they should build a completely new ship, compatible with new social distancing regulations. They could name it the ms Divoc, which is Covid backwards. After all, Covid is changing the face of cruising ... possibly forever.

A very currently and realistic post, I think.  

An entirely new Class of ships may need to be designed and built.  Rotterdam VII ought to be her name.  A twin funneled vessel would be most appreciated by this HAL cruiser.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jhannah said:

Thank you for the reality check!

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

An entirely new Class of ships may need to be designed and built.  Rotterdam VII ought to be her name.  A twin funneled vessel would be most appreciated by this HAL cruiser.  

I think once Ryndam is delivered it will be a minimum of 5-7 years before we see a new vessel ordered for the HAL brand. New deliveries will most likely be around the time Volendam/Zaandam are phased out.

As as far as a new Flagship - I'd  be willing to wager money on Zaandam and possibly Volendam receiving the moniker, as they will be the vessels to do the Grand Voyages going forward. It's not always the size of vessel, but rather their assignment to prestige routes. 

• Like 1