Cruise Credit??

QShip

As part of our decision to take a voucher we will apparently receive a 25% 'cruisecredit'.  It is not at all clear what this means, but we are presuming we will receive an onboard credit to spend on the ship of 25%  of our original fare, rather than any adjustment to the new fare (other than the 10% discount on the new voyage).

Take into consideration when you re-book, things will probably be better in the industry and fares will be higher than even the 25% they gave you. It may be a more expensive cruise but still the same cruise, sigh!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

My understanding is that if your refund credit was $1000 you would have a credit of $1250 to put toward a new booking.  You could do a more expensive cruise, book a more expensive cabin, etc.

This is correct - have just done it myself. The extra 25% cruise credit are only for the money you have already paid into Hurtigruten's coffers. In our case we got it for the deposit we had paid and thus reduced our new fare. The 10% reduction then are for the whole rate of the voyage - if the rate is, for example 10.000 $, you pay a 1000 & less.

The system worked out quite well for us.

But all of you cruise friends across the big pond: please consider the restrictions especially the Nordic countries still have in allowing somebody inside their borders especially for countries where the pandemic is still raging. And they might ( and I think they will) rapidly take back any concessions if cases arise in countries anew in larger numbers.

Hurtigruten for example only allowed the first voyages into Norway ( from Hamburg in June/July) without ever letting the passengers get off the ship. The next voyages starting at the end of July will allow landings, but not in bigger cities - kayaking, fjord cruising and hikes and a few museum visits will be allowed.

The other German and European cruise lines to Norway will have to start without having any chance of docking and having excursions, at least for the next 2 months or so. So they offer a few days on the North Sea, Costa will start exclusively for Italian tourists in Italian ports etc.

Has anyone experienced refusing a cruise line credit in order to be reimbursed by travel insurance?

Our departure date was March 30th, we cancelled on March 13 (that's when Canada issued its first travel advisory notice for cruises).  We had insurance, filed the claim with proof on penalty and everything, and of course it took forever for the insurance company to treat our file.  In between now and then, Celebrity Cruises issued us Confidence Future Cruise Credit (FCC), so now, my insurance doesn't want to reimbursed because they have checked with my TA (and or CC) and received a verbal confirmation we have a credit.

Like many others, I don't know if we will be using these credits at any point in a short-medium future.  My TA advised me that I could refuse the credit, but I'm not sure if this would be setting up for a total failure... I'd rather have the credits if I'm lose everything...

Any similar experience to share?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, will be good information for when we rebook. 

What we are really interested in though is how and how long to receive the amount of the credit?  Cannot really plan without knowing the amount.