FP Opens to International Tourists - How is it going?

Mercruiser

3 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

Tourism: 1,521 self-tests analyzed and all negative

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Tourisme-1-521-auto-tests-analyses-et-tous-negatifs_a192932.html

This article is about the 4 day self tests for Covid. Sounds like it is going well so far.

But 15% of passengers on ATN did not showed up or were refused entry on planes flying to FP. And the 1500 test are only half of the test done. Lets take everything with a grain of salt.

The chief executive also reassured representatives of fears of the virus being imported into Polynesia by American tourists. "It is reported to us that many American visitors are discouraged by the constraints that we have put in place. Nearly 15% of the passengers are not boarded in Los Angeles, either by refusal of Air Tahiti Nui or by no presentation at the counter. This is to tell you that the arrival of American tourists in French Polynesia is quite restrictive and does not happen en masse. The negative RT-PCR test required of each boarding passenger constitutes an efficient filter which maximizes our health security. "

The first returns quantified by the airline Air Tahiti Nui since July 15: Los Angeles - Papeete flights are 50% full, while Papeete - Los Angeles flights are 20%.

https://www.tahiti-infos.com/Tourisme-1-521-auto-tests-analyses-et-tous-negatifs_a192932.html

Posted this on the Windstar board as after PG starts running cruises in a week, Wind Spirit starts in October.

Spoke with a United agent who said United will be offering the correct test at SFO, the SARS-CoV-2 RNA, in the airport. It's not the rapid test that is unacceptable. Said that results are available in 2 hours. If test is positive a flight credit will be given.

Note**** please don't make flight reservations based on this. This is one agent I spoke with. I'd rather see it in writing before I'd make plans.

United however is allowing changes for any reservations made prior to July 31, 2020.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Posted this on the Windstar board as after PG starts running cruises in a week, Wind Spirit starts in October.

Spoke with a United agent who said United will be offering the correct test at SFO, the SARS-CoV-2 RNA, in the airport. It's not the rapid test that is unacceptable. Said that results are available in 2 hours. If test is positive a flight credit will be given.

Note**** please don't make flight reservations based on this. This is one agent I spoke with. I'd rather see it in writing before I'd make plans.

United however is allowing changes for any reservations made prior to July 31, 2020.

Good to know as I'll be flying United from SFO next spring. Staying the night before at a hotel close to SFO so no problem being there early. Hopefully all this is gone in the next few months and no testing will be required.

14 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Good to know as I'll be flying United from SFO next spring. Staying the night before at a hotel close to SFO so no problem being there early. Hopefully all this is gone in the next few months and no testing will be required.

Gee TBK, I can't see this being a thing of the past anytime soon or in March when you go. If anything it appears the virus will climb again in the fall and winter. Unfortunately travelers going anywhere are going to be saddled with concerns about flying or getting testing to keep everyone safe. Great that your flights arrive day prior- I think I'll arrange mine for the same.

I really hope that the United agent gave me the straight scoop as the SARS-CoV-2 RNA test is the more involved of the two tests. It usually requires a big lab with a lot of space like a hospital or independent lab, unless they are sending specimens out for exam. The molecular (antigen) test is the rapid test often giving results in 5 min like they do for Emirates. In any case, arriving a day early can't hurt.

• Like 1

All - Glad to see some good activity on the Pacific Islands board. It was getting too quiet here.

Dandee2 - I view the news so far as good news, because I'm looking at it from the perspective of keeping Covid out of FP. Keeping Covid out will require:

1) Denied boarding for anyone trying to check in for their PPT flight without correct Covid test paperwork,

2) Successful 4-day screenings in FP as a backstop against any cases that leak through the pre-flight screening (and people who develop covid after they take the first test).

3) Tourists respecting and honoring FP rules and etiquette for Covid, such as masking and distancing

If these steps fail, FP will clamp down on tourism - and that's not what anybody wants.

A lot of people are justifiably nervous about the requirement for a valid negative COVID-19 test 72 hours prior to boarding. I am in Spokane now, and it's taking 7+ days for the average person to get tests results. This is a big problem for public health and a problem for travelers.

FP is one of many, many destinations with the 72 hour test requirement. The airline industry will be very motivated to come up with a predictable testing process. If they cannot do this successfully, business and leisure travelers will be less likely to fly. 

I have hope that this testing process will be streamlined over the next few months. But I think it is completely unrealistic to plan on Covid going away any time soon. I am sad to say, the world, and my home country, are currently setting new daily records for infections, hospitalizations, and deaths.  Anyone planning an international trip in the foreseeable future had better be prepared to travel in a world with Covid and Covid testing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

FP is one of many, many destinations with the 72 hour test requirement. The airline industry will be very motivated to come up with a predictable testing process. If they cannot do this successfully, business and leisure travelers will be less likely to fly. 

I have hope that this testing process will be streamlined over the next few months. But I think it is completely unrealistic to plan on Covid going away any time soon. I am sad to say, the world, and my home country, are currently setting new daily records for infections, hospitalizations, and deaths.  Anyone planning an international trip in the foreseeable future had better be prepared to travel in a world with Covid and Covid testing.

This should be posted in all the CC forums. You say it concisely and to the point. Plan for travel in the Covid world.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

Gil3 will be on the Paul Gauguin July 29 cruise. Hopefully they will post an update after they get back from their FP  holiday.

Gil3 added an additional post or two saying they will not be posting until the end of August. After PG they are boarding Aranui!

Hopefully some others will post or CC have an update.

The TripAdvisor Tahiti forum is pretty active right now. Lots of discussions about the problem of knowing exactly which Covid test will be accepted at airline checkin. Sounds very stressful. Glad I'm not going until Feb. I am hoping that the testing confusion will settle down in the next couple of months.

Also some threads about delays in opening the Moorea Hilton.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g309679-i1940-Tahiti_Society_Islands.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

The TripAdvisor Tahiti forum is pretty active right now. Lots of discussions about the problem of knowing exactly which Covid test will be accepted at airline checkin. Sounds very stressful. Glad I'm not going until Feb. I am hoping that the testing confusion will settle down in the next couple of months.

Also some threads about delays in opening the Moorea Hilton.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g309679-i1940-Tahiti_Society_Islands.html

Thanks Mercuiser. Reading now and it's discouraging. Hard to be among the early travelers- the stress 🤯

Like you, glad we're not till April.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 7:53 AM, Petoonya said:

I really hope that the United agent gave me the straight scoop as the SARS-CoV-2 RNA test is the more involved of the two tests. It usually requires a big lab with a lot of space like a hospital or independent lab, unless they are sending specimens out for exam. The molecular (antigen) test is the rapid test often giving results in 5 min like they do for Emirates. In any case, arriving a day early can't hurt.

Even though I don't travel till April 2021 on United from SFO,  wanted some assurance that getting the RT-PCR Covid in the terminal at SFO is the real deal. So I called United again to see what another agent would tell me.

And wouldn't you know- the first agent told me foreign travelers were not allowed to visit FP currently! When I told her that ATN had already begun flights and United's were scheduled for 8/4, she sputtered and had nothing more to say. So I spoke to a second agent who had the info right at her fingertips. There WILL be testing in the terminal and all that will be required is to arrive 4-5 hours before flight time. Directions on where in the terminal to get the test will be given when checking bags. As Mercruiser said we won't be the only international travelers requiring COVID testing.

It will be interesting in a few weeks to see how smooth this process was for passengers at SFO. ATN's roll out at LAX sounds like it was a disaster for some passengers, and a nailbiter for others. Hopefully it won't take too much longer for things to be streamlined.

18 hours ago, Petoonya said:

.So I spoke to a second agent who had the info right at her fingertips. There WILL be testing in the terminal and all that will be required is to arrive 4-5 hours before flight time. Directions on where in the terminal to get the test will be given when checking bags. 

Thank you for posting this valuable information.  If all goes well, I'll be on United's SFO-PPT in March. 

ATN sent out this update by email. I'm reading about this also on the TripAdvisor forumn. Part of the change is 3 days vs 72 hours, e.g. you can get tested Friday AM for a Monday 11pm flight.:

Air Tahiti Nui News Update

Simplified Entry to French Polynesia with Air Tahiti Nui:

Covid-19 test requirements have been simplified with the acceptance of the rapid Molecular RT-PRC test. These tests do not require a laboratory and maybe be processed in a medical facility in as little as one hour! The key points are that test must be a Molecular RT-PCR and not an antibody, antigen or serology (blood) test.

"Proof of a negative Covid-19 test (RT-PCR or PCR) molecular laboratory or rapid test, such as the Abbott ID Now Molecular test carried out within three days prior to their international air departure (e.g. if the flight departs on a Monday at 11pm, the passenger needs to take the test the preceding Friday). Antigen and antibody tests not accepted.

The results of this test must be negative and the medical document confirming this, and clearly indicating the type of test taken, issued by a Doctor, Hospital or Medical Clinic must be presented to airline staff upon check-in prior to boarding the flight to French Polynesia."

For more information on French Polynesia entry requirements and Air Tahiti Nui's flight schedule, please visit the following webpage: https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/french-polynesia-entry-requirements-air-tahiti-nui-flight-schedule-0

Edited by Mercruiser

• 3 weeks later...

CDC: Warning – Level 3, COVID-19 risk in French Polynesia is high, and new cases are increasing

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-french-polynesia

My comments: FP has a total of 190 cases, as of today. That's a big increase from basically zero. 

Spokane County, where I live, gets about 40 to 100 cases per day: https://srhd.org/covid19

Spokane county has a total of almost 5000 cases.

Seems to me, the French Polynesians are more likely to get Covid from American visitors than the other way around.

• 1 month later...

News: "United to offer Hawaii-bound passengers coronavirus tests, a possible blueprint for flights abroad"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/24/united-airlines-to-offer-coronavirus-tests-for-hawaii-bound-passengers-for-coronavirus.html

Starting Oct 15, "United plans to offer the tests for Hawaii-bound travelers at San Francisco International Airport as well as a mail-in testing option." “We are very interested in opening this up to other destinations,” Janet Lamkin, United’s California president.

It would be really great if this program is extended to Tahiti. Reading CC posts, it is clear the Covid testing uncertainty has contributed to some people cancelling their Windstar and PG cruises.

3 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

News: "United to offer Hawaii-bound passengers coronavirus tests, a possible blueprint for flights abroad"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/24/united-airlines-to-offer-coronavirus-tests-for-hawaii-bound-passengers-for-coronavirus.html

Starting Oct 15, "United plans to offer the tests for Hawaii-bound travelers at San Francisco International Airport as well as a mail-in testing option." “We are very interested in opening this up to other destinations,” Janet Lamkin, United’s California president.

It would be really great if this program is extended to Tahiti. Reading CC posts, it is clear the Covid testing uncertainty has contributed to some people cancelling their Windstar and PG cruises.

They'd have to get the rapid test approved by FP in order for it to help us. Which will be a dicey thing, seeing as how the rapid test is not as accurate as the PCR required now. I agree though- wouldn't it be wonderful for us all! You can even get one close to the airport at places like Stanford where they bill insurance or give it free.