Regal, Grand and Sea Princess to remain?

drsel

I anticipate an announcement in the next few weeks that Sun & Sea Princess will both be leaving the fleet. Grand & Pacific are less likely to leave, but not impossible. 

Princess gets better average yields, and has a higher brand recognition,  than many other brands in the Carnival Corporation so I anticipate a smaller fleet reduction. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I anticipate an announcement in the next few weeks that Sun & Sea Princess will both be leaving the fleet.

Out of curiosity, what would happen to cruises scheduled on these ships if they are sold/recycled?  We have an a

Alaska cruise on the Sun scheduled for June 2021.  Would they cancel or would they try to assign a different ship? (Obviously all assuming we are cruising at all in June 2021!)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drsel said:

I think Carnival is now done selling Cruise ships.
Already 19 gone

However they have not publicly announced exactly which 19 ships will be leaving.  Some have been reported, but not all.  I think a lot has to do with holding back until contracts are finalized.

3 minutes ago, jchowze said:

Out of curiosity, what would happen to cruises scheduled on these ships if they are sold/recycled?  We have an a

Alaska cruise on the Sun scheduled for June 2021.  Would they cancel or would they try to assign a different ship? (Obviously all assuming we are cruising at all in June 2021!)

I think there will be a LOT of redeployment announcements in the next few months.  Cruise operations will not all resume 100% once they are cleared to sail.  Some indicators are that it may take 18-24 months for the entire fleet to be reactivated.  Even the ships that do operate will most likely have some itinerary modifications.  There are a lot of moving parts and nothing is certain for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

I think Carnival is now done selling Cruise ships.
Already 19 gone

As of now here's what CCL has gotten rid of or looks like they are on the way out:

Carnival Fantasy (scrap)

Carnival Inspiration (rumor to be scrap)

HAL - Maasdam (?)

HAL - Veendam (?)

HAL - Amsterdam (going to Fred Olsen)

HAL - Rotterdam (also going to Fred)

Costa -NeoRomantica (sold to  Celestyal Cruises)

Costa - Mediteranea (transferring to CSSC May 2021)

Costa - Atlantica (transfered to CSSC Jan 2020)

Costa - Victoria (scrap)

P&O - Oceana(?)

Princess - Golden (transferring to P&O- Aus 2020)

Princess - Star (transerring to P&O - Aus 2021)

P&O - Aus - Pacific Aria (sold)

P&O-Aus  - Pacific Dawn (sold)

If you remove the transfers, there are still 4 more ships to go.  My thoughts:

Princess - Pacific

CCL - 2 more Fantasy Class

Updated list

Previously sold

Costa neoClassica sold to Bahamas Paradise

Costa neoRiviera sold to AIDA (group Co.)

Costa Atlantica - sold to Carnival-China JV

Costa Mediterranea - sold to Carnival-China JV

P&O Aus Pacific Aria - sold to CMV, early departure

P&O Aus Pacific Dawn-sold to CMV, early departure

Confirmed

Costa Victoria - sold for scrap

P&O Oceana sold to Greek buyer-Chinese interests

HAL Maasdam

HAL Veendam

HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen

HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen

Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises

Golden Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Star Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Very Likely

Carnival Fascination - sold for scrap

Carnival Inspiration - sold for scrap

Carnival Elation - sold for scrap

Carnival Imagination - sold for scrap

Carnival Ecstasy - sold for scrap

Carnival Fantasy- sold for scrap

14 minutes ago, drsel said:

Updated list

Previously sold

Costa neoClassica sold to Bahamas Paradise

Costa neoRiviera sold to AIDA (group Co.)

Costa Atlantica - sold to Carnival-China JV

Costa Mediterranea - sold to Carnival-China JV

P&O Aus Pacific Aria - sold to CMV, early departure

P&O Aus Pacific Dawn-sold to CMV, early departure

Confirmed

Costa Victoria - sold for scrap

P&O Oceana sold to Greek buyer-Chinese interests

HAL Maasdam

HAL Veendam

HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen

HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen

Costa neoRomantica - sold to Celestyal Cruises

Golden Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Star Princess - internal transfer to P&O Australia

Very Likely

I think you're spot on. Removing those 5 transfers (does the corp get $$s for the transfers to the new Chinese JV?) leaves space for the 6 Carnival ones you mentioned + Sea / Sun / Pacific. (I have fond memories of the Sea Princess).  I don't think we're done at 19. I'm still thinking anything before 2000. And some 2000 ships (Grand) and anything they can turn a profit on. 

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Since 19 ships are already sold, (excluding neoclassica and neoRiviera, which were sold much earlier), I was hoping that Carnival does not sell Sea, Grand and Regal Princess

Why would Regal be sold?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We were on the Sea Princess last year for a 28 day cruise around Australia.  We were sad to see the current condition of the ship.  It's time for the Sea Princess to leave the Princess fleet...

Sad. That was our first ship and the one that made us fall in love with cruising - even though we had the tiniest inside cabin imaginable. A323 - it was only 135 sq. ft. We had rough weather the first night and next day that bounced us all over the cabin and all over the buffet. No matter. It was a wonderful cruise and hooked us big time.

Regal is new compared to other ships, there is no way at 5 years old that ship is going anywhere

I loved the Sea Princess, my first longer, B2B cruise was on the Sea Princess.  A 7 day plus a Transatlantic Southampton to NYC.  The 7 day was something they thought they'd try, it wasn't a big hit with Brits.  We went to Guernsey, France, Spain, 2005, ship was in great shape then.  It was when I learned being on Plaza Deck wasn't a bad thing so convenient when you come from a port visit via tender and everyone is crowding for elevators.  

I've adjusted to the Royal class ships but some of my best cruises were on Princess smaller ships.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drsel said:

Very Likely

You called it!

in Curacao for the past week “offloading heavy equipment” before filing voyage plans for Izmir, Turkey.

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-inspiration-reportedly-sold-heads-to-cruise-scrapyard/amp/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jchowze said:

Holland America has sold the four ships listed in other posts. Most of the people who had bookings on them were notified that their cruises were cancelled and were referred to a list of possible alternatives**. Some of the voyages were transferred to another ship so that there was no need to rebook.

**For some of the cancelled itineraries there was no alternative equivalent on a different ship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

Totally agree...

Our October 10th cruise to the Mexican Rivera on the Royal hasn't been cancelled yet, our final payment is due in August.

But we are on the verge of cancelling. Even if it sails, it would be the second cruise out of L.A. Since the pause. There will be a lot of bugs to work out with the new system, and no reassurance from Mexico either.

since our March cruise was cancelled five days prior to departure, we have really looked forward to this one.

Just don't know what to do.

As for the ships, I will miss them too. We renewed our vows on the Sea Princess, Valentine's day 2007, our r/t Lo s Angeles to Hawaii were both on the Grand and the Star that are moving to P&O. We will miss the small ship cruising.

• Like 1

It was announced last year that the Golden and Star were being transferred to P&O so nothing new.  The Grand had its Skywalkers night club removed several years ago because its supports were metal and had metal fatigue.  It was cheaper to remove it than rebuild it.  The Golden and Star Skywalkers was made from composite material much like modern commercial aircraft.  

We are scheduled to be on the Sun Princess in July 2021 for the first time.  Hopefully the ship will still be in the Princess fleet at that time and the ship will indeed sail.  Our second cruise back in early 2000's was on the Elation and almost convinced us to never sail again as it was a tub and should have been scrapped at that time.  Two years later our first Princess cruise was on the Grand and as they say the rest is history.  

17 hours ago, drsel said:

Very Likely

4 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Our second cruise back in early 2000's was on the Elation and almost convinced us to never sail again as it was a tub and should have been scrapped at that time.  Two years later our first Princess cruise was on the Grand and as they say the rest is history.  

I thought it was interesting that the Carnival ships would be scrapped.

Usually, the mainstream cruise lines sell their old ships to other operators.

I think it reflects badly on the brand to have even a single ship that should be scrapped, still sailing.

The people who cruise on (only) that ship form an opinion of the cruiseline based on the

experience.

It is also long past time for Grand to go.   Ever since the bris...

• Haha 1