CDC extends no-sail order for cruises until Oct. 1

Turn 8A

9 hours ago, mrlevin said:

217,000+ new cases in Europe on 22 October and they are still cruising; around 70,000+ in USA and we are not.  Time to open USA ports.

Marc

I agree.  New Cruise ship rules will make them safer than malls and schools.  Doing ships's tours also should mitigate risk.  Let's go Regent!!

• Like 2

On 10/22/2020 at 11:39 PM, mrlevin said:

217,000+ new cases in Europe on 22 October and they are still cruising; around 70,000+ in USA and we are not.  Time to open USA ports.

Marc

Which ports? New York doesn’t want anyone. Miami is a hot spot. 

Nothing really new in this release, I think, summing up various lines' status and hopes at this point, but I did think it was a nice digest.  I'm personally assuming we'll see some sort of hail mary pitch in the US prior to November 3 to start cruising from Florida, but with so many of VP Pence's staff in COVID positive restrictions, who knows what movement there might be, IMO.

del Rio said: 

At Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, President and CEO Frank Del Rio has said it would take at least 60 days to get a ship sail-ready.

Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises have suspended service through November, and Del Rio has stated he's in ' no rush to be the first one out of the gate,' adding: 'I want to do things correctly.'

And health & safety panel chair Gottlieb said

Meanwhile, coronavirus cases and hospitalizations are on the rise stateside, with former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb, Healthy Sail Panel co-chair, warning Sunday on 'Face the Nation' that the US is at a 'dangerous tipping point.'

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ship-operations/us-based-cruise-industry-waiting-game

Can we have some REALITY !!!!!

Cruising cannot and will not sail until Spring 2021 at the earliest.

The ships are not in the US, they will take 60 days minimum to get ready

How will the crew and international passengers get to embarkation? At present USA is off limits to Brits

As to using Florida locations- REALITY  re recent covid-19 figures

People need to be more concerned that Regent will get through this and not go under , after a year with no sailings the ships will need a lot of TLC to get back to the standard expected. all those FCC's we have $40000 in this currency, How safe is it?

• Like 4

We are booked on the Splendor for early next February from Miami around the Caribbean.

This was rebooked from a Med cruise that was due to take place in July and obviously suspended.

I have a view and even given the current situation, that this cruise will happen as one of the first ships Regent will want to get sailing is the Splendor, however, with reduced capacity( only 750 to start with) and restrictions on UK travellers, i believe that we will be bumped and the only passengers (quite rightly) will be from the U.S

Do others share my view?

• Like 2

Ok, it's Princess but this isn't a good sign, I think

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/princess-cruises-announces-extension-of-pause-of-operations-in-australia-through-end-of-may-2021-301161139.html

Personally, I wouldn't be optimistic about cruise travel til second quarter 2021 at the earliest.  Then again, 2020 has been filled with events that would have been unbelievable in the most far out Tom Clancy novels.

31 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Ok, it's Princess but this isn't a good sign, I think

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/princess-cruises-announces-extension-of-pause-of-operations-in-australia-through-end-of-may-2021-301161139.html

Personally, I wouldn't be optimistic about cruise travel til second quarter 2021 at the earliest.  Then again, 2020 has been filled with events that would have been unbelievable in the most far out Tom Clancy novels.

Crystal has cancelled all ocean sailings until April.  Silversea has cancelled all December sailings.  RCG operations update tomorrow and we should learn more.  NCLH would rather be a follower than a leader; it is hard being number three.

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

The ships are currently staffed and being maintained. The crew will get about 30 days notice prior to a departure. Plan is to fly crew into a port that they are allowed into and have the ship meet them there.

Interesting information but, not the long pole in the startup process.  FDR has recently stated 60 days to get a ship up and running and has also said it will be a gradual startup beginning with a single ship from each cruise line so even if starting right now the earliest first ship not until January  yet final payments are being taken as well as bookings for December??????

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Ask Regent.

Ask Regent what??   I shared facts did not ask any questions.  Plus 30 day notification for crew means 30 days before on board date not ready to sail with passenger date.  Still need training on the new equipment an protocols.

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

He said 60 days but these ships are still staffed and being exercised. They are not in storage. 30 days

For sure minimally staffed and if in storage more than 60 days.   Ships still need modifications once the final requirements are released and that takes procurement and modification/installation time.  No way 30 days at this point in time. 

Edited by rallydave

Advance notice to the crew +

positioning of ships to the right location +

moving crew to the right location +

provisioning the ships +

training for new procedures +

whatever else =

probably closer to 60 days, as FDR has previously estimated

Perhaps the mobilization can be quicker, as we all hope...  whenever that time comes.

Many of those items can be done concurrently and some work has begun on the ships. Having said that, I don't think they are sailing anywhere anytime soon....but the fact that some of the ships are currently staffed with over 120 people means that they HOPE to.

• Thanks 1

We have a cruise on the Splendor in Feb. If we have a vaccine and we can cruise without a mask we will be there.  We are of the age where a vaccine is important to us even if it is a yearly one as it probably will be.

We have two long Regent cruises booked starting the 2022 Grand Arctic and the 2023 WC. Hopefully at least one will sail without a mask requirement and provide the experience we are accustom to on Regent. Fortunately we have some time before final payment. For us, no cruises wearing a mask.

Personally I feel NCL should cancel all cruises through Feb or March now and get their customers out of this horrible limbo we are living with now. There will no vaccine widely available before then. And what will be needed for countries to start opening up.

The cruise lines can arrange cruises on short notice just like Europe has done for the first cruises after the CDC lifts the no sail order. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rivercruisevirgin said:

I have a view and even given the current situation, that this cruise will happen as one of the first ships Regent will want to get sailing is the Splendor, however, with reduced capacity( only 750 to start with) and restrictions on UK travellers, i believe that we will be bumped and the only passengers (quite rightly) will be from the U.S

Where does the number of 750 come from?  That's the passenger capacity of Splendor.  Do you mean total number of people onboard, including crew?  

But I agree with you that it' not likely that they'll allow UK passengers, if the US is closed to you.

3 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Advance notice to the crew +

positioning of ships to the right location +

moving crew to the right location +

provisioning the ships +

training for new procedures +

whatever else =

probably closer to 60 days, as FDR has previously estimated

Perhaps the mobilization can be quicker, as we all hope...  whenever that time comes.

Appears that NCLH is already getting crew ready.  Saw some action on Facebook indicating that crew was sent to Manila hotel(s) for quarantine and are now onboard Norwegian Joy which according to Marine Traffic is still in Manila Harbor (perhaps waiting for more crew to arrive?).  When the ship moves it appears that it will be taking those onboard to their ship assignments on NCL/Oceania/Regent.  That's all I know at the moment.   

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kwaj girl said:

Appears that NCLH is already getting crew ready.  Saw some action on Facebook indicating that crew was sent to Manila hotel(s) for quarantine and are now onboard Norwegian Joy which according to Marine Traffic is still in Manila Harbor (perhaps waiting for more crew to arrive?).  When the ship moves it appears that it will be taking those onboard to their ship assignments.  That's all I know at the moment.   

Thanks for this info. 

I had speculated on another posting (can't recall which board) that the first inkling we'd have about a broader restart would be from social media comments regarding the crew.  Perhaps this is an encouraging sign.  

• Like 1