CDC extends no-sail order for cruises until Oct. 1

Turn 8A

France and Germany appear to be back into substantial lockdown.  

https://www.msn.com/en-my/news/world/france-and-germany-plunge-back-into-lockdown-as-second-covid-19-wave-sweeps-europe/ar-BB1au8u6?pfr=1 

My own state had done well for a while...now, thanks rapidly rising rates and 'rebellion' by those who appear to be pandemic fatigued or just not willing to accept what's happening, IMO, we're plunging back into closures.  And, haven't even hit the 'let's all get together without masks' holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.  

I wish  professionals in so many agencies the strength to follow their principles, no matter what pressures they feel from 'higher up'.

5 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

Advance notice to the crew +

positioning of ships to the right location +

moving crew to the right location +

provisioning the ships +

training for new procedures +

whatever else =

One of the "whatever else" items would be on board quarantine of the crew.  Most (if not all) of the cruises that have started up so far have quarantined newly arriving crew in their cabins for 7-10-14 days and then retesting them before they can start their duties on the ship.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

One of the "whatever else" items would be on board quarantine of the crew.  Most (if not all) of the cruises that have started up so far have quarantined newly arriving crew in their cabins for 7-10-14 days and then retesting them before they can start their duties on the ship.

Other of the "whatever else" items are single quarters for the crew, medical facilities equipment and medical, ventilation, contracts for evacuation and hospitals on land, air filtration equipment and installation, etc.

Lots of "whatever else" and sure I missed a lot of them.

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Lots of "whatever else" and sure I missed a lot of them.

Yes, many things will need to be done and obtained.  But RJ2002 and I were only referring to the amount of time from the decision to sail until actually sailing.

• Like 1

So the CDC posted an update earlier this week recommending cruise ship travel should be deferred:

https://www.traveloffpath.com/the-cdc-warns-u-s-travelers-against-travel-on-cruise-ships-worldwide/

So far they have not extended the ban beyond October, so I wonder if this is good news?  Will they lift the ban and just issue recommendations so that people who wish to cruise can do so, or am I missing something? 

Edited by shemansl
spelling

And this gives del Rio the opportunity to put friends and family on the ships as he said he would - see 'volunteers'.  Kind of a win/win, yes?

That's a good point about the simulated cruises - will the lines have to demonstrate how they'd execute everything on both their 'best' ships and their 'worst' ships?  I would think so.  But maybe the first physical sailings can be on their 'best' ships?

And I know I still want to see signed sealed and delivered agreements and contracts with on land medical facilities.

Going to make a cup of tea and go through the document more slowly.  

On page 24 does say none of the volunteers for the test sailings can have preexisting conditions that would place them at high risk re COVID.  I know that would let me out - but guessing it also excludes a lot of people who would 'parallel' a big chunk of the typical cruise ship demographics.  Am I reading and extrapolating correctly?

But makes sense, definitely, IMO.

• Like 1