March Refunds Only - is there a "big black hole"

cellfree

An article about the possibility of standardizing rules for refunds in the cruise industry popped up in my email last evening. One paragraph talked about how many cruisers are going the credit card dispute route and how this is adding extra work for cruise lines and delaying refunds. Well after waiting since March 14 for our refunds, I do not think it is unreasonable to go the credit card route. What else can someone do when all other avenues have been exhausted?!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, juraspark said:

I haven't wanted to go the cc route as I will have to drag my spouse into this as I used his card to pay for the spa! It was his anniversary gift to me, He hates having to deal with refunds and exchanges and banks.

On line for our CC there is a dispute charge button next to each charge.  Click that and write a brief reason as to why you should get a refund (all we said was that cruise was canceled by MSC on X, told us they would refund by Y, they have not).  Then it was a matter of waiting 2 months for MSC not to respond and the funds were cleared as ours to keep.  Really simple and no actual interaction beyond typing a small bit.

Edited by aprilF
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cellfree said:

An article about the possibility of standardizing rules for refunds in the cruise industry popped up in my email last evening. One paragraph talked about how many cruisers are going the credit card dispute route and how this is adding extra work for cruise lines and delaying refunds. Well after waiting since March 14 for our refunds, I do not think it is unreasonable to go the credit card route. What else can someone do when all other avenues have been exhausted?!

That's just BS.  MSC doesnt even bother to respond to the bulk of the CC disputes, they just let it time out and keep your money for an extra 60 days.  Filing a dispute becomes reasonable one day after the given timeline has passed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, juraspark said:

These are 2 separate responses from emailed requests for information regarding OBS refund due from 5/23/20 cruise requested on 3/31/20.

1st is from: MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com 2020-07-27 2:16 PM

I researched the bookings and found… Current state of the refund/actions taken
If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to call us.
We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
Sincerely,

[THREAD ID:2-69AHXIH]

2nd is from: Luna/Maria ***** - MSCCustomerService@msccruisesusa.com  2020-07-30 5:07 PM

<BR><BR>[THREAD ID: 2-697MSPS]
Hi!
Regrettably, we've experienced delays with our ability to deliver within the originally communicated time frame and want to set proper expectations with our ability to deliver.  We greatly appreciate you for your understanding and patience."

AS you can see both gave zero actual information as the 1st does not list any refund or actions taken. Also, says to call if any additional questions. So if they don't answer your question in the email are they going to answer after yet another call? They also didn't bother to sign it.

2nd response is very professional. Hi? and then it also goes on to state they want to set proper expectations and then list none. Not sure why the " at the end as there isn't another one.

So I am taking this to mean they are advising me to have no expectation of their ability to deliver my OBS refund.

If I had written this type of letter to a customer in high school I would have failed my business class.

On the bright side on July 27th I finally was emailed confirmation of my December re-booking and they notified me July 30th that they had switched the boat for the December sailing! Coincidentally the same dates as the responses.

CCritic notified me of the ship change back in June and the cruise was re-booked in early May after they cancelled the 7/4/20 sailing and I moved the credit to a December booking. Of course in early May I still foolishly thought that my OBS credit was only a little delayed.

When they cancel our December booking I'm going straight to refund and if the funds are not returned on the 1st date given I think giving the benefit of the doubt will not be my 1st choice as that ship has definitely sailed at this point.

I haven't wanted to go the cc route as I will have to drag my spouse into this as I used his card to pay for the spa! It was his anniversary gift to me, He hates having to deal with refunds and exchanges and banks.

So more of the same from MSC.

• Like 1

So I see on 7/31/20 I got a few hundred dollar and change refund from MSC.  Doesn't match to anything that I can figure out, not even close.  I know from my invoice, there is just one line for govt fees, taxes, and port fees, but my recollection was they were refunding all of those items and the FCC would be for the cruise fare portion + 25%.

Have seen nothing of our FCC.

And to add insult to injury, we cancelled our DS on 1/13/2020 and TA was told that refund would be 5-7 days.  I had to look back but that refund was never issued so MSC owes us even MORE money.

• Like 2

TA got back to me yesterday about why we haven't seen the refund for our DS who we cancelled in January.  When our TA contacted MSC, the MSC agent failed to notate a "reason" and as such, the MSC Finance Department failed to refund our money.  How convenient.  Don't they have any checks and balances there?

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 12:14 PM, aprilF said:

On line for our CC there is a dispute charge button next to each charge.  Click that and write a brief reason as to why you should get a refund (all we said was that cruise was canceled by MSC on X, told us they would refund by Y, they have not).  Then it was a matter of waiting 2 months for MSC not to respond and the funds were cleared as ours to keep.  Really simple and no actual interaction beyond typing a small bit.

My cc does not have that “dispute charge button” that I could see. So called cc and was transferred to “dispute department” and after being on hold for 45 minutes hung up. Oh brother! Will try again in the morning. Want to get this thing over with. 

• Like 1

I finally filed a dispute with my credit card company on Monday.  Today after waiting over 140 days a credit from MSC showed up for taxes and fees.  Not sure if the dispute had anything to do with the refund.  The amount promised is not correct, we are still short 149.95 for an error they made with the 125% FCC, so I am continuing the dispute.  At this point I do not want to sail with MSC again as they can't seem to get anything right.  Good luck to everyone.  

• Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 1:10 PM, electro said:

I had planned to file a dispute last week but I decided to give MSC one more week.

As of today, still no FCC or refund of port fees and taxes so I just filed a dispute with my credit card today. I will update with info on how that goes.

Got a refund of taxes and fees today from MSC. Not sure if the dispute had anything to do with that. Still no sign of the FCC so I'm leaving the dispute in place for now.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, electro said:

Got a refund of taxes and fees today from MSC. Not sure if the dispute had anything to do with that. Still no sign of the FCC so I'm leaving the dispute in place for now.

Hopefully everyone checks the amount of their 125% FCC when they get it.  Our FCC was more like 112%.  When our TA called about it, they insured us the missing amount would be added to our taxes and fees and refunded.  It was not.

• Like 2

Almost fell off my chair this morning, checked credit card, two taxes/fees refunds in correct amount showing - now that was after multiple calls and esclations and tracking and emails and on and on - will never know if all those calls and escalations and tracking and emails did anything or not - Monday was going to dispute with cc but after being on hold with them for 45 minutes hung up - today Wednesday was going to make another try - now not necessary - refunds were from March 14 requests for March 29 cancelled cruises. Shocked but relieved!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Almost fell off my chair this morning, checked credit card, two taxes/fees refunds in correct amount showing - now that was after multiple calls and esclations and tracking and emails and on and on - will never know if all those calls and escalations and tracking and emails did anything or not - Monday was going to dispute with cc but after being on hold with them for 45 minutes hung up - today Wednesday was going to make another try - now not necessary - refunds were from March 14 requests for March 29 cancelled cruises. Shocked but relieved!

Have you received your FCC yet?

• Like 1

I got a refund today for roughly 1/3 of what is owed back to me.  Not sure why this amount, as it doesn't really jive with port fees and taxes or a single stateroom (had multiple staterooms).  Contacted my credit card company and they say the dispute continues, minus the partial refund.  Happy for everyone that there at least seems to be some movement in the march black hole...

• Like 2

Im going to be getting my second FCC sailing cancelled this week for October. Getting my May FCC and set up for this October was painful enough and never did I think in April I would have been having this one go south on me. Back to hoping, waiting, and praying that my 4000$ investment doesn’t get lost. 

It took months to see my FCC show up from May and still havent gotten my Taxes and Fees refunded. When my May NCL cancelled, I had usable FCC in 24 hours and disnt have to worry about waiting 90 days for taxes and fees, they just rolled it all together. 

So now Ill have to wait another 30days or more to use FCC thats in their bank account. Thats such BullS***. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Im going to be getting my second FCC sailing cancelled this week for October. Getting my May FCC and set up for this October was painful enough and never did I think in April I would have been having this one go south on me. Back to hoping, waiting, and praying that my 4000$ investment doesn’t get lost. 

It took months to see my FCC show up from May and still havent gotten my Taxes and Fees refunded. When my May NCL cancelled, I had usable FCC in 24 hours and disnt have to worry about waiting 90 days for taxes and fees, they just rolled it all together. 

So now Ill have to wait another 30days or more to use FCC thats in their bank account. Thats such BullS***. 

I still haven't gotten my FCCs from my cancelled May cruises.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, electro said:

I still haven't gotten my FCCs from my cancelled May cruises.

Im a TA as well. I had to put alot of energy into getting it and others. Lots of phone time emails and communication up the chain through reps and management. Your TA should do the same. Thats the only reason I got mine at all since May. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Im a TA as well. I had to put alot of energy into getting it and others. Lots of phone time emails and communication up the chain through reps and management. Your TA should do the same. Thats the only reason I got mine at all since May. 

My TA has tried to no avail. I have disputed it with my credit card.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2020 at 12:14 PM, aprilF said:

I wish it would be that simple. His CC is not available on line as he has no online banking access. Never needed it before as I can access all our joint accounts.

He's off work tomorrow and I will take him to the bank to set up online access.

Next time I'm checking my CC on line I'm going to look for the the dispute button you mention as I think that would be a simple solution.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, juraspark said:

I wish it would be that simple. His CC is not available on line as he has no online banking access. Never needed it before as I can access all our joint accounts.

He's off work tomorrow and I will take him to the bank to set up online access.

Next time I'm checking my CC on line I'm going to look for the the dispute button you mention as I think that would be a simple solution.

Thanks for the advice!

Depending on card, it may not be there.  With Amex, only more recent had a dispute button.  All the ones I had to contact an agent.