March Refunds Only - is there a "big black hole"

cellfree

I also went here today and filled out their online form:

https://www.classaction.org/coronavirus-trip-cancellation-refund-lawsuits

You will see a form on the right side of the page.  It states:

What Happens When I Fill Out This Form?

Your inquiry will be forwarded to one of the attorneys we work with.

Someone at the firm may then reach out to you. If a law firm contacts you, they may need more information. You should receive an e-mail within 24-48 hours with an update on your inquiry. You're not going to be charged anything, and you have no legal obligation after you've filled out this form.

I encourage others in the same situation to also fill this form out. If they receive enough complaints about MSC, maybe we can get some legal representation and help with refunds.

I'm still waiting after a few days since I last contacted my TA.  Separate from the cruise and taxes, I had in four prepaid items I disputed awhile back of which I got notice I had gotten tentative approval on three.

However, one item was for a show for four of us at $18 each.  I cancelled one person back in Feb. and got the $18 back on that at that time.  When I disputed this item, I disputed it net of the already refunded $18.  I fully explained this to the credit card company and they understood it in the claim they filed and amount requested.

The fourth item was $49 of laundry.  On this dispute, MSC claims they already refunded me $18 in Feb. so they only owe us $31.  NO MSC, YOU REFUNDED ME ONE SHOW WHICH I CANCELLED AND ON THAT DISPUTE I ALREADY REDUCED THE DISPUTE BY THE $18 ALREADY REFUNDED.

If MSC can't even get this basic of a transaction figured out, how are they ever going to figure out my FCC and return of taxes and fees?  Maybe I've answered my own question why the March refunds are in a black hole.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hsmorris said:

I'm not a fan of any of this, but I have basically tried everything at this point and and I can't just give up if I'm owed almost $5000.

If you charged it using a credit card, call the Credit Card Co and file a dispute. I did that yesterday after waiting since June and being promised a refund within 60 days. LOL Must be MSC 60 days whenever they want to start counting 60 days. My CC gives them 45 days to respond. However, I got a full refund on my card pending the outcome after MSC replies. So, the CC will pay from MSC pocket.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oxo said:

If you charged it using a credit card, call the Credit Card Co and file a dispute....

In post #100 Hsmorris stated Chase refused to accept their dispute because they waited too long after the sail date to make the claim.

Edited by Até

3 hours ago, Até said:

In post #100 Hsmorris stated Chase refused to accept their dispute because they waited too long after the sail date to make the claim.

I use Citi Costco CC. It is one of my best CC. I cancelled my June 5 2020 MSC cruise after final payment and requested a Full Refund from MSC on June 8, 2020. MSC agreed and sent me an email that I would get a full refund 60 days after my sail date. Sixty days after sail date did not provide a full refund. Called my TA, August 8, 2020, who called MSC and MSC said they didn't know why my full refund was not processed. However, it was ready to be processed . Waited until Aug 26 and then processed a dispute on-line with Citi. Today is Aug 28 and I see where Citi has posted a full refund in my account. Citi is giving MSC 45 days to respond. My original deposit was done on Sept 9, 2019. Final payment was done on Feb 19, 2020. 

Maybe Citi is one of the best and Chase is????? I do have a Chase account, but cancelled their CC years ago because I did not like their services and charges. JMHO. Hope this helps to explain my specific dispute. 

Wish you luck.

Check out Citi Costco CC. Yes, you pay for the Costco Citi CC $120/year. However, I get much  more back in cash rewards yearly from both Citi and Costco. I use it anytime  and every time I can. I do have other CCs. 

Edited by Oxo
  • Like 1

I am also waiting for over $3k from March. I have jumped through every hoop and got nowhere. My husband started a dispute about 3 weeks ago. I am hopeful we will get our money refunded. We took about 3 Yacht Club cruises a year and loved it! MSC will never see another Dime from us. We had cancelled cruises from Celebrity and we’re refunded in less than 30 days and Virgin Atlantic refund 2 weeks

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 7:19 PM, Oxo said:

I use Citi Costco CC. It is one of my best CC. I cancelled my June 5 2020 MSC cruise after final payment and requested a Full Refund from MSC on June 8, 2020. MSC agreed and sent me an email that I would get a full refund 60 days after my sail date. Sixty days after sail date did not provide a full refund. Called my TA, August 8, 2020, who called MSC and MSC said they didn't know why my full refund was not processed. However, it was ready to be processed . Waited until Aug 26 and then processed a dispute on-line with Citi. Today is Aug 28 and I see where Citi has posted a full refund in my account. Citi is giving MSC 45 days to respond. My original deposit was done on Sept 9, 2019. Final payment was done on Feb 19, 2020. 

Maybe Citi is one of the best and Chase is????? I do have a Chase account, but cancelled their CC years ago because I did not like their services and charges. JMHO. Hope this helps to explain my specific dispute. 

Wish you luck.

Check out Citi Costco CC. Yes, you pay for the Costco Citi CC $120/year. However, I get much  more back in cash rewards yearly from both Citi and Costco. I use it anytime  and every time I can. I do have other CCs. 

I had a cruise for June 12, 2020 with RCI. Cancelled that cruise the same day as this MSC cruise. Received RCI full refund two days later. 

Now, what is the difference between the two lines?

Totally unacceptable on MSC.

Not very good PR.

• Like 1

I think we've all had different experiences.  I had four cruises booked for the next year and i cancelled them all in April.    My MSC cruise(I have never been on MSC before, was to be my first cruise with them) refunded everything I had booked and paid for on line immediately---clearly from an automated system.  I was very impressed.   The refunds for my deposits(I had not yet paid the balance due) all came back in 30 days.  Don't know if I was just lucky or what, but MSC was the only company I didn't have to call and follow up on getting my refunds from.  The others, including many mentioned in these posts here---all lines I quite like and have been on many times and have a high status on---I had to call to follow up.  I expected I'd have to do here with MSC and feel like that's what needs to be done generally speaking in times like these.  Sorry some of you are experiencing these kinds of issues, that stinks and I know people are reporting these things from all cruise lines, and I experienced some of it myself.  But I did eventually get all of my money back----some just took longer---and more effort---than others.  So don't give up

Edited by Cruiseswithfamilyornot
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 6:29 AM, Cruiseswithfamilyornot said:

I think we've all had different experiences.  I had four cruises booked for the next year and i cancelled them all in April.    My MSC cruise(I have never been on MSC before, was to be my first cruise with them) refunded everything I had booked and paid for on line immediately---clearly from an automated system.  I was very impressed.   The refunds for my deposits(I had not yet paid the balance due) all came back in 30 days.  Don't know if I was just lucky or what, but MSC was the only company I didn't have to call and follow up on getting my refunds from.  The others, including many mentioned in these posts here---all lines I quite like and have been on many times and have a high status on---I had to call to follow up.  I expected I'd have to do here with MSC and feel like that's what needs to be done generally speaking in times like these.  Sorry some of you are experiencing these kinds of issues, that stinks and I know people are reporting these things from all cruise lines, and I experienced some of it myself.  But I did eventually get all of my money back----some just took longer---and more effort---than others.  So don't give up

I've had a similar Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde experience with MSC.  I had two cruises booked on MSC when the Covid-19 epidemic emerged.  I had already made the final payment on the first cruise and have been struggling to get the FCC - for which I applied in March - processed.  Despite many phone calls and emails, I haven't been able to get any movement beyond "we're looking into it" and "the central office in Italy has it and we can't do anything until they act".   Conversely, I had paid only the deposit on the second cruise I had booked and received a 100% refund of that deposit in about 2 weeks after cancelling the cruise.  Apparently, refunding a deposit is not such problem.  I have no idea why one process was so easy and the other has been so difficult.  We've had no prior problems with the booking process or even with post-booking changes/requests and our shipboard experiences on MSC have been outstanding...it's become one of our favorite cruise lines. That is why this FCC and refund debacle is so maddening!

• Like 1

April 24 cruise cancelled by MSC.  Accepted FCC.  FCC never received.  Disputed charge with Chase 

Reserve card three weeks ago.  Chase refused credit; says any dispute has to be started within 60 days of charge appearing on bill.

No cruise, no FCC, no refund.

Is there a government regulator for cruise travel fraud, paying for something not received?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mmt44 said:

April 24 cruise cancelled by MSC.  Accepted FCC.  FCC never received.  Disputed charge with Chase 

Reserve card three weeks ago.  Chase refused credit; says any dispute has to be started within 60 days of charge appearing on bill.

Is there a government regulator for cruise travel fraud, paying for something not received?

I'd be getting rid of the Chase card. Since travel is usually booked many months before you actually travel, you would never be able to dispute a charge for non delivery of service.

On my credit card, I have 120 days from the time that MSC cancelled the cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mmt44 said:

FCC may be sitting in your account even if you didn't receive an email. This is what happen in my case. Call MSC to confirm.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:41 PM, sfaaa said:

FCC may be sitting in your account even if you didn't receive an email. This is what happen in my case. Call MSC to confirm.

Wish us luck- My TA is calling tomorrow to get our promised FCC from March applied to our upcoming booking before the new PIF date. I am really hoping there is an FCC sitting there even though the TA can't see it and it wasn't there the last time she tried. 

Well, I was hopeful for today, but no luck here either. I have a new cruise booked with a new deposit and final payment date approaching. Meanwhile, my canceled March cruise is showing an FCC of 100% which they (MSC) refuse to apply to the new booking because it is supposed to be 125% and it has been forwarded to "corporate" for manual correction. 

My TA stayed on the phone, spoke to a supervisor and was told the only thing she could do was email someone in particular about extending my final payment date while they wait for this FCC to get straightened out. However, we were told in July that the FCC would be fixed by July 17, so have no great hope that anything is getting resolved in terms of the FCC before my new cruise, or ever. 

I cannot believe there there is no way to override and make things work for individual customers who are just trying to cruise again. Do it on a case-by-case basis. Fix it with comps or price adjustments or whatever you need to do to make the numbers work out and take care of the customer in front of you. I'm not asking for anything you haven't already promised me, and I'm trying to get back on one of your ships and be your biggest fan and promoter when I get there and after I get off.  How absolutely self-defeating this is on their part. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:28 AM, mamaneedsavacay said:

Well, I was hopeful for today, but no luck here either. I have a new cruise booked with a new deposit and final payment date approaching. Meanwhile, my canceled March cruise is showing an FCC of 100% which they (MSC) refuse to apply to the new booking because it is supposed to be 125% and it has been forwarded to "corporate" for manual correction. 

My TA stayed on the phone, spoke to a supervisor and was told the only thing she could do was email someone in particular about extending my final payment date while they wait for this FCC to get straightened out. However, we were told in July that the FCC would be fixed by July 17, so have no great hope that anything is getting resolved in terms of the FCC before my new cruise, or ever. 

I cannot believe there there is no way to override and make things work for individual customers who are just trying to cruise again. Do it on a case-by-case basis. Fix it with comps or price adjustments or whatever you need to do to make the numbers work out and take care of the customer in front of you. I'm not asking for anything you haven't already promised me, and I'm trying to get back on one of your ships and be your biggest fan and promoter when I get there and after I get off.  How absolutely self-defeating this is on their part. 

Their ineptness in this matter is beyond belief.

• Like 1

After more than 6 months waiting for a promised refund I still don't have it.  Of course Chase will do nothing since the cruise was more than 60 days ago.  Will never book using their credit card again!

Today after sending another request for my refund I was advised I need to fill out the form to choose a refund or FCC.  No idea why I couldn't have been told that months ago.  My cruise was for March 12 and the form stated cruises from March 14th but I submitted it anyway.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ken98230 said:

After more than 6 months waiting for a promised refund I still don't have it.  Of course Chase will do nothing since the cruise was more than 60 days ago.  Will never book using their credit card again!

Today after sending another request for my refund I was advised I need to fill out the form to choose a refund or FCC.  No idea why I couldn't have been told that months ago.  My cruise was for March 12 and the form stated cruises from March 14th but I submitted it anyway.

Thanks for the tip!  I wonder if this is a new form.  It hasn't been mentioned the six times I called customer service.  I just completed the form and will keep my fingers cross.  Please update us if you receive a refund! 

3 hours ago, ken98230 said:

Are you positive Chase won't do this? Did you actually try to dispute it?

6mo is the normal time frame given, but I disputed charges for MSC I paid for over a year ago (June 2019)