CDC no sail order

adstz

AQSC still has sailings starting in August. But this is what I found when I looked up the no sail order that is in effect until the end of September.

I am scheduled for the Queen which is well more than 250 people. I don't understand how they haven't announced more cancellations of their cruises.

What cruise ships does the No Sail Order cover?
The No Sail Order applies to all cruise ships, which it defines as commercial passenger ships with the capacity to carry more than 250 people and where an overnight stay onboard by passengers or crew is anticipated. The Order applies to all cruise ships operating, or seeking to operate, in waters subject to US jurisdiction, including those that have previously voluntarily suspended operations. It does not apply to cargo ships.

I think the Duchess is the only boat that qualifies for less than 250 people (crew plus passengers). I was supposed to be wrapping up the "Mighty Mississippi" on the Duchess last Monday.

As for updates from AQ, I'd take a look Monday or so. The last update was on June 30 - a Tuesday.

https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/alerts/

I queried AQSC Friday morning regarding the new CDC order.  The response was that management of AQSC had not yet determined if the order applied to AQSC sailings (remember, Waggoner has said in earlier interviews with CC that AQSC was governed by FDA not CDC) but would meet in the "next week or two" to make a decision which would be posted on the "alerts" section of AQSC website. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adstz said:

AQSC still has sailings starting in August. But this is what I found when I looked up the no sail order that is in effect until the end of September.

I am scheduled for the Queen which is well more than 250 people. I don't understand how they haven't announced more cancellations of their cruises.

What cruise ships does the No Sail Order cover?
The No Sail Order applies to all cruise ships, which it defines as commercial passenger ships with the capacity to carry more than 250 people and where an overnight stay onboard by passengers or crew is anticipated. The Order applies to all cruise ships operating, or seeking to operate, in waters subject to US jurisdiction, including those that have previously voluntarily suspended operations. It does not apply to cargo ships.

I would not expect to go on the AMERICAN QUEEN in August. Right now she is sitting in an Amelia, Louisiana ship yard waiting for a dry dock large enough for her mandated five year U.S. Coast Guard hull inspection. An extremely reliable source related that they think November might be when she returns. Furthermore they told me that the company is meeting resistance from Washington State and Oregon about bringing the AMERICAN EMPRESS on line.  And as Waggoner has stated the company expects to resume operations with one or two boats at a time so it appears that the COUNTESS and DUCHESS will come back into service first.

I called AQSC today because it had been 3 weeks since I ordered a new brochure for 2021.

While on the phone I asked about the CDC no sail order. The phone agent stated that the ruling doesn't apply to them.

Which it CLEARLY does. It states "in waters subject to US jurisdiction,".

If I don't get a cancellation soon from them for my September cruise I am going to look into reporting them to the CDC. 

Which boat?  I think their smaller boats' passenger capacity might exempt those from the order.

But I would not want to be cruising anywhere until COVID is no longer an issue, which might be a long time from now.

23 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Which boat?  I think their smaller boats' passenger capacity might exempt those from the order.

But I would not want to be cruising anywhere until COVID is no longer an issue, which might be a long time from now.

We are scheduled to be on the American Queen starting September 20, 2020. I know it's not going to happen (and I don't want to go) but as they are over the passenger limit they need to cancel.

When I went to check today their website wouldn't load correctly. Hoping the error is on their side, not mine.

Yes, it still does not load correctly.

Princess cancelled most of their cruises through late in the year - we were booked in late November and that cruise is cancelled.  I don't think there will be any cruising for the rest of the year.

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 4:39 PM, adstz said:

I called AQSC today...While on the phone I asked about the CDC no sail order. The phone agent stated that the ruling doesn't apply to them. Which it CLEARLY does... 

I think you are correct (only the Duchess is small enough to be exempt).  Even AQSC's own website seems to contradict the phone agent:

American Queen:  In order to follow regulations from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), AQSC is implementing a phased-approach to its operations... 

The AQSC website (which appears to be back up today) has lots of details about customer-initiated cancellations, but I'll be darned if I can find anything regarding AQSC-initiated cancellations.  American Cruise Lines says customer gets 125% future cruise credit or 100% cash refund if ACL cancels.  They cancelled our recent cruise a little over two months before the sailing date.

AQSC website, especially the "alerts" tab, has been terribly inconsistent and often not in sync with positions taken by AQSC executives, especially John Waggoner. 

When I asked about the CDC extension of the "no sail" order, i got the following reply: "Given that the CDC just made their announcement last night our teams have not had a chance to discuss if this should affect us or not. Our upper management team will not meet till probably the next week or two and should this announcement affect us, all updates will be updated on our Alerts page."

In an interview with CC staff writer, Waggoner said AQSC was bound by FDA not CDC regulations.  Thus the current statement in AQSC "alerts" contradicts Waggoner.  Perhaps a matter of left hand not knowing what right hand is doing.

I am awaiting, much less than patiently, word on the fate of Countess sailing on September 20.  I sympathize with AQSC situation but clients need advance warning of cancellations.  We are anxious to go if the sailing makes.  We feel confident we cn protect ourselves. 

On 7/24/2020 at 11:36 AM, diplomats said:

I sympathize with AQSC situation but clients need advance warning of cancellations.  We are anxious to go if the sailing makes.  We feel confident we cn protect ourselves. 

Totally agree with your first sentence, but not the last.  Those HOHO buses are the sticking point for us.  Each of us caught a cold on them last summer.  Not a big deal, but COVID sure would be.

LDV (actually not)in NC, Things as they were are likely never (or at least for the foreseeable future) to be as they will be when any cruising resumes.  I did not see anyone wearing a face covering (i really dont like the word "mask") on our last AQSC cruise, not did the Coach Drivers make any  effort to enforce "social distancing".  Both will prevail when cruising resumes.

We are not cavalier about COVID-19 but it is likely that those who are, such as the large groups of young adults in Florida, California, Texas, New York and South Carolina, are doing themselves and the country harm.  If EVERYONE would take precautions, the pandemic would end.  Alas, Americans are just not into precautions. 

You are right - I was in NC when I joined cruise critic but am now in FL or VA. 

Anyway, the demographic that is drawn to AQSC is generally older and you would think has the good sense to take precautions for themselves and those around them.

Sadly, we do not see that in Florida and that is what will keep us from cruising in the near future.  Hoping for all this to end by July 2021 when our next AQSC trip is planned.

• 2 weeks later...

AQSC updated their website today. No sailings thru August 31, 2020.

When are they going to figure this out?

My cruise in September (American Queen) goes into 3 states - Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana. Really can't see 3 different states letting them dock. 

My guess is they are waiting for people to cancel so they don't have to give extra FCC to anyone.

When I finally do sail with them it will probably be a one and done. We have paid in full so I have no choice now.

Not impressed with them right now.

19 hours ago, adstz said:

AQSC updated their website today. No sailings thru August 31, 2020.

When are they going to figure this out?

My cruise in September (American Queen) goes into 3 states - Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana. Really can't see 3 different states letting them dock. 

My guess is they are waiting for people to cancel so they don't have to give extra FCC to anyone.

When I finally do sail with them it will probably be a one and done. We have paid in full so I have no choice now.

Not impressed with them right now.

Give them a break - every cruise line is in turmoil right now.  Took 3 months for us to get a large sum back from Princess.  We have taken a number of cruises with AQSC and have loved every one of them.

• Like 2

In the current state of flux, I can imagine that AQSC gets daily conflicting information from the various entities that are involved in a single sailing.  For one, I appreciate that they are hanging in until the inevitable happens and they must abort a scheduled cruise.

I sent them an email on Friday suggesting that they compile a broadcast email list of all passengers still booked on 2020 cruises, and send out an email weekly or biweekly, with full rundown on status of authorizations, open ports, etc.  Probably will not happen but would give those of us with bookings some relevant info on a regular basis.

The August 7 update on the "alerts" page was the first change to that page since 30 June.  Too long a delay in my opinion but better than no updates at all.

Those of us that love cruising, whether river or oceans, had better staunch up our compassion and understanding or there will be no cruise lines to fulfill our desires. 

M

On 8/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, diplomats said:

In the current state of flux, I can imagine that AQSC gets daily conflicting information from the various entities that are involved in a single sailing.  For one, I appreciate that they are hanging in until the inevitable happens and they must abort a scheduled cruise.

I sent them an email on Friday suggesting that they compile a broadcast email list of all passengers still booked on 2020 cruises, and send out an email weekly or biweekly, with full rundown on status of authorizations, open ports, etc.  Probably will not happen but would give those of us with bookings some relevant info on a regular basis.

The August 7 update on the "alerts" page was the first change to that page since 30 June.  Too long a delay in my opinion but better than no updates at all.

Those of us that love cruising, whether river or oceans, had better staunch up our compassion and understanding or there will be no cruise lines to fulfill our desires. 

M

Funny, I received an email yesterday asking me to call them about a cruise Mrs Banjo and I were scheduled to be on in September.  I had not had any contact with AQSC since I made the reservation in January.  WE were supposed to pay the balance in May, but again, they never made contact, no email, no phone contact and when I called them and left messages, no return phone calls,  so we had only paid the deposit and waited for them to contact us.  

When I got to speak with my contact there, she told me the September cruise was going to sail and that if I chose to cancel I would loose 70% of the cruise fare...... She didn't even know that we had only paid the deposit.  When I told her we were not going to be on the cruise and would not be paying additional monies she seemed confused, then went back to her script.

We have sailed with this company before and the back office was always a bit quirky, but now I just think they are not competent.    We won't be on this cruise or any other AQSC cruise in the future.

Re previous post, just a quote from the AQSC.com "alert" page: "NEW CHANGE POLICY (for domestic reservations only)

For all 2020 sailings, guests can cancel up to 24 hours before sailing. Reservation is subject to standard cancellation penalties and guests will receive a future cruise certificate for the penalty amount."

Whlle FCC is not actual money. statement that cancellation would mean lost of "70%" of cruise fare does not seem consistent with stated policy; thus a strange statement from the cruise line office. 

• Like 1

UPDATE - 

Notified by my travel agent today that AQSC has canceled our September 20, 2020 cruise.

They are giving us an extra 25% as compensation. We will rebook for October 10, 2021. Hopefully we can sail by then.

Now to deal with the airline. Supposedly we will get credit that can be used for our next trip.

10 hours ago, adstz said:

UPDATE - 

Notified by my travel agent today that AQSC has canceled our September 20, 2020 cruise.

They are giving us an extra 25% as compensation. We will rebook for October 10, 2021. Hopefully we can sail by then.

Now to deal with the airline. Supposedly we will get credit that can be used for our next trip.

What boat are you on?  The AQ website still just show suspension thru 8/31/20.

AQ tried to tell us last week that they were sailing in Sept but wanted us to agree to move our 9/20/20 Columbia River trip to 2021. I figured the CDC orders applied to them even though they were not cancelling at that time. They finally announced they have suspended operations until October.  We are not going to accept the FCC offer but will opt for a cash refund. This will take longer but I do not know what the cruise future holds. We will get our money back. Best of luck to everyone! 

The phone agents are both correct and incorrect when claiming FDA jurisdiction over CDC.  As far as ship sanitation programs, any US flag vessel, engaged in strictly domestic voyages, as AQ is, are not subject to the CDC/USPH Vessel Sanitation Program, which is mandated with stopping the introduction of infectious diseases into the US.  Since AQ ships don't leave the US, they can't introduce disease into the US, just like the NCL Pride of America in Hawaii.  AQ ships are inspected and controlled for sanitation reasons by the FDA.  However, the CDC does have jurisdiction over interstate travel, and, the navigable waters of the US include the major rivers, like the Mississippi and Ohio rivers, and these fall under federal (USCG) jurisdiction, so the CDC no sail order does apply to AQ ships, if they meet the other requirements (number of souls onboard, etc).

• Like 3