What makes you happy?

DCCyclist

I'm not sure about everyone else, but not being able to cruise has been kind of a bummer. So, to mix things up a bit in the forum and focus on something positive, I compiled a few things that make me personally happy when thinking about cruising and when it will eventually be back:

1) I came across an old Youtube video from the Jade with Pharrel's "Happy" song here. I'm not sure what it is, but seeing some of the NCL staff dance around on the ship just brings back good memories. 

2) Another video I stumbled across is here; "Feels Like I'm In Heaven". I always get this feeling when on a ship, especially on sail away and pushing off from the pier. What I found great was the background in the video (appears to be an older vessel showing two huge propellers - no azipods here).  

3) Goofy I know: I recently changed my shampoo to a coconut scent and it reminds me of walking along the pool deck and the aroma of the cruisers that applied tanning oil. It's something small, but it helps the mindset. 

Take the above for what it is, but thought I would throw some things out there which may help some people put a smile on their face for a little bit. So, what makes you happy when you cruise?

• Like 1

Great idea, I am not sure my list will be like anyone else's but here it is....

1.  Spending time with my wife outside of the stresses of everyday life.  It reminds you why you love each other so much (at least I hope she feels the same way!  LOL)

2.  I love walking off dinner by doing laps around deck 8 on the breakaway class ships.

3.  Don't laugh, I am a guy and when I cruise I like (love?) those fruity drinks.  Mango Meltdown, BBC, etc.  Hook me up!  

4.  Caipirinhas and Moderno.  

5.  The haven pool area, and all the things the haven gives you.

Thanks for this!

Edited by oteixeira

2 hours ago, DCCyclist said:

So, what makes you happy when you cruise?

The fact that you only have to unpack and pack once. The fact that your "hotel", bars & restaurants, show theaters travel with you.

One not so happy thing - relatively short amounts of time in the ports (except for over-nighters, of course). Seems like you just got off, did some touring and/or a shore excursion and all of a sudden you've got to get back to the ship before departure time.

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

Great idea, I am not sure my list will be like anyone else's but here it is....

1.  Spending time with my wife outside of the stresses of everyday life.  It reminds you why you love each other so much (at least I hope she feels the same way!  LOL)

2.  I love walking off dinner by doing laps around deck 8 on the breakaway class ships.

3.  Don't laugh, I am a guy and when I cruise I like (love?) those fruity drinks.  Mango Meltdown, BBC, etc.  Hook me up!  

4.  Caipirinhas and Moderno.  

5.  The haven pool area, and all the things the haven gives you.

Thanks for this!

I sure hope things come back soon. In reference to #5, I have a trip on the Getaway planned in The Haven for my first time in January. Hope it still sails because I have been looking forward to this for quite some time. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sabiney said:

Champagne toasts and chocolate covered strawberries on our balcony while pulling away from port on the first day. It's the moment when I take a deep breath and all stress disappears.

Pat

For me, coming back to my stateroom also and finding an unexpected surprise from one of the departments (canapé, strawberries, etc.). 

10 minutes ago, DCCyclist said:

I sure hope things come back soon. In reference to #5, I have a trip on the Getaway planned in The Haven for my first time in January. Hope it still sails because I have been looking forward to this for quite some time. 

It's a blessing and a curse, since once you do it (for me it was my last cruise just this past February), you can't go back to a normal room, it's just not the same.

For me, it’s is date night!  If we are on a ten day cruise, I say we are off for 10 date nights in a row.  Drinks, a nice dinner and a choice of entertainment every night.   Love the time together without the interruptions of daily life like walking the dog, fixing dinner, vacuuming, paying bills, mowing lawn, etc.    As has been mentioned, the unpacking only once!  We travel a lot, love car trips sight seeing our way around an area.  So while the ports are new experiences, I didn’t have to pack and unpack to get there.  We didn’t have a cruise planned this year, but sure was disappointed our ten day self drive of Norway was postponed.  

2 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

NOT cooking, NOT cleaning, sitting on my balcony for hours watching the ocean go by😊

I love sitting on my aft balcony listening to the ocean waves drinking my favorite cocktail. 

• Like 1

Also agree, that moment when the stress of everyday life disappears.

Spending time with my DH without the hectic pace of everyday life.

That moment of absolute bliss when I'm on the balcony with the warm sun and the perfect cool breeze.

Watching pulling into port and leaving port.

Looking at the endless stretch of water while the sun sets and the sky turns into an amazing painting of colors.

We usually take 2 week cruises every other year. That moment when we pull out of port and I know that I now have two weeks of relaxation and fun. No work, no emails, no phone and no obligations. Someone waiting on me everyday! No one asking “ what’s for dinner?”. No meal planning or grocery shopping.

• Like 1

DH and I have a nice evening habit that we enjoy.  Well . . . that came out awkwardly, lol.  Seriously, we always get two brandies from the bar and take a stroll around the deck just before we turn in.  It's especially enjoyable on a warm night with a full moon.

• Haha 1

Miss all of the above!  Love unpacking and getting settled in to our cabin,  no matter what location we have had  in over 20 cruises.  the first drink we get , after boarding, looking forward to the next week or two or three.    Getting dressed up, not formal, but for us putting on our special clothes', which we do not do at home, (well maybe now, since we unfortunately wont be on a cruise for ever it seems like.  I walk every morning, the Jewell class ships were great for the complete walk around, the Getaway Class, did the walking/jogging track, round and round I went, but would give anything to be back onboard  getting my circles in.   And of course breakfast with a Bloody Mary! that's called cruising.   Miss it all!  Everyone stay Safe

I'm not a pool person, so for me it's spending a few hours each day at the Thermal spa area, relaxing on the heated tile loungers and looking out at the ocean and enjoying the quiet and serenity.

Oh my a great topic!  Lets see for me it is booking the cruise, researching and planning, packing and then the actual boarding and realizing I am finally on vacation.  The excitement of walking up the gangway can't be beat.