how much time to allocate for Norway in nutshell?

bones774

4 minutes ago, bones774 said:

my sailing is scheduled for a saturday, I believe they leave at around 7pm from Bergen. I'll be coming in from Oslo, can I do the Norway nutshell run on that Sat and catch ship?

Are you talking about flying into Oslo on that Saturday? Seems like the train leaves around 830AM.

4 hours ago, bones774 said:

oh sorry, I wasn't clear. I will plan on arriving in Oslo tues/wed and then onwards to Bergen .

Oh, cool. Yeah, I think you'd have time. But Bergen is lovely with GREAT restaurants.

We stayed here in Bergen and loved it and had booked it again in Oslo and Bergen...until COVID.

https://citybox.no/en/frontpage/

The answer depends on what you want to see and do - also time of the the year.

You can do part of the Norway in a Nutshell as a part of you Oslo to Bergen trip - doing the full tour will require one or two nights in the Flåm/Gudevangen area.
Basic Nurshell tour is Oslo to Bergen Railway, detour to Flåm with Railway from Myrdal , cruising the Aurlandsfjord, and Nærøyfjord - it can also include the viewpoint of Stegastein.

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

The answer depends on what you want to see and do - also time of the the year.

You can do part of the Norway in a Nutshell as a part of you Oslo to Bergen trip - doing the full tour will require one or two nights in the Flåm/Gudevangen area.
Basic Nurshell tour is Oslo to Bergen Railway, detour to Flåm with Railway from Myrdal , cruising the Aurlandsfjord, and Nærøyfjord - it can also include the viewpoint of Stegastein.

December booking.

So start in Oslo Friday, stay overnight in Flam area and continue onwards to Bergen on Sat in time to catch Hurtigruten 7PM depart? Will that be a morning depart from Flam allowing sometime in Bergen before cruise?

thanks

PS- how far from Bergen train depot to port? and what kinda transport mode is best?

Wouldn't be surprised to meet other travelers with same itinerary en route.

Edited by bones774

Distance from train station to Hurtigruten terminal is 1 mile. Departure is 9:30 pm - cabins are available from 6 pm - dinner before departure,

You must plan for some sightseeing in Bergen - either before or after. Taxi or walk to the terminal.

You might not be able to get a flight back to US on the day you arrive back in Bergen  (2:30 pm) - plan for a night in Bergen after your voyage.

Edited by hallasm

Hallasm,  thank you for all the wonderful info.

Great having dinner onboard that night and relax after the train ride.

Cabins avail at 6 PM but what time can we start boarding?                      How good is H at keeping to schedule thru the whole voyage?

Edited by bones774

Boarding start at 4 pm - but plan to arrive closer to 6pm. 
usually they keep scheduled departure time - except for very bad weather - then ships are kept in port and ports might be skipped - primarily the area they pass day two can be stormy - see my review from January -day 2. Måløy to Molde. 

2 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I would like to thank you for your wealth of knowledge and patience

Thank you Sue, I am happy to help especially as Hurtigruten is somewhat different from other cruise lines with 34 ports stopping in 6 days, Midnight sun in summer and polar night and northern lights in winter.  As well as very different ships.
Now also where there will be some changes with an additional operator January 2021.
I myself have found many answers and help at CC when planning my 30+ cruises.

• Like 1

I flew into Oslo on a Thursday, did a little sightseeing that afternoon, then took the first train to Bergen (7:15AM as I remember), was in Bergen by 1PM, checked into my hotel and because it was a beautiful sunny day, I took the funicular Fløibanen to see the view after having a late lunch at the fish market. Poured rain all Saturday so I went to all the museums in the Bryggen area in the morning, and then took a cab to the port and boarded the ship about 5PM.

When I returned from the cruise, I stayed at an AirBnB just steps from the port, and took a cab (again in pouring rain) to the first train in the morning to Myrdal. Caught the Flam train in Myrdal (very short connection), visited Flam and took the next train back to Myrdal, waited 1 hour there for the train to Oslo, and was back in Oslo (for 3 more days) by 7PM.  So did not do the full "Norway in a Nutshell" but it was perfect for what I wanted to do.

• Thanks 1