Venice to Rome Flying to/from

We are booked next June on a cruise starting in Venice and ending at Civitavecchia (Rome). Flights are coming available now and I was just wondering what others recommend or have done. We are not planning to do anything outside of the cruise other than flying in a day early. Last time we were in Italy we flew in and out of Milan and then took the train to Venice and to Florence and then Rome. So the question is would you fly in and out of Rome, in and out of Venice, fly into Venice and out of Rome, or something else? 

If you're not planning to spend any time in Italy after your cruise, and if you can get an open-jaw flight plan that doesn't break the bank (into Venice, depart Rome) that would make the most sense to me. 

In fact, you'd have to save an awful lot of money to make the hassle of traveling back to Venice for the return flight worth it.  Odds are that you'd need to spend another night in Italy to fly home from Venice as flights to the States are typically in the morning and, even if you get off the ship extra early, the earliest you could get to Venice by train from Rome would be 11:30 AM.  Add to that time to get from the train station to the airport (half hour), plus normal time before a flight (three hours) the earliest flight you could take from Venice would be 3 PM.

The costs of all of these segments (car service from the airport to Rome, train tickets, taxi from train to hotel, overnight in Venice, taxi from hotel to airport the next morning) should be factored into the decision along with the aggravation.

It should be pretty easy to get a flight into Venice and back from Rome...United has the option out of Newark, for example. 

We are doing the opposite...flying into Rome and back from Venice, all via United and Newark.

Most open-jaw trips are not that much different in price than flying to/from the same destination, unless you run into a special fare, so the advice about flying into the port you sail from and flying home from the one where you disembark makes sense. 

The only caveat I'd raise is that Venice is a smaller airport and has a more limited number of flights. Depending on where the US you're flying from, and the time of year, you may not be able to get a direct flight to Venice -- but that may not matter to you.

12 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

We are booked next June on a cruise starting in Venice and ending at Civitavecchia (Rome). Flights are coming available now and I was just wondering what others recommend or have done. We are not planning to do anything outside of the cruise other than flying in a day early. Last time we were in Italy we flew in and out of Milan and then took the train to Venice and to Florence and then Rome. So the question is would you fly in and out of Rome, in and out of Venice, fly into Venice and out of Rome, or something else? 

Being you aren't "touring" outside of the cruise-  simply  fly into Venice and out of Rome,   not sure why any other possibility would be considered?    -  Unless-  you are going to take advantage of additional  touring???

27 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Being you aren't "touring" outside of the cruise-  simply  fly into Venice and out of Rome,   not sure why any other possibility would be considered?    -  Unless-  you are going to take advantage of additional  touring???

Well there are a few things at least I am considering. I have never flown into Venice and only once domestically into Rome. I didnt know if there might be better choices between the airports. I was also generally interested where people found the best pricing to be, knowing that nothing is guaranteed to be the same. Why? I also am just curious about what others done and hearing the experiences of others. 

Also our vacation for this year was supposed to be a cruise in a week that obviously had to be canceled, and I really understand why, but we are still disappointed. I am trying to channel my disappointment into planning a great vacation next year, especially right now as we come to the time I was supposed to be on vacation. With 11 months to plan I thought it might not hurt to do a little bit of maybe unnecessary research. 

Venice is magical, I would fly there and spend a couple of days enjoying it precruise.  It is so much more enjoyable to wander when all of the day tours are gone.  We have visited at least half a dozen times and there is always more to see and do.  

Then fly home from Rome, I would also spend a few days there, again tons to see and do.  When you spend so much to get somewhere I think it’s worth taking advantage of seeing as much as possible. 

I would add a strong caution to not purchase non-refundable air for any European/Asian cruise.  We do not know what will happen to the cruise industry next year or if there will even be a cruise industry.  If your cruise is cancelled you could end up with airline vouchers which are of dubious value in today's crazy world.  If you are cruising with a line that offers Flexair (i.e. Princess, HAL, Seabourn, etc) then you might want to explore booking air through your cruise line.  With many lines you would have no obligation (or up front cost) and could later cancel the reservation (this can often be done up to 45 days before your cruise with no cost to you) in the event that the cruise is cancelled or you later decide to book your air through different means.  Think of the cruise air as a "holding action" which allows you to book air without financial risk.

As to Open Jaw fares, many of the cruise lines offer excellent deals (especially for Business Class).  My only other "editorial" comment is that I truly dislike Venice's Marco Polo airport :(.  But it is certainly convenient for cruises that begin or end in Venice.

Hank

Thanks Hank. Yeah, not book yet, just excitedly waiting for the flights to start coming available. I love to travel and planning travel is a sort of hobby of mine. Probably wont buy for another six months unless I see really good flight deals and also probably not before a ban on US citizens entering Europe is lifted. But that is good advice and I am only booking things that I can cancel right now. 

Our experience with airlines, pre covid, from Canada to Europe is that booking early does not mean the lowest or even a good price.  Not certain what post covid will be like.

Last two times we flew to Europe, in to Athens, home from Rome and London, the air fare was the same 90 days out as it was 7 days out.  In between it did  fluctuate.  Last fall it was $735 Cad when we booked four weeks out.  It was $730 several days prior to departure.   I put that down to currency.  Same for our Asia winter trips. Best fare out of five years that we have had to Bangkok was booked ten days out.

Our plan is to keep booking close to departure for air and cruises.  Post covid and for at least 9 months after.  No hotels, car rentals that cannot be cancelled w/ full cash refund (ie no credit notes thank you).

• 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

We did a Venice to Rome cruise in November 2019.  We booked a round-trip to/from Rome, which was quite easy (for us, that was Phoenix-London, and London-Rome, then vice versa on the return).  Spent the night at the airport Hilton, then the next morning had a separate flight on Alitalia from Rome -Venice, which is much like the short-hops between close cities in the US.  Flying directly to Venice, then home from Rome was just way too expensive.  As others have said, Venice is a tiny airport.

Edited by DENIE