Sneaky L&S - Can you do this?

We booked a backup cruise for March 2022 (as really want to go on Anthem....so if the 2021 booking doesn't work, we have it booked for 2022 where in the meantime, I am watching for price drops).

However, I noticed if I book the same cruise for March 2021 is $650 cheaper.  

So are we able to book the March 2021 cruise, and then lift and sift it for March 2022?  Of course, I would need to cancel the existing March 2022 cruise first (which is booked as refundable).  Not sure if this is legitimate though as it seems wrong.  Plus, it's a pain with phone calls (last l&s took 2hrs, but that booking was a bit complicated) and the waiting umpteen days/months for the refund of our deposit.

PS - And if I book the week prior in 2021, then it is even cheaper....but again, seems wrong.

Edited by LuCruise

8 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Not sure if this is legitimate though as it seems wrong. 

RCI is trying to reign in some of the biggest price disparities but until then enjoy it - BTW, lots of other people do exactly this without ever booking a backup cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Will Royal look at our history and see:

1. Cancelled Mar 2022 cruise
  2. Very soon after, booked same Mar 2021 cruise
  3. Very soon after, lifted and sifted to Mar 2022

and reject it?

No, their system is set up to allow exactly what you are doing  - you booking the 3/2022 sailing doesn't matter.

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

No, their system is set up to allow exactly what you are doing  - your booking the 3/2022 sailing doesn't matter.

Sorry, one other question....IF... we do this, how long should I wait before cancelling Mar 2022 and lifting and sifting the newly

booked Mar 2021 to Mar 2022?  Or from your response, maybe it doesn't matter.

Yes, this is completely allowed but as @drsel mentioned, your refund on the cancelled cruise will not come back quickly.  As long as you don't mind all the money being tied up at once, you are free to book and L&S....but only through 7-31.  That is when the L&S program ends unless they extend it.

10 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Yes, this is completely allowed but as @drsel mentioned, your refund on the cancelled cruise will not come back quickly.  As long as you don't mind all the money being tied up at once, you are free to book and L&S....but only through 7-31.  That is when the L&S program ends unless they extend it.

Yes thanks.  Yeah...only a couple weeks to do this.  And...although it's a good savings, not sure it's worth it to put in another $1K while waiting for the refund of the cancelled one (and many hours of my time).  This is only a backup booking if our current Dec 2021 booking doesn't happen. 

Question...do all Lift and Sift calls take 2+ hours?  My last one did but we had an exception made so it might have made the process more complex....plus they re-categorized the rooms which added to the complexity (BUT it will be the same with this one).

Edited by LuCruise

12 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

do all Lift and Sift calls take 2+ hours? 

I haven't actually done a L&S so I really don't know.  I think it helps if you have a replacement cruise picked out, from what I have read of others' experiences.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Yes thanks.  Yeah...only a couple weeks to do this.  And...although it's a good savings, not sure it's worth it to put in another $1K while waiting for the refund of the cancelled one (and many hours of my time).  This is only a backup booking if our current Dec 2021 booking doesn't happen. 

Question...do all Lift and Sift calls take 2+ hours?  My last one did but we had an exception made so it might have made the process more complex....plus they re-categorized the rooms which added to the complexity (BUT it will be the same with this one).

There is a link on their website which allows you to do it yourself by entering your booking number.  You don't need to cancel the first one before booking and shifting the new one.  

there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  I have booked several bargain 2020 /21 cruises and shifted them to end of 2021/2022  Here;s the link to shift 

https://cancellation.royalcaribbean.com/?brand=R&_ga=2.221422043.212921087.1594664805-138505762.1591632417

Edited by molly361
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, molly361 said:

There is a link on their website which allows you to do it yourself by entering your booking number.  You don't need to cancel the first one before booking and shifting the new one.  

there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  I have booked several bargain 2020 /21 cruises and shifted them to end of 2021/2022  Here;s the link to shift 

https://cancellation.royalcaribbean.com/?brand=R&_ga=2.221422043.212921087.1594664805-138505762.1591632417

Thanks.  I would be cancelling our existing March 2022 cruise (before booking the Mar 2021 --> lifted and sifted to Mar 2022).

For the online, I guess the only downside is that you can't select your room.  Right?  Also, this cruise would be connecting balcony rooms which have been re-categorized.  For 2021, they are 6D.  For 2021, they turn into CB.  Wonder if lifting and sifting will work online with the change.  Or if I'll have to call?  I know the Royal agent was confused when I did the same with our Dec cruise due to the re-categorization.

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Book it through a travel agency and let them spend the time waiting on the phone lines to make the switch? Plus get the perks the agency is giving out , then all you do is wait for an email from your travel agent telling you when switch is complete. Easy Peasy🙂

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Mine took 28 minutes last week, on a weekday at 3:30 p.m.  I think it had a slight glitch, because it couldn’t be done online (switched to a Western Caribbean and Perfect Day that was shown on Royal’s end as a Bahamas), but the rep never said a word about the glitch and I did not ask.

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Mine took 28 minutes last week, on a weekday at 3:30 p.m.  I think it had a slight glitch, because it couldn’t be done online (switched to a Western Caribbean and Perfect Day that was shown on Royal’s end as a Bahamas), but the rep never said a word about the glitch and I did not ask.

Thanks.  That's much better than the 2 hrs it took me.

Ok...so I might do the cancellation of Mar 2022 and rebook as Mar 2021 today.

Then maybe in a week's time, lift and sift?  

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks.  That's much better than the 2 hrs it took me.

Ok...so I might do the cancellation of Mar 2022 and rebook as Mar 2021 today.

Then maybe in a week's time, lift and sift?  

Why wait, it can be done the same day.  INfact it can be done before you cancel your original reservation. 

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

You can do the lift and shift on line.  

50 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You can do the lift and shift on line.  

Thanks....Cancelled original Mar 2022 booking and rebooked for Mar 2021.

Question about booking online....do you know if it will it be an issue lifting and sifting on line since they re-categorized the connecting balcony rooms?  We currently booked two 6D rooms but they become CB in 2022.  And if not, once they assign, can we call in and select any other CB rooms?

26 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks....Cancelled original Mar 2022 booking and rebooked for Mar 2021.

Question about booking online....do you know if it will it be an issue lifting and sifting on line since they re-categorized the connecting balcony rooms?  We currently booked two 6D rooms but they become CB in 2022.  And if not, once they assign, can we call in and select any other CB rooms?

On some of mine they have recognized cabins that were linked and assigned them accordingly on others they haven't.  In your case i would probably call to get the CB category assigned.  It would probable be harder to redo after the fact if they just assigned a pair of side by side cabins.