help me fall in love with PR! what to do for 2 days?

sazzifrazz

We have been to Old San Juan many times as a cruise port.  We have walked the shops, done the forts, been to Bacardi tour.  It is always our least favorite island.  I know lots of people love the island.  This time we are cruising out of San Juan on the Freedom of the Seas.  We are flying in the afternoon prior to our cruise, as well as flying out the day after our cruise so we will have lots of time to see other parts of the island.  I am looking for suggestions on where to stay, and places not to miss.  We are not usually into tours and like to do our own thing.  One family member does have physical limitations so climbing a waterfall wouldn't work.  We will have a 15 year old boy with us as well.  We are open to spending the day at a gorgeous beach if that is recommended.  We land on a Saturday in April around 1:30pm, and our cruise leaves at 8:30pm Sunday.  We disembark the following Sunday morning and We are flying out of PR on Monday early morning.  We will have all day Sunday to explore.  

Rent a car from Charlie car rentals.  I believe they will shuttle you from the port to their Condado rental office and then let you drop it off near the airport and shuttle you to the airport.  Driving up to see the El Yunque rainforest would be a good option.  The scenery along the way is very pretty.  The radio telescope near Arecibo is interesting to see if you are into science.  You do have to park at the bottom of the hill, but I believe they can send a shuttle for those who are mobility limited.  There are some really awesome ziplines at Toro Verde.  It would not be an option for the mobility limited family member, but there is a lovely cafe and visitors center on site.  

I would recommend renting a car. After El Yungue, drive on out to Fajardo. Nice drive up beaches there. Also some roadside food stands that are pretty good. Also, Google the pork highway. Plenty of info there. There are a bunch of lechonaras along this winding road into the mountains. If you like pork, this the the place to go. The islands not that big so you can see a good chunk of it in a couple days.

• 1 year later...