When do you realistically expect to cruise again?

kangforpres

3 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

I have a 4 day MSC cruise out of Port Canaveral on 8 Nov and a 7 day HAL out of FLL on Nov 28.  I realistically expect to be on both.

Good luck with that, what year?

• Like 3

We’ve had 2 HAL cruises cancelled so we were waiting for a vaccine.  However, decided to book a refundable deposit on Celebrity Reflection for 2022.   Just have to have something to look forward to!  

If a vaccine becomes available we will be on a ship as soon as possible after that though.  Sure miss cruising.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Probably December this year , Astro Zeneca is making 2 billion vaccines that seem to work (Oxford study) very well, Barbados is open now, so I feel we're on our way back..

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/bahamas-bans-us-travelers-tourism-trnd/index.html

6 hours ago, Hygge! said:

For HAL or US cruises? I don’t bet.  But cruising has resumed just not for US citizens or out of US ports.  But on a positive not I Have booked several cruises for the Fall of 2021.  My glass stays at least half full most days.  And the latest announcement of a U.K. vaccine maybe by the fall?  One can only hope. Be safe, wear masks!  

I have one booked for all of 2021 on Azamara to replace my cancelled Veendam cruise in July 2021.   

Another cruise booked in 2022.   You are right.....one can only hope.   Didn't have to put a lot of $$ down on the two that are booked, so I am paying for HOPE.   I hadn't realized just how much travel meant to me.   It means a lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

Considering the covid-19 situation, and that there seems to be no significant progress to subdue it world-wide, I don't know that I even can realistically expect to cruise again. 
My two booked cruises, for October '20 and August '21 have both been canceled by HAL, and I wasn't sure the August '21 cruise was going to be viable for me anyway. 

I fully expect it is going to take at least until the fall of '21 before I would consider cruising, and then there would have to be a decent itinerary to get me aboard. 

Yes.   My unique polar icecap cruise on the Veendam was cancelled.  I looked and couldn't find another that we hadn't already done.   I'm not going to put myself at risk for something I've already done.   I worry that we've been on our last cruise.  Not interested in seven day cruises to places we've been one or many times.

• Like 1

It was a good news/bad news day, Like Sir PMP mentioned the Oxford/AztraZenica vaccine is showing promise, but the Bahamas had to close their border to US Citizens again. Can you imagine a HAL Caribbean cruise without Half Moon Cay?

-P.

A poster on Amtrak United Discussion Forum posted a link to a recent article in Scientific American.  (I am sorry, but I don't know how to post such a link to the article.)

If the authors of the article are correct, my cruising days are likely over.  I will be in my early 80's if this pandemic is close to be controlled.  It's tough enough to travel at my current age.  I can't imagine what it would be like in 2023 or 2024.

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A poster on Amtrak United Discussion Forum posted a link to a recent article in Scientific American.  (I am sorry, but I don't know how to post such a link to the article.)

If the authors of the article are correct, my cruising days are likely over.  I will be in my early 80's if this pandemic is close to be controlled.  It's tough enough to travel at my current age.  I can't imagine what it would be like in 2023 or 2024.

You have my sympathy. There are times, after I've watched half an hour of the news, that I feel my cruising days might be over as well.

I expect there are a lot of long-time cruisers who feel much the same....and there is a lot of optimism on this board which I am fearful will not turn into reality.

But one can always hope.

• Like 1

Just now, DFD1 said:

You have my sympathy. There are times, after I've watched half an hour of the news, that I feel my cruising days might be over as well.

I expect there are a lot of long-time cruisers who feel much the same....and there is a lot of optimism on this board which I am fearful will not turn into reality.

But one can always hope.

And there is also a lot of pessimism. Every time someone posts about so far successful trials of vaccines, the gloom and doomers jump all over them.

I have to wonder whether that whack a mole game of booking/FCC/booking/FCC is still going strong of if more people are moving toward a refund.

There is a huge difference between having a vaccine, doing the appropriate controlled testing, manufacture in quantity, and general availability to the public.  It is one thing to be doom and gloom, another to set completely unrealistic expectations. 

Edited by iancal

I am in my early 80's.... and realistically I do not expect to cruise again. I don't know if I would be up to a longer cruise, which is what I usually do. I takes me too long to get from my home to the coast to make a shorter one worth while, although maybe I will change my mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If a cruise is so dangerous that it requires masking/distancing protocols, then it is too dangerous to cruise.  No cruising for us as long as these masking/distancing protocols are in place.

this is my thought as well. I’m not interested in cruising with a mask on or staying 6 feet from other cruisers. I have an August 2021 Norway cruised book so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a vaccine. 

• Like 2

We received a Free Cruise offer from HAL a few weeks ago for an Oceanview.  Booked it for February, 2021.  We didn’t have to lay out much with just paying Port Fees and Taxes and $200 which will be given back as OBC.  Too good an Offer to pass up and if it’s cancelled, then we don’t have too much invested.  We can drive to FLL.  If it looks like a go, we’ll see about an Upsell to a Verandah.  We still have an FCC from our April  cruise that was cancelled.  Also, have a Booking for a Fall TA on Ryndam.  

For now we’ll be Optimistic and if they are cancelled, then we’ll roll with it.  

It actually breaks my heart that there is no cruising within my sight for the foreseeable future.  I can't even guess.  In February, when all of this started, I wouldn't have imagined that COVID would have rendered our passports mostly useless and that I would barely be leaving my house.  Hoping for brighter days.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If a cruise is so dangerous that it requires masking/distancing protocols, then it is too dangerous to cruise.  No cruising for us as long as these masking/distancing protocols are in place.

Really?

Didn't Governor Ivey mandate a mask requirement in AL? 

For myself, I'm fine with masks and distancing as long as the cruise itinerary is for cities where covid is under control. Can't hide forever!

• Like 2

To my and I suppose the county´s surprise TUI- Cruises starting up  on friday this week- as you all may know now.

TUi is German version of Celebrity. ( Or HAL for that matter- even though the parent compans is not the same) RCI owns 50% of TUI´s shares.

I first thought- wouw cruising out of Germany with ONLY Germans allowed to cruise.How grazy is that- a few hours later i booked a four nighter on board Mein Schiff2 - there newest baby starting monday next week.

If one had told me I would find myself on an all German cruise ( my first time ever- by the way) I would have ben rolling on the floor laughing.

Only sea days- we make landfalll  in Oslo- but it is a technical stopp. Only 60%  capacity! So roughyl 1500 people instead of 3000! 

I am quite quite sure that RCI- Headquaters in Miami will have a close eye on those first post- or middle pandemic " Blue Voyages" as they call them!

• Like 2

My best guess would be fall 2021 winter 2022. With every thing else going what countries/ports will let people/ships in with going into quarantine for 14 days first?  And if you have to do social distancing/ face mask thing, that's not what I call cruising,  I couldn't enjoy myself.

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

To my and I suppose the county´s surprise TUI- Cruises starting up  on friday this week- as you all may know now.

TUi is German version of Celebrity. ( Or HAL for that matter- even though the parent compans is not the same) RCI owns 50% of TUI´s shares.

I first thought- wouw cruising out of Germany with ONLY Germans allowed to cruise.How grazy is that- a few hours later i booked a four nighter on board Mein Schiff2 - there newest baby starting monday next week.

If one had told me I would find myself on an all German cruise ( my first time ever- by the way) I would have ben rolling on the floor laughing.

Only sea days- we make landfalll  in Oslo- but it is a technical stopp. Only 60%  capacity! So roughyl 1500 people instead of 3000! 

I am quite quite sure that RCI- Headquaters in Miami will have a close eye on those first post- or middle pandemic " Blue Voyages" as they call them!

I think these German cruises (AIDA as well) will be very closely watched.  I hope you can pull it off safely.  If not, the industry may really crash and burn.

• Like 2