CMV cease trading

PrincessPete

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just a thought about "buying" the CMV data base - I'm not actually sure that getting a list of mainly elderly people, who buy "value for money" cruises (sorry to those CMV cruisers on here) is intrinsically that valuable. 

If I was in the Carnival marketing department,  I would be developing individual marketing campaigns targeting ex CMV cruisers through selected TAs. Why buy a database when you can use the data based owned by the TAs? 

Buying the data base would be pretty pointless the majority of the cruisers probably already sailed with p&o or know about them so what would they gain by buying it.

6 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Buying the data base would be pretty pointless the majority of the cruisers probably already sailed with p&o or know about them so what would they gain by buying it.

Indeed - I doubt that there are many CMV cruisers out there that are not aware of other cruise lines.  

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

What I am unsure about is the position of anyone unfortunate enough to have laid by bank transfer - do they just join the list of those waiting payment?

Only option then may be insurance - I always opt for travel insurance covering insolvency and consequential loss. MSE gives a good list of them (or used to - last time I looked they were a bit cagey about travel insurance because of all the changes due to covid).

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Only option then may be insurance - I always opt for travel insurance covering insolvency and consequential loss. MSE gives a good list of them (or used to - last time I looked they were a bit cagey about travel insurance because of all the changes due to covid).

Hadn't thought of that - just checked my policy. I would only be covered for £1500.

I assume that insurance companies normally don't cover supplier insolvency because of the cover supplied by ABTA if a holiday company goes bust.

Just now, wowzz said:

Hadn't thought of that - just checked my policy. I would only be covered for £1500.

I assume that insurance companies normally don't cover supplier insolvency because of the cover supplied by ABTA if a holiday company goes bust.

From everything I've read recently, insurers are pointing people towards chargeback, S75 and ABTA. Only if those all fail will most insurers get involved. I'm in the middle of a complicated covid-related US holiday cancellation (3 flights, 15 hotels/apartments, all self-booked so no package). From those who cancelled me I've had a refund, from those who refused a refund but were closed I've done chargeback/S75, the rest I've given to the insurer. No idea how successful this will be, but took out insurance that should cover it. 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

What I am unsure about is the position of anyone unfortunate enough to have laid by bank transfer - do they just join the list of those waiting payment?

My reading of it is that anyone who has paid direct, via bank transfer, will be encouraged to go through ABTA if a non fly cruise or ATOL if a fly cruise.

5 hours ago, tring said:

CMV were giving out voucher for future cruises rather than refund credit notes as described by ABTA (their website gives requirements for refund credits), so likely the vouchers will not be recoverable as will be worthless now - CMV were even calling them vouchers, not refund credits.

The scenario which seems to be most difficult for the customer is where a cruise was cancelled by CMV due to the pandemic and the customer accepted and redeemed the voucher, having initially paid fully via bank transfer.

If I am reading the information correctly, it is in these circumstances where the customer may end up needing to approach their insurance provider under supplier failure provisions.  Although ABTA may help?

All other scenarios will see the customer be properly reimbursed, albeit with extensive delays and paperwork in some cases.  Apologies if I am missing something?

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

True what you say but as we’re new to cruising the size of the ship doesn’t really matter to us, we have done marella and really enjoyed the experience,Fred is far to expensive for us to consider.

You can pick up some reasonably priced deals with Fred late on but you might find the experience a bit sedate compared to Marella. I tried Marella once but not really for me, so my choices now are two ships with P&O or Fred's four. Could maybe stretch price-wise to Cunard if I could get a good deal!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Britboys said:

You can pick up some reasonably priced deals with Fred late on but you might find the experience a bit sedate compared to Marella. I tried Marella once but not really for me, so my choices now are two ships with P&O or Fred's four. Could maybe stretch price-wise to Cunard if I could get a good deal!

we are looking at Cunard the one to NewYork 

1 minute ago, Britboys said:

My first ever voyage at sea was New York to Southampton on QE2. Would love to do the reverse on QM2!

we like to go to New York than fly down to Orlando. 

41 minutes ago, Britboys said:

My first ever voyage at sea was New York to Southampton on QE2. Would love to do the reverse on QM2!

If you book early, usually on brochure release Cunard do select number of roundtrip TAs from Southampton to New York 14nts and are very good prices and can thoroughly recommend them and the ship.

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If you book early, usually on brochure release Cunard do select number of roundtrip TAs from Southampton to New York 14nts and are very good prices and can thoroughly recommend them and the ship.

Thanks but will probably do just the Westbound crossing and then spend time in NY, Niagara and Toronto.

We did a great cruise on QM2 last year which was sailing to NY then onto the Caribbean with a return from NY to Southampton.I think it was 28 days in total and I think similar in price to a roundtrip to the Caribbean with P and O.

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Or Saga ?

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Or Saga ?

Now that Saga have upgraded their product, they are way out of my price bracket. When I sail solo, I generally have an inside cabin. Saga's all-balcony ships are now very expensive for me - more than double what I would pay on P&O.

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Did anyone get the Fred email today about the 2022 Black Sea cruise? The prices are eye-watering.

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Did anyone get the Fred email today about the 2022 Black Sea cruise? The prices are eye-watering.

Indeed. I think it is already heavily booked because they have cancelled a pretty identical one this year and many pax have transferred to this one - it is an unusual itinerary but at £267 per night for the cheapest inside single, I don't think I'll be rushing to book...

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

You mean eye watering expensive or eye watering bargain ? 

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

You mean eye watering expensive or eye watering bargain ? 

£9000+ for a balcony for 28 nights? I've been on Balmoral, nice enough but not worth those prices. It's a great itinerary, but still eye watering.  

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

£9000+ for a balcony for 28 nights? I've been on Balmoral, nice enough but not worth those prices. It's a great itinerary, but still eye watering.  

Is that each? Blimey, some people must have more money than sense.

It is very expensive but you have to remember that this is a rarely-offered itinerary. I don't know when Fred last visited the Black Sea but as I mentioned above, this year's has been cancelled and at present, there doesn't seem to be one on offer in 2021. P&O don't seem to do a round-trip Black Sea cruise any more and obviously the CMV one for next year has gone.