Jump to content

CMV cease trading


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

how long does it take to put a banner up on their page stating that CMV is in administration?  Absolutely shocking.

 

 

When there is no workforce to do so?  Quite a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, S-and-J said:

 

When there is no workforce to do so?  Quite a while.

 

Sadly, I can see this being the case and a number of agents could well be in troubles as well.  None will be in a good way and I feel very sorry for their staff who are taking the flak from many customers.

 

It amazes me how some people actually put up a post, more commonly on social media containing a lot of abuse towards the companies/staff and even gloating over how they spoke to them during their phone "conversations".  We lose our holidays and most of us will eventually get their cash back.  The staff from these companies will lose their jobs and even their owners could lose their business.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, tring said:

 

Sadly, I can see this being the case and a number of agents could well be in troubles as well.  None will be in a good way and I feel very sorry for their staff who are taking the flak from many customers.

 

It amazes me how some people actually put up a post, more commonly on social media containing a lot of abuse towards the companies/staff and even gloating over how they spoke to them during their phone "conversations".  We lose our holidays and most of us will eventually get their cash back.  The staff from these companies will lose their jobs and even their owners could lose their business.

Very true.

It is not helped by so many companies (not just cruise lines)now having senior management that have been parachuted in from elsewhere, who have no real knowledge of the grass roots, whose main interest seems to be keeping the shareholders happy, whose idea of attracting new business is to come up with "innovations" that the customer probably does not want anyway, and who seem unable to realise that it is usually the front line staff who (a) are the real representative of the company as far as the customer is concerned, and (b) have the real knowledge of what will keep the customer coming back, instead they make the same front line staff redundant to cut costs.

The poor front line customer-facing staff are still, meanwhile, working their socks off desperately trying to keep the customers happy in order to keep the company going, even though they frequently are as much in the dark as the customer.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, comcox said:

Unfortunately that is only for UK passengers.  Those of us in the U.S. and elsewhere do not have that option.  I am out $6500!

 

That is a lot of cash.  Actually the CMV website does have links to sections for their Australian, German and French arms of the business, but does not mention the US which seems strange as you say they had a presence there.  if they are agents maybe they still exist and will be able to help you.  Otherwise the Australian advice (which is in English) may be worth perusing in case it points you in the direction of possible claim routes.  The end point seems to say they should claim from the companies administrators, so I assume they may get a partial refund at the end of the process as creditors.  I have posted the Australian advice below:-

 

https://cmvaustralia.com/

 

If you cannot access this I will copy and paste it for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two agencies that are still advertising CMV voyages must have a member of staff who is capable of adding a banner on their homepage stating what has happened.  It will be interesting to check in on these firms later today to see what is happening .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, babs135 said:

The two agencies that are still advertising CMV voyages must have a member of staff who is capable of adding a banner on their homepage stating what has happened.  It will be interesting to check in on these firms later today to see what is happening .

 

Have you tried making a mock booking - I should think the system will come up with it along the way, or falls over during the process?  Seems strange it ha snot come up on the news, but I suppose the more minor companies in this situation are not news anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@comcox

In the US, do try calling the credit card company whose card you used. Husband’s card was issued by Chase and they said he’d get a credit on his account in 7 days.

 

Since you booked through CMV USA, have you called them? I see their site is up this morning and advertising as usual. I was able to select a cabin for a future cruise, etc.

 

Any chance CMV USA has some inside info of a white knight? 
 

good luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ColdCruise said:

@comcox

In the US, do try calling the credit card company whose card you used. Husband’s card was issued by Chase and they said he’d get a credit on his account in 7 days.

 

Since you booked through CMV USA, have you called them? I see their site is up this morning and advertising as usual. I was able to select a cabin for a future cruise, etc.

 

Any chance CMV USA has some inside info of a white knight? 
 

good luck

 

This thread from the P&O boards may have an interest to you:-

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2756104-cmv-cease-trading/

 

As Zombatar has just said - creepy...........

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think getting a refund is going to be a nightmare! ABTA link says in our case we need to contact our bank, etc, as we paid using a debit card but the bank insist they need a confirmation email from ABTA saying that they are not going to pay me back directly. The ABTA link makes it pretty clear they do not intend to reimburse me directly so to me my bank (First Direct are normally exceptionally good) are just making things more difficult. Equally, my bank said there are no guarantees re getting payment back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tring said:

 

This thread from the P&O boards may have an interest to you:-

 

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2756104-cmv-cease-trading/

 

As Zombatar has just said - creepy...........

 


@tring

thank you, yes interesting but I’m not sure I would be interested in P&O maybe Fred Olson...the CMV attraction to us WAS

1) unique itineraries, ie Greenland with many ports without expedition pricing, others usually go to just a few ports or cost $6K + pp

2) small unique ships with history and more the feel of days (long) gone by, again without the boutique pricing

3) reasonable pricing for what you get (see 1&2)

 

I will miss their Hidden Baltic cruises - I’d love to cruise the Baltic’s without wasting 2 days in St Petersburg under extortion to take very expensive excursions. And I was about to make a pitch to my husband for another Greenland cruise with CMV in 2022 :-(

 

and I was about to put a deposit on the Marco Polo for next August as a B2B with the Portsmouth air show and Rotterdam regatta. Alas.....

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ColdCruise said:


@tring

thank you, yes interesting but I’m not sure I would be interested in P&O maybe Fred Olson...the CMV attraction to us WAS

1) unique itineraries, ie Greenland with many ports without expedition pricing, others usually go to just a few ports or cost $6K + pp

2) small unique ships with history and more the feel of days (long) gone by, again without the boutique pricing

3) reasonable pricing for what you get (see 1&2)

 

I will miss their Hidden Baltic cruises - I’d love to cruise the Baltic’s without wasting 2 days in St Petersburg under extortion to take very expensive excursions. And I was about to make a pitch to my husband for another Greenland cruise with CMV in 2022 😞

 

and I was about to put a deposit on the Marco Polo for next August as a B2B with the Portsmouth air show and Rotterdam regatta. Alas.....

 

 

I was talking about the content of the thread and information regards the CMV demise - maybe read it and you will see what I mean.  Seems there is a possibility Carnival may still be interested in something related to CMV and of course they are an American company - they are creditors of them and possibly to a fair extent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, PrincessPete said:

That's fantastic news the possibility the deposit has not gone to CMV. 

Do keep us posted and 🤞🤞🤞for you.

Have just received confirmation from the TA that the monies were not sent to CMV and have been refunded to my CC.  Good service from the TA. Thank goodness I used one and didn't book directly. Phew!!  Good Luck to everyone else.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi to you all, need your help...

 

I had a German booking, so I have to claim with ABTA in UK. I received a case number after entering my personal details on ABTAs website, but never received the mandatory password email to enter my claim online. Anyone with the same problem? Without this password I am not able to log on to enter the details...

 

On top, I am holding a second, UK booking. My travel agent wrote me, that they will claim the refund in my name from ABTA. Do I have to do anything else? Bcs. under German travel protection policy only the traveller can claim. So something new for me...

 

ThanX!

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Banner on Saga site announcing C&M are now in receivership and they will be in touch in the next few days to discuss options. 

We booked to go to Southern Norway next May last month so will only need the small deposit we paid refunded. 

Edited by JMyrtle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really sorry to hear about the failure of CMV. I sailed from Tilbury to Oz on MV Astor in 2016 and had a wonderful trip and was thinking of Columbus in 2021. Great Cruise Line with wonderful ships and wonderful crew and staff. The customers who sailed on  my cruise were a brilliant bunch and I hope that administration will bring new owners who will retain the CMV clients and the CMV culture even though we moaned about it. T. Cheers to everyone who sailed Southbound to Sydney in October 2016. There is a real market for budget cruises so I hope it continues.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, tring said:

 

I was talking about the content of the thread and information regards the CMV demise - maybe read it and you will see what I mean.  Seems there is a possibility Carnival may still be interested in something related to CMV and of course they are an American company - they are creditors of them and possibly to a fair extent.

Actually Carnival is not an American company.  Carnival Corporation is dual registered in Panama (Carnival Corporation) and England (Carnival PLC).  Its HQ is located inside the US, but it is not an American company.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Zombatar said:

Just to make it even more interesting I have gone onto their FB page and left a message that CMV have ceased trading. I then go off and come back and the message has been removed. Creepy!!

How bizarre! I left that group some time ago as the moderators would not allow any posts that were critical of CMV or mentioned the lack of refunds. Very odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

@comcox

In the US, do try calling the credit card company whose card you used. Husband’s card was issued by Chase and they said he’d get a credit on his account in 7 days.

 

Since you booked through CMV USA, have you called them? I see their site is up this morning and advertising as usual. I was able to select a cabin for a future cruise, etc.

 

Any chance CMV USA has some inside info of a white knight? 
 

good luck

I have filed with both credit cards (Chase & Cit) that I used for the various CMV bookings and I will see what happens.  I emailed CMV USA Monday afternoon, but have received no answer yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RosieCanberra said:

How bizarre! I left that group some time ago as the moderators would not allow any posts that were critical of CMV or mentioned the lack of refunds. Very odd.

Not really odd.

I never bothered to sign up to facebook, as far as I can see facebook pages are set up by companies that only want gushing posts saying how wonderful said company is, and independent facebook pages are set up by people with an axe to grind who only want comments about how dire X company is. The gaps in between comments get filled with photos of sunsets and kittens (I have nothing against either, but they rarely give any useful information).😕

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 11:05 AM, SteveH2508 said:

Contacted ABTA immediately for refund, but still no response, weeks after. All emails left unanswered, telephone lines are no longer operational (according to their website "due to high demand"). 

So far no chance to apply for refund, without the necessary password... Anyone else with this problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is extremely worrying for me as I had two cruises booked Jan and Nov 21and I am owed almost £6500, We have already lost a deposit for an August rental in England just over £1000.

I am just wondering after seeing the comment if I would be better going down the trying to recover our money via my credit card. I have finally received my Ryanair flights costs back from the CC companies after waiting for between 4 and 10 weeks. Our March 7th cruise with Costa was refunded almost immediately but that was early days in the Corvid19 nightmare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Chaucer1944 said:

This is extremely worrying for me as I had two cruises booked Jan and Nov 21and I am owed almost £6500, We have already lost a deposit for an August rental in England just over £1000.

I am just wondering after seeing the comment if I would be better going down the trying to recover our money via my credit card. I have finally received my Ryanair flights costs back from the CC companies after waiting for between 4 and 10 weeks. Our March 7th cruise with Costa was refunded almost immediately but that was early days in the Corvid19 nightmare.

I would try your credit card company. I recently got my deposit back within days, no response as to whether the card company will refund the balance, but at least I got something.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...