what if there was an already approved drug that could reduce Covid 19 severity to that of a common cold?

ontheweb

Before anyone gets too excited, the findings cited were from an experiment in the lab. The drug  hasn't even been tested for this use on animals, much less humans. Don't hold your breath waiting for this to become an approved drug for COVID-19 treatment because that will be a ways down the road, if ever.

I agree that it's too soon to do the Dance of Joy just yet. Lots of things look promising in the lab, but fail once live studies begin. The fact that safety in humans has already been proven could help to speed approval, once efficacy in live studies has shown positive effects. It may be added to the drugs already in use; but that's likely to be many months away.

And I still wouldn't cruise without a vaccine, unless the occurrence of COVID 19 had sunk to very, very low levels.

Well, reducing covid-19 to the same as the common cold is essentially the same as saying covid-19 is eliminated.  So, sure.  I would go on a cruise.  Let's all hope for successful trials.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Before anyone gets too excited, the findings cited were from an experiment in the lab. The drug  hasn't even been tested for this use on animals, much less humans. Don't hold your breath waiting for this to become an approved drug for COVID-19 treatment because that will be a ways down the road, if ever.

Every time there is a successful trial of a vaccine, we are told it won't get through the next trial phase or if it does work it will be only 50% protection, or it won't show up for at least 4 years, or too many won't take it, or it will have horrible side effects that we won't know for years. I should not be surprised that a potential treatment gets the same attitude shown.

Why should we have any hope. Instead let's go with this from Country Joe and the Fish, "Whoopie we're all going to die.".

Edited by ontheweb

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Every time there is a successful trial of a vaccine, we are told it won't get through the next trial phase or if it does work it will be only 50% protection, or it won't show up for at least 4 years, or too many won't take it, or it will have horrible side effects that we won't know for years. I should not be surprised that a potential treatment gets the same attitude shown.

Why should we have any hope. Instead let's go with this from Country Joe and the Fish, "Whoopie we're all going to die.".

Well... we need balance:  hope for effective treatment and, ultimately, effective immunization is important.  We are going to get through this, but facing facts is important.  So far, we as a nation have really screwed up by not taking the situation seriously — we failed up front in reacting too slowly in implementing controls;  and then, once the controls were effective in stopping the spread, we rushed to reopen.

What made any intelligent person believe that successful immunization/treatment could be developed instantly?  These things take time - hope is important, but it needs to be balanced with mature understanding.  Our addiction to instant gratification is frightening — and is costing us many lives, while extending the disruption to our economy.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Well... we need balance:  hope for effective treatment and, ultimately, effective immunization is important.  We are going to get through this, but facing facts is important.  So far, we as a nation have really screwed up by not taking the situation seriously — we failed up front in reacting too slowly in implementing controls;  and then, once the controls were effective in stopping the spread, we rushed to reopen.

What made any intelligent person believe that successful immunization/treatment could be developed instantly?  These things take time - hope is important, but it needs to be balanced with mature understanding.  Our addiction to instant gratification is frightening — and is costing us many lives, while extending the disruption to our economy.

Well, this cannot go on for the 4 more years I keep hearing for the successful development for a vaccine. The economy will crash well before that. Are we going to keep children out of school for 4 more years? The Great Depression only really ended with WWII. Somehow I don't think an atomic war will have as much of a positive effect.

And in my previous post, I forgot one other thing that is negatively mentioned about the so far successful trials, all they will accomplish is only make whatever company is announcing them have their stock go up.

So, explain to me why we should have any hope. I tried to post something positive. I guess I should learn my lesson, and not look for anything positive. It's all gloom and doom for the foreseeable future.

While I don't think this drug will be the silver bullet we hope for hypothetically speaking if there was a treatment that could kill off SARS-CoV2 before it became COVID 19 it would make me personally feel safer to travel but I do wonder if it would be enough for countries around the world? The problem with post infection treatment is you need to catch it before a host spreads it to other people so unless you have really good testing there is still a risk to a cruise destination that one of those thousands of cruisers who get off could potentially spread an infection to the local population and for countries that are poorer they may not be able to get enough of the drug to stop the spread before it becomes an epidemic😳.

Edited by ilikeanswers

All the wealth in the world won't save us if we have bad health.  

Health first, then the economy can follow.  Those who rushed to open the economy before our health was secured have sent society backwards to before the original lock downs.  We will have further debilitation and loss of life if we listen to the political economists rather than the latest science and medical breakthroughs.

I getting to the point where I think I won't be able to cruise again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, evandbob said:

All the wealth in the world won't save us if we have bad health.  

I getting to the point where I think I won't be able to cruise again.

Even the Black Death tapered out after about five years in the 14th Century.  There was no cure, no immunization.  I am willing to bet (on odds favorable to you) that if:

a) you do not come down with a terminal case of COVID yourself,

b) your discretionary (use for travel) funds are not depleted in the coming recession,

c) cruise line investors pick up the slack and get back in business,

d) some unanticipated conflict does not involve unrestricted submarine warfare,

e) you do not find some other recreational travel option more enjoyable,

f) you are not wiped out by the tax increases necessary to fund current expenditures,

and, 

g) you feel like it —

you will be cruising before New Year’s Eve 2026.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Hope is a good thing, but as NBT said, it needs to be tempered by the understanding that instant gratification is not realistic. Why the all or nothing attitude? It seems to be rampant in your country. 

Yes, by all means let's hope for an effective treatment to cure the disease, and an effective vaccine to prevent it. But in the meantime, there are mitigating efforts that can be done so that you don't have to bounce in and out of lock down.  

Those efforts have helped many other countries restart their economies. Maybe  not to pre pandemic levels, but it's a start. Instead, the US has a seemingly large percentage of its people either denying the effectiveness of mitigation, or relying on magical thinking that it will suddenly disappear,  or a pill will be available to all tomorrow that will fix everything. Mitigation and slow reopening just takes too much individual effort and responsibility, so why bother. Of course it doesn't help when there is no national or interstate coordination. You don't have to barricade yourself in your home while you wait. But reopening requires prudence and care- something too many of your citizens seem reluctant to embrace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Even the Black Death tapered out after about five years in the 14th Century.  There was no cure, no immunization.  I am willing to bet (on odds favorable to you) that if:

b) your discretionary (use for travel) funds are not depleted in the coming recession,

f) you are not wiped out by the tax increases necessary to fund current expenditures,

and, 

g) you feel like it —

You forgot a second coming😎

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Well, this cannot go on for the 4 more years I keep hearing for the successful development for a vaccine. The economy will crash well before that. Are we going to keep children out of school for 4 more years? The Great Depression only really ended with WWII. Somehow I don't think an atomic war will have as much of a positive effect.

And in my previous post, I forgot one other thing that is negatively mentioned about the so far successful trials, all they will accomplish is only make whatever company is announcing them have their stock go up.

So, explain to me why we should have any hope. I tried to post something positive. I guess I should learn my lesson, and not look for anything positive. It's all gloom and doom for the foreseeable future.

Besides the pandemic everything else from the lunatic fringe in the US almost dictates that nothing will ever be the same again.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

and, 

g) you feel like it —

Can I get that bet ?

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Don't do that.  Hope is a driving force behind most advancements.  You are just seeing the typical forum need to have a counter every post possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You are just seeing the typical forum need to have a counter every post possible.  

I've just seen far too many people on these threads who think it's all going to be great and it will be great very quickly. It might help someone to be brought a little more down to earth. I just booked a trip for late next year that has more protections for cancelling and minimal deposit than you can shake a stick at. We're all learning.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

I've just seen far too many people on these threads who think it's all going to be great and it will be great very quickly. It might help someone to be brought a little more down to earth. I just booked a trip for late next year that has more protections for cancelling and minimal deposit than you can shake a stick at. We're all learning.

It's one thing to say it's not going to change all of a sudden, it's quite another to shoot down any chances whatsoever that it will someday change.

But I do see there is at least some hope for entertainment on the horizon; Dr. Fauci (not the president) is going to throw out the first pitch in Washington Thursday to get baseball started. So maybe the number one expert on infectious diseases has some hope. Oops, wait a second, I have unfortunately read these forums. He once predicted a vaccine for AIDS was on the horizon, and anyway he has to toe the present political line.

I'm back to we're all doomed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It's one thing to say it's not going to change all of a sudden, it's quite another to shoot down any chances whatsoever that it will someday change.

But I do see there is at least some hope for entertainment on the horizon; Dr. Fauci (not the president) is going to throw out the first pitch in Washington Thursday to get baseball started. So maybe the number one expert on infectious diseases has some hope. Oops, wait a second, I have unfortunately read these forums. He once predicted a vaccine for AIDS was on the horizon, and anyway he has to toe the present political line.

I'm back to we're all doomed.

So you let an internet forum dictate how you feel?