Has Pandemic Changed Your Frugal Mind on Cruising / Vacation?

On 7/21/2020 at 10:03 AM, rmf11699 said:

this Covid crap

Amen on that phrase.

My DH loves interiors as he normally does not get much sleep due to his work hours. We sleep like rocks in those rooms. However, post-covid, I can see myself only in a balcony room. 

We do occasional non-cruise vacations, but they tend to be much more expensive due to hotels, dinners, etc.

On 7/22/2020 at 7:12 AM, Biker19 said:

They can only increase to what the market will bear - how much debt they have doesn't matter.

Plus how many will be afraid to cruise after seeing what happened on cruise ships when this pandemic started.  I for one am not ready to board a ship until it starts back up and is running for a while. That has more to do with the on board experience then it does with getting sick.  Those who opted to take the FCC's may be paying the price with higher fares as they won't have a choice if they want to use up the credits. The cruise lines are between a rock and a hard place. They need the revenue but they also need to offer an attractive incentive to get people to book. They may have to offer real sales on high mark up items like drink packages just to entice bookings. I don't mean $18 but not $70 either.

49 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Plus how many will be afraid to cruise after seeing what happened on cruise ships when this pandemic started.  I for one am not ready to board a ship until it starts back up and is running for a while. That has more to do with the on board experience then it does with getting sick.  Those who opted to take the FCC's may be paying the price with higher fares as they won't have a choice if they want to use up the credits. The cruise lines are between a rock and a hard place. They need the revenue but they also need to offer an attractive incentive to get people to book. They may have to offer real sales on high mark up items like drink packages just to entice bookings. I don't mean $18 but not $70 either.

I'm sure there is an algorithm for that😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We enjoyed our first balcony on Celebrity from PR last March.  And now, there will be no going back.  Yes, we are frugal.  No drink packages or spa.  However, we may do 1 night in specialty dining for a treat.  As for excursions, we have always booked our own - we usually are 4 or 5 of us and often get a private van for less than the cruise line and a better experience.  

What I do is look for unique 1 off cruises - the 6 nighters which can be considerably cheaper, and usually go to the same number of islands, just 1 less sea day.  As we are in our mid 60's, we are not interested in the bells and whistles of the Quantum/Oasis class, so the older ships are another way to save money.  Going on the Brilliance hopefully next June.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:07 AM, John&LaLa said:

I'm sure there is an algorithm for that😉

Dan and I were just talking about that.  Even our 4 night cruises for next year have the UBP from $53 to $70+- "might" splurge (for 'us) on one next year if we can get one for $50 or so since it's not looking good for my final 2 $18 ones this year.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 4:12 AM, Biker19 said:

They can only increase to what the market will bear - how much debt they have doesn't matter.

If the market doesn't allow increases to the amount they need to pay off their debt, the amount of debt does matter. If it doesn't, I hear the Staten Isle ferry will still be operating.

37 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If the market doesn't allow increases to the amount they need to pay off their debt, the amount of debt does matter. If it doesn't, I hear the Staten Isle ferry will still be operating.

If the revenue doesn't cover the debt, they declare bankruptcy and wipe out some or all of the debt. Not sure what the Staten Isle Ferry, which is funded by a gov't agency, has anything to do with this.

• Thanks 1

As a solo cruiser, I am usually frugal as I am paying more than the average cruiser, but with everything going on, I will only be doing balconies going forward. The Diamond discount will help out tremendously and the 4 future sailings I have booked are all in balconies.

I'll also probably stay clear of the buffet and use the main dining room and room service. If my pocket can afford it, I'll get a dining package.

• Like 1

Whenever I've talked to first time cruisers about selecting a cabin, I've always shared my strategy of booking an interior or OV and then hoping to upgrade to a balcony or higher as the cruise gets closer.  Most of the time that has been a successful strategy, but on our most recent cruises, we were not able to (or willing to due to pricing) upgrade.  We were in OV rooms, which were fine.  I always say that you need to make sure you are comfortable with the cabin you select in case you aren't able to upgrade.  

With the Covid situation, my strategy has now changed.  Even though I spend very little time in my cabin, I will not book less than a balcony cabin going forward, even if it means I will cruise less.  I could not imagine being confined to an interior or OV cabin for even one day, much less potentially fourteen days!  

Edited by MBMGWM
Spelling
  • Like 1

We try to be frugal where we can. On Royal ships, we select an inside promenade view, a central park view or just an ocean view. The best frugal deal we ever go was a last minute cruise on the Granduer of the Seas.....a nine night cruise for a total cost of less than $900 for both of us. We got an inside cabin (150 sq. ft.) next to the laundry chute...but at that price who cares.

35 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

We try to be frugal where we can. On Royal ships, we select an inside promenade view, a central park view or just an ocean view. The best frugal deal we ever go was a last minute cruise on the Granduer of the Seas.....a nine night cruise for a total cost of less than $900 for both of us. We got an inside cabin (150 sq. ft.) next to the laundry chute...but at that price who cares.

Did you have use of the laundry chute ?

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did you have use of the laundry chute ?

No we did not. The only time it was a bit noisy was between 10 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. It did not bother us as we were up and about. We only noticed the laundry noise when we were in the cabin changing or getting something. The cruise was really nice...fond memory of years ago.

23 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

No we did not. The only time it was a bit noisy was between 10 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. It did not bother us as we were up and about. We only noticed the laundry noise when we were in the cabin changing or getting something. The cruise was really nice...fond memory of years ago.

I have very fond memories of my first cruise in 1973.

I've cruised in an inside cabin and several times in an obstructed view as I'm with the "I'm only in the cabin to sleep" brigade, but the thought of being confined to one of those  cabins for weeks if a pandemic broke out while I was on board means that I am going to save and if I can't afford a balcony, then I'm not going.  

Saying that - I will keep looking for the deal.  They are out there and if I've learnt nothing else over the last few months, I've learnt that you have to grab opportunities while you can. 

On 7/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, Rogueperson said:

Is it really double points if you're paying double to sail in a Jr. Suite?

I've heard mixed reports about Coastal Kitchen.  One of these days, if i truly have the money to burn, I will splurge on a Jr. Suite (or if a decent upgrade rears its head) on a ship that has Coastal Kitchen.  But for now, I prefer to cruise twice and get the points that way.  Or, I will cruise solo on a cheap cruise to get the same double points.  (I did two 9 nights solo to hit Diamond quicker) and only paid 1K for each.

I don’t usually look at the cost of a balcony, so I don’t always know whether I’m paying double for a JS.  We don’t usually sail more than once a year, so one cruise in a JS is truly double points because I’m not facing a dilemma of taking one cruise in a JS versus two cruises in something lower. And we truly prefer a JS. 

As an aside, we need 24 points to make D+.  Our April 12-night Anthem TA in a FJS was canceled, so we booked a 12-night Anthem Southern Caribbean in a FJS for December, which I’m sure will be canceled.     So close and yet so far...