If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

14 hours ago, mek said:

Serious question - not being snarky.  What happens if you become ill with C19 - how do you know what the long term side effects of that might be?  There are no guarantees on that either.

Keep in mind no vaccine currently being developed is going to eliminate the possibility of getting COVID-19. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mek said:

So if you get ill and pass the virus onto someone else and they die you believe that is because the "big guy has willed it?"

If/when a vaccine is approved, getting the vaccine doesn’t mean you will not get COVID-19 and it doesn’t mean you won’t be contagious if you get the virus. So the scenario you described could still happen with someone who received a vaccine. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Keep in mind no vaccine currently being developed is going to eliminate the possibility of getting COVID-19. 

What world are you in?  There are two right now entering phase 3 of trials.  Maybe at the last minute they will fall short but right now things look promising.

• Like 2

Yes absolutely, I will get the vaccine regardless of cruising. 

Also I think the scenario we are discussing is in RCI's best interest and very likely - they will wait to resume cruises until vaccines are readily available and require proof of vaccinations to board. In that case the cruise lines will be able to say that you have less of a chance of getting COVID on a cruise than land which will help turn around the negative stigma of cruises being COVID spreaders.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mek said:

Well it won't be approved if it doesn't produce results.  Do you really think they will put something on the market that has no proven value? And no point arguing that the flu vaccine doesn't prevent everyone from getting the flu.  It is effective in a large % of the population and it appears to reduce symptoms for those who still get ill.

I get it - you're an anti vaxxer - I know several and there is no reasoning with them.

You apparently don’t understand the numerous vaccines currently in various development phases. None of them will eradicate this virus. At best you are looking at an efficacy rate of 50-60 percent  according to most medical and science experts. I am not anti-vaccine at all, I just know any approved vaccine for this virus is not going to be some magic silver bullet that eliminates COVID-19. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If/when a vaccine is approved, getting the vaccine doesn’t mean you will not get COVID-19 and it doesn’t mean you won’t be contagious if you get the virus. So the scenario you described could still happen with someone who received a vaccine. 

I didn't realize that that had already been determined by the vaccine trials. I think your pronouncement is speculative, not fact. 

• Like 2

Hell to the NO, I will gladly take a full refund for our next cruise though as this stipulation wasn't in place at time of our booking. 

I am nowhere near an anti vaxxer and in fact both our kids as well as my wife and I are fully vaccinated. We never get flu shots though as we prefer to keep ourselves healthy and let our immune systems do what they're supposed to do. 

Vaccines generally take quite some time to develop and our family refuses to be guinea pigs for a rushed vaccine. For those wanting to be first in line for said rushed vaccine you might want to look up what happened in 1976 with the swine flu vaccine. 

Oh, and in case you get the rushed vaccine and god forbid something bad does happen you have no right for any legal recourse against the vaccine maker. 

Your best defense is to do your best to maintain a healthy weight, eat right, and exercise. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Which may be never.

Yes there is a chance there will be no vaccine. There is also a chance there will be no more cruises again. In my post I noted "very likely", I understand there are a range of possibilities.

Edited by MacMarauder

After doing much research, I will not be taking a Covid vaccine (Of which I'm still doubtful a vaccine will be found since it's basically a Corona Virus of which is also the cold virus we don't have a vaccine for.)  My question to RCI is if we book a cruse and then a vaccine is found - if RCI forces us cruisers to get it before being allowed on the ship, will we be able to cancel??? I hope they don't force it - they currently don't force any other vaccine.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I didn't realize that that had already been determined by the vaccine trials. I think your pronouncement is speculative, not fact. 

There is nothing speculative about my comment. No vaccine currently under development is designed to eradicate this virus. Even the FDA has stated a vaccine only needs to have an efficacy rate of 50% for approval, which some scientists believe is too high. The bottom line is a vaccine will definitely help, but this virus is going to be around for a long time with or without a vaccine.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, seaface said:

After doing much research, I will not be taking a Covid vaccine (Of which I'm still doubtful a vaccine will be found since it's basically a Corona Virus of which is also the cold virus we don't have a vaccine for.)  My question to RCI is if we book a cruse and then a vaccine is found - if RCI forces us cruisers to get it before being allowed on the ship, will we be able to cancel??? I hope they don't force it - they currently don't force any other vaccine.

Don't worry, if that happens they'll have to give refunds. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mek said:

I would do just about anything to be able to spend time with my grandson, hug and kiss him, and have him over for an extended visit.  If that means I get a vaccine, then I get a vaccine - no second thoughts or hesitations.

Hang in there, it's coming. We had a few months up here of self isolation and everyone behaving themselves and it's in the rear view mirror now. We relied on Facetime calls for a few months for visits with both sets of Grandparents and our toddler and infant and in the past month we have had plenty of contact with them. Hugs and kisses all around and even some sleepovers. 

This too shall pass......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, seaface said:

Can you tell me what research you found to convince you not to take the vaccine?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You apparently don’t understand the numerous vaccines currently in various development phases. None of them will eradicate this virus. At best you are looking at an efficacy rate of 50-60 percent  according to most medical and science experts. I am not anti-vaccine at all, I just know any approved vaccine for this virus is not going to be some magic silver bullet that eliminates COVID-19. 

I don't believe I ever said a vaccine would eradicate the virus.  As long as it protects me, (and I'm willing to accept that it will), I plan on getting the shot.  I'm 70 and in good health but I'm more concerned about what might happen if I do get ill with C19 than any possible side effects from a vaccine.  I think they will publish the efficacy rate at the time the vaccine is made available to the public. I get a flu shot every year and never get the flu and the rate for that is around 47%.

• Like 4

It is highly unlikely that any private entity will require a vaccine, especially a new one.  Too much liability. 

And an Influenza vaccination isn't required and that has lead to far more loss over time then C19. 

And a vaccination for measles isn't required, nor any other disease that has a CFR much higher then C19.

I wouldn't even consider a first or second generation vaccine.  Plenty of unsafe drugs have passed the FDA's bureaucracy.

Edited by boatseller
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Can you tell me what research you found to convince you not to take the vaccine?

A rushed vaccine can absolutely do more harm than good, this is (should be) common knowledge. 

1976 Swine Flu vaccine. Look it up. Looking back, there was no need for it in the first place......

• Like 5

20 hours ago, mek said:

Serious question - not being snarky.  What happens if you become ill with C19 - how do you know what the long term side effects of that might be?  There are no guarantees on that either.

I think someone on the cc once told a story something like this: I needed to get some preventative drugs to prevent disease while stationed in Africa, I asked the physician about possible side effects of the drug that could be bad for my health, the doctor said you know what else is bad for your health, - Malaria. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

A rushed vaccine can absolutely do more harm than good, this is (should be) common knowledge. 

1976 Swine Flu vaccine. Look it up. Looking back, there was no need for it in the first place......

So can you give us examples where a rushed vaccine did more harm?  Not really common knowledge.  Also, can you give me an example of a one or 2 dose drug / vaccine that had long term negative effects?  

The drugs that have long term negative effects are drugs that are drugs taken daily for many years, not one dose.

Also, the normal testing pool for a drug is about 3,000.  The are looking for 30,000 for phase 3 participants and i am guessing won’t have an issue getting them.  With that large a trial, there would be a better chance of identifying any short term issues with the drug (better than drugs that take 10 years to develop)

Technology and science in this area has changed significantly since 1976.

From your last comment I guess you think this is a hoax and no reason to have a vaccine or take any precautions  

• Like 2