If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just heard on morning news that astra zeneca and oxford university have paused their phase 3 trials as there was an unusual illness that has occurred during the study.  No details what that illness was just said expect to hear in coming days.  

I there one person who has become ill and as a result they automatically pause the trial until they ensure they understand what the illness is.  It doesn't mean the illness has anything to do with the trial.  Happens quite a lot and is a sensible precaution.

• Like 2

I am not sure if it was moderna or astra zeneca or maybe both but their trials studies include people of all different ages as well as high risk people that are immuno compromised. Diabetics  heart problems etc so it could very well be one of those individuals that is experiencing unusual illness from the vaccine.  Just wait and see what is said in coming days.   If they even tell us what really happened.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Are you able to request a particular vaccine?

John:

You might consider waiting on the flu vaccine.  Check the CDC website, it recommends that us 'seniors' wait until October to get our shot so that the vaccine is still highly effective later in the flu season.......

".... a 2011-2012 study provided evidence that vaccine effectiveness among patients aged 65 years or older declined late in the influenza season. Laura Haynes, PhD, professor of immunology at the University of Connecticut Center on Aging, believes that these patients should wait until late September to get immunized against the flu."

Edited by keyboardjunkie
addtional info
  • Thanks 1

We got our flue shot now as well.  We do usually wait till October but we were advised there will be a big rush on these "super high dose old people shots" so we just did it earlier.  There was a big line in Publix also AND the bonus $10 gift cards are appreciated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We usually wait till October to get our flu shots so it lasts thru the entire flu season.    At least that is what my DH's transplant doc has told us to do the last couple of years.     

I have heard that also.  If it only lasts for a while, I'd rather it last well into the worst part of the flu season (which isn't now).

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

Once a reliable vaccination will be on the market I would do so. Before this is not the case I doubt RCL will implement such rules, honestly I doubt they will ever do so. There was also not such requirement for the flu shot for instance, during flu season every year, would almost be the same. If, then in future both would need to be mandatory, at least as of a certain age group.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Are you able to request a particular vaccine?

Fluad  and Fluzone HIGH DOSE  are the two my wife gives for seniors over 65. Both are quadrivalent.

Her facility has already run out of the High Dose...

As per CDC.. "September and October are good times to get vaccinated. However, as long as flu viruses are circulating, vaccination should continue, even in January or later."

Got mine August 28th..

3 hours ago, keyboardjunkie said:

John:

You might consider waiting on the flu vaccine.  Check the CDC website, it recommends that us 'seniors' wait until October to get our shot so that the vaccine is still highly effective later in the flu season.......

".... a 2011-2012 study provided evidence that vaccine effectiveness among patients aged 65 years or older declined late in the influenza season. Laura Haynes, PhD, professor of immunology at the University of Connecticut Center on Aging, believes that these patients should wait until late September to get immunized against the flu."

My husband mentioned to me that he had heard this on the news the other day.  

I answered NO.

I share concern about the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine in the timetable that they seem to be pushing. As of this date, there has been no vaccine approved for human use for any type of coronavirus. We have yet to come out with a vaccine for the cornavirus that caused the SARS pandemic in 2003. Likewise, we dont have one for the coronavirus that caused MERS pandemic in 2012. What is to give me any confidence that they would be able to produce one for Covid-19 any time soon? 

Not saying that I would never get a Covid-19 vaccine, but, right now, the whole "rushed to market" concern does have some merit in my eyes.

Also, I am a bit concerned about the expectations for a vaccine. Vaccines are there to just help us get to herd immunity levels without exposing most of the population to a full on infection. Its not a silver bullet. There is a real chance that your body may never develop the antibodies in enough quantity to fight an infection. Further more, as we have seen with the flu, Covid-19 may have different variations or mutate...making the vaccine useless. How many people each year get sick, and die, from the flu virus...even though we have a vaccine? What are healthy expectations for a Coronavirus vaccine and at some point, should we just factor the risk into our daily lives? Much like we factor the risk of heart attack, cancer, or driving on the highway.

Dont get me wrong...I will be super jealous of yall that get to cruise by getting a vaccine, but for me...I am willing to sit this one out for a bit to make sure that the vaccine is everything is as promised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely, yes. When I started travelling internationally for business back in the late sixties, the U.S. still required proof of a smallpox vaccination so one could return from an overseas location. I see this situation as no different, and back then no one batted an eye about getting the smallpox vaccination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ikirumata said:

I answered NO.

I share concern about the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine in the timetable that they seem to be pushing. As of this date, there has been no vaccine approved for human use for any type of coronavirus. We have yet to come out with a vaccine for the cornavirus that caused the SARS pandemic in 2003. Likewise, we dont have one for the coronavirus that caused MERS pandemic in 2012. What is to give me any confidence that they would be able to produce one for Covid-19 any time soon? 

Not saying that I would never get a Covid-19 vaccine, but, right now, the whole "rushed to market" concern does have some merit in my eyes.

Also, I am a bit concerned about the expectations for a vaccine. Vaccines are there to just help us get to herd immunity levels without exposing most of the population to a full on infection. Its not a silver bullet. There is a real chance that your body may never develop the antibodies in enough quantity to fight an infection. Further more, as we have seen with the flu, Covid-19 may have different variations or mutate...making the vaccine useless. How many people each year get sick, and die, from the flu virus...even though we have a vaccine? What are healthy expectations for a Coronavirus vaccine and at some point, should we just factor the risk into our daily lives? Much like we factor the risk of heart attack, cancer, or driving on the highway.

Dont get me wrong...I will be super jealous of yall that get to cruise by getting a vaccine, but for me...I am willing to sit this one out for a bit to make sure that the vaccine is everything is as promised.

I totally agree with you. Will sit it out also. No vaccine for me.