If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

1 hour ago, ikirumata said:

I share concern about the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine in the timetable that they seem to be pushing.  We have yet to come out with a vaccine for the cornavirus that caused the SARS pandemic in 2003. Likewise, we dont have one for the coronavirus that caused MERS pandemic in 2012.

SARS 2002-03 and MERS 2012 barely had 10,000 cases combined. They were not "pandemics". Who would develop a vaccine for so few cases?

The timing doesn't worry me. A company isn't going to release an unsafe vaccine. Will they release a vaccine that is only 50-60% effective? Sure, that is about the average effectiveness of your typical flu vaccine every year.

2 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Will they release a vaccine that is only 50-60% effective? Sure, that is about the average effectiveness of your typical flu vaccine every year.

They might be tempted if they are given immunity from potential lawsuits.

29 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

SARS 2002-03 and MERS 2012 barely had 10,000 cases combined. They were not "pandemics". Who would develop a vaccine for so few cases?

The timing doesn't worry me. A company isn't going to release an unsafe vaccine. Will they release a vaccine that is only 50-60% effective? Sure, that is about the average effectiveness of your typical flu vaccine every year.

Agree. FDA will approve CV Vaccine long as it meets min 50% effective, that's the Goal. Though will get a CV Vaccince and always get my Flu shot Sep/Oct, around at risk Family daily, traveling all the time and since 2012 been on Cruises Oct-Dec...

Edited by ONECRUISER

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Some of us lived in Manhattan at the time.  A day to remember... a day to forget.

Cannot imagine.  My godfather lived in Chelsea - the way he describes it gives me chills down my spine.  Just a very sad day for many people every year...  

I have a cruise starting Feb. 20,2021 from Melbourne Aus.

I would hope getting the Vax. shots would allow me to take that Cruise?

As of Now Aus. requires Tourists arriving from the USA to Quar. for 14 Days!

I have to Renew my Aus. Gov. Electronic Travel Authority permit to enter Aus. and am waiting a while to see what's going on.

I fear I may have to Cancel my cruise because I'm not going to spend the time or money to Quar. for 14 days on arrival?

26 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Some of us lived in Manhattan at the time.  A day to remember... a day to forget.

My youngest son was an EMT in Manhattan studying for his master's degree at John jay on 9/11. Youngest daughter had just started her first semester at Boston College the week before. DW and I were in Los Angeles on business. Longest day in our lives trying to contact them by phone.

3 minutes ago, orville99 said:

My youngest son was an EMT in Manhattan studying for his master's degree at John jay on 9/11. Youngest daughter had just started her first semester at Boston College the week before. DW and I were in Los Angeles on business. Longest day in our lives trying to contact them by phone.

I can sympathize - my brother's office was in the Twin Towers.  Like everyone else we were very nervous until the phone system cleared and we were able to reach him - he had a meeting outside the Towers that day. 

Shortly after 911 we were on a cruise and met two women who worked in the Twin Towers.  They described the memories they have of walking down the stairs, passing & watching the fire fighters walking up, and later knowing that many of the faces died that day.  It was very hard emotionally just hearing their experience let alone actually being there.

6 hours ago, ikirumata said:

I answered NO.

I share concern about the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine in the timetable that they seem to be pushing. As of this date, there has been no vaccine approved for human use for any type of coronavirus. We have yet to come out with a vaccine for the cornavirus that caused the SARS pandemic in 2003. Likewise, we dont have one for the coronavirus that caused MERS pandemic in 2012. What is to give me any confidence that they would be able to produce one for Covid-19 any time soon? 

Not saying that I would never get a Covid-19 vaccine, but, right now, the whole "rushed to market" concern does have some merit in my eyes.

Also, I am a bit concerned about the expectations for a vaccine. Vaccines are there to just help us get to herd immunity levels without exposing most of the population to a full on infection. Its not a silver bullet. There is a real chance that your body may never develop the antibodies in enough quantity to fight an infection. Further more, as we have seen with the flu, Covid-19 may have different variations or mutate...making the vaccine useless. How many people each year get sick, and die, from the flu virus...even though we have a vaccine? What are healthy expectations for a Coronavirus vaccine and at some point, should we just factor the risk into our daily lives? Much like we factor the risk of heart attack, cancer, or driving on the highway.

Dont get me wrong...I will be super jealous of yall that get to cruise by getting a vaccine, but for me...I am willing to sit this one out for a bit to make sure that the vaccine is everything is as promised.

I believe they are using what they learned in the last 18 years fighting SARS and MERS to accelerate the timeline. So a shorter timeline is not as big a stretch as some would lead you to believe. Not like they are starting from scratch

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I believe they are using what they learned in the last 18 years fighting SARS and MERS to accelerate the timeline. So a shorter timeline is not as big a stretch as some would lead you to believe. Not like they are starting from scratch

Medical progress over the last 18 years has made almost as many advances as computers, cell phones, televisions  and hundreds of other things we use and enjoy every day... 

Not saying a  vaccine would be a walk in the park but definitely a whole lot easier and faster than even 5 or 10 years ago...

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

Medical progress over the last 18 years has made almost as many advances as computers, cell phones, televisions  and hundreds of other things we use and enjoy every day... 

Not saying a  vaccine would be a walk in the park but definitely a whole lot easier and faster than even 5 or 10 years ago...

I read that clinical trials on polio vaccine were completed in under a year, and that was for a vaccine with an unproven methodology. Dead virus vs live.  Experts said it would never work

Edited by John&LaLa

I am in the Orlando Pfizer COVID vaccine study and have received both the vaccine and the booster 4 weeks later.  

I travel every week for business and have a new grandson.  In addition, I have two disabled adult children, one with health issues, so having immunity as soon as possible was worth the risk of participating in the trial.

This is my experience and information I have been given.

The vaccine’s predominate side effect is a very sore arm, worse than a tetanus shot but not as bad as Shingrex.  The booster causes a bit more soreness than the first vaccine.  Also, I felt a bit under the weather the day after both injections, not as bad as Shingrex but just a little off.

The efficacy so far is in line with major vaccines like small pox, diphtheria, Shringrex.... fairly close to 100% effective.  The virus is structurally nothing like the flu so the vaccines are completely different animals, comparing the flu vaccine efficacy to the COVID vaccine is like comparing apples to broccoli.

The Pfizer vaccine is an RNA vaccine, there is no live virus so chances of getting Covid from the vaccine are 0%.  Moderna is the same.  I believe that Astra Zeneca is using a biological delivery system so their’s is completely different.  I can’t comment on how that works.

The Pfizer vaccine developed so quickly because AI and quantum computing are driving data analysis.  AI and quantum computing can now quickly analyze trillions of data sets that just a few years ago took five years.  Now that same data set can be deciphered in less than one minute.  Northwestern University is a major contributor to the computing aspect.

Our study was supposed to end today for first round immunizations but the trial was extended for two weeks.  Anyone in the Orlando area over 70 or an essential worker, if interested, give Pfizer a call ASAP.  They give you $250 for each visit and $5 per week for reporting.  The compensation is nominal and I would have happily paid them to be in the study as I am now immune to the disease.

Approval is anticipated in October and production is already in full force.  I have no idea when it will be delivered.  The goal is to get it out before flu season is in full force, although, Pfizer has spend billions on development and every day is costing them millions of dollars so they, of course, will deliver as soon as is humanly possible.

I read that the US government bought 400 million doses but I can not verify that as everything I read has an agenda one way or the other so I take it all with a grain of salt.

I can, however, from my first hand experience, say that the Pfizer vaccine is safe and effective for me.  No one in Pfizer phase two or three has had any serious side effects and almost 100% have developed antibodies that are more than adequate to keep COVID at bay.  A few people in phase one who were given very high experimental dosages had passing out episodes but that was the most severe reaction and the current dosages are much lower.

Thats my experience.  I hope it helps people decide.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

50% is the definition of an "effective" vaccine against any virus. 

Unsafe has varying definitions. I just got my flu shot at a drive-thru location (roll your window down and they jab you). Prior to getting my shot, I got the 20 questions to screen out people who can not safely get the injection. If you answer "yes" to any of the 20 questions, the vaccine is unsafe for you. 

1 hour ago, the more ports the better said:

I am in the Orlando Pfizer COVID vaccine study and have received both the vaccine and the booster 4 weeks later.  

I travel every week for business and have a new grandson.  In addition, I have two disabled adult children, one with health issues, so having immunity as soon as possible was worth the risk of participating in the trial.

The vaccine’s predominate side effect is a very sore arm, worse than a tetanus shot but not as bad as Shingrex.  The booster causes a bit more soreness than the first vaccine.  Also, I felt a bit under the weather the day after both injections, not as bad as Shingrex but just a little off.

The efficacy so far is in line with major vaccines like small pox, diphtheria, Shringrex.... fairly close to 100% effective.  The virus is structurally nothing like the flu so the vaccines are completely different animals, comparing the flu vaccine efficacy to the COVID vaccine is like comparing apples to broccoli.

The Pfizer vaccine is an RNA vaccine, there is no live virus so chances of getting Covid from the vaccine are 0%.  Moderna is the same.  I believe that Astra Zeneca is using a biological delivery system so their’s is completely different.  I can’t comment on how that works.

The Pfizer vaccine developed so quickly because AI and quantum computing are driving data analysis.  AI and quantum computing can now quickly analyze trillions of data sets that just a few years ago took five years.  Now that same data set can be deciphered in less than one minute.  Northwestern University is a major contributor to the computing aspect.

Our study was supposed to end today for first round immunizations but the trial was extended for two weeks.  Anyone in the Orlando area over 70 or an essential worker, if interested, give Pfizer a call ASAP.  They give you $250 for each visit and $5 per week for reporting.  The compensation is nominal and I would have happily paid them to be in the study as I am now immune to the disease.

Approval is anticipated in October and production is already in full force.  I have no idea when it will be delivered.  The goal is to get it out before flu season is in full force, although, Pfizer has spend billions on development and every day is costing them millions of dollars so they, of course, will deliver as soon as is humanly possible.

I read that the US government bought 400 million doses but I can not verify that as everything I read has an agenda one way or the other so I take it all with a grain of salt.

I can, however, from my first hand experience, say that the Pfizer vaccine is safe and effective for me.  No one in Pfizer phase two or three has had any serious side effects and almost 100% have developed antibodies that are more than adequate to keep COVID at bay.  A few people in phase one who were given very high experimental dosages had passing out episodes but that was the most severe reaction and the current dosages are much lower.

Very informative.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Very informative.  Thanks for posting.

Yes - thanks for the helpful information. It's good to hear from someone directly involved in a study.

Edited by mek

11 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Did some "googling" - apparently there has never been an RNA vaccine produced before.  Moderna is making the 1st one ever.  There's no history at all of how the RNA works. Instead of putting virus into your body to make antibodies, RNA triggers your cells to produce antibodies.  Think that's how they describe it.  Never been done before.   Wonder how we can find more info about exactly what's in this vaccine?  Did they give you that when you did the clinical trial?

NJ 

40 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Did some "googling" - apparently there has never been an RNA vaccine produced before.  Moderna is making the 1st one ever.  There's no history at all of how the RNA works. Instead of putting virus into your body to make antibodies, RNA triggers your cells to produce antibodies.  Think that's how they describe it.  Never been done before.   Wonder how we can find more info about exactly what's in this vaccine?  Did they give you that when you did the clinical trial?

NJ 

While there hasn't been an actual vaccine.  Research has been going on for several years into vaccines, including those for cancer.  This is not a new idea made up just for Covid.  

mRNA is very complicated.  Here is a Cambridge article that tries to break it down simply.  1000 years ago, I studied biochem.  Today I own a Physics based AI company so I understand it fairly well but still doubt that I could explain it.  This should help.

https://www.phgfoundation.org/briefing/rna-vaccines

2 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

mRNA is very complicated.  Here is a Cambridge article that tries to break it down simply.  1000 years ago, I studied biochem.  Today I own a Physics based AI company so I understand it fairly well but still doubt that I could explain it.  This should help.

https://www.phgfoundation.org/briefing/rna-vaccines

Hey - thanks.  That is excellent description.  A little confused - so basically, no one knows how it works or if it will work?

NJ

29 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Hey - thanks.  That is excellent description.  A little confused - so basically, no one knows how it works or if it will work?

NJ

Not exactly true.  It's being tested currently as the pp posted about their experience with the Pfizer vaccine trials.