Jump to content

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???


If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

  1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

    • YES
      795
    • NO
      220


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

 

How do you know that?    Have you read anything about asymptomatic spread?  

I'll keep it simple.  This from UCHealth...

 

"Do people without any symptoms of COVID-19 help spread the virus? The alarming answer is yes."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I'll keep it simple.  This from UCHealth...

 

"Do people without any symptoms of COVID-19 help spread the virus? The alarming answer is yes."

 

Not much data on asymptomatic spread yet.  I read the recent article circulating regarding LACK of asymptomatic spread with hefty skepticism.  I'll post the link but should be taken with a grain of salt.

 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2774102
 

Response -

 

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-afs:Content:9902244410

 

 

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 2.29.50 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I'll keep it simple.  This from UCHealth...

 

"Do people without any symptoms of COVID-19 help spread the virus? The alarming answer is yes."

Please.  Goodness gracious.  Quoting an overlord is not exactly science.  How about the study upon which they make that statement.  Otherwise, you might as well quote the ET raccoon.  You know when they use something like alarming answer is... that there is no science involved just demanding obedience.  

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the thing. Being only one generation removed from "the greatest generation" (and they truly are I think) - I NEVER expected this situation to engender so much controversy and politicization / disagreement. I would have thought that the country would bind and rally together behind the cause of doing whatever possible to defeat this new enemy (at the risk of being a tad anthropomorphic I refer to it as an enemy - which it sort of is).

 

I had hoped for the response, nationwide, to be more akin to the positive, supportive, and - yes - sacrificial attitude and approach present during WWII. Instead, no, we've pulled apart into something like a mini civil-war. Where's the national unity and spirit? Instead it's all about one's individual rights and feelings that such are being violated if told to do something that they think doesn't suit them or is inconvenient. 

 

Remember the old line..."we either hang together or hang separately".  I could go further but it would delve into the political arena more than is appropriate here. I'm just tired of all of it. So much that has happened is a global embarrassment for a country that is supposed to be a beacon of democracy. OK...enough. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Some people have to work with the general public and/or can't control their environment. 

We are lucky to live in an affluent area with good outside spaces within walking distance, and also lucky we are now both retired and don't have to go out to work. But if I was still working it would be in a crowded airport terminal dealing face to face with the general public from all around the world.  I don't believe you can presume the majority who got covid got it because they didn't take the best possible care they could.

 

And what would be your solution if you were still actively working?

 

The people I personally know who have gotten sick and/or positive were reckless in their behavior. 
 

My son, who is a ICU nurse in Florida’s largest hospital, has been treating CV19 patients since the beginning. At least he got his first vaccine shot last week. Hasn’t tested positive because he masks up and takes precautions. 
 

M8

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/22/2020 at 9:10 PM, yogimax said:

There's a reason why African-Americans and other minorities are fearful of the vaccine.

 

Most White Americans don't want to hear about the Tuskegee Experiment in which hundreds of African-American men suffering from syphilis were recruited for free medical treatment in Alabama.  In truth, they were not treated but given placebos rather than the penicillin which could have saved their lives.

 

Why?

 

"In order to track the disease’s full progression, researchers provided no effective care as the men died, went blind or insane or experienced other severe health problems due to their untreated syphilis."

 

This is ingrained in Black history and culture.  No wonder there's skepticism.

That’s horrible. I have never heard of it so I googled it. Also, the compensation seemed measly to me.

 

On 12/23/2020 at 1:43 PM, M&A said:

He should've mentioned that it took place in 1932 !!  

 

It started in ‘32, but ran until the ‘70s. Had there not been a whistleblower no telling how long it would have continued.

 

Edited by ReneeFLL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Here's the thing. Being only one generation removed from "the greatest generation" (and they truly are I think) - I NEVER expected this situation to engender so much controversy and politicization / disagreement. I would have thought that the country would bind and rally together behind the cause of doing whatever possible to defeat this new enemy (at the risk of being a tad anthropomorphic I refer to it as an enemy - which it sort of is).

 

I had hoped for the response, nationwide, to be more akin to the positive, supportive, and - yes - sacrificial attitude and approach present during WWII. Instead, no, we've pulled apart into something like a mini civil-war. Where's the national unity and spirit? Instead it's all about one's individual rights and feelings that such are being violated if told to do something that they think doesn't suit them or is inconvenient. 

 

Remember the old line..."we either hang together or hang separately".  I could go further but it would delve into the political arena more than is appropriate here. I'm just tired of all of it. So much that has happened is a global embarrassment for a country that is supposed to be a beacon of democracy. OK...enough. 

Surely we see things through different colored lens. But what sacrifices are you talking about? I remember being taught that during WWII you were being supportive of the war efforts by going out and getting jobs to build things, to grow your own food, buying bonds, use less of the resources needed by the military, to serve, etc. The sacrifice was the Japanese-Americans that were sent to interment camps. The people of that age were asked to help the government, but now the government is dictating that you do nothing but sit on your butt while they destroy people’s livelihoods. How is that living? And how long can one just sit and watch what they worked for get destroyed? If South Dakota can remain open while California is closed but have a higher rate of infection, why is closing and destroying peoples livelihood and freedom still chosen? Even more is South Dakota is unmasked and California is masked. It’s ok for thousands to attend the presidential election outcome, but attending a rally is bad? The government can say you’re closed because you’re a small business, but you can stay open because you’re big? I can’t even go to church with the restrictions, or have my family over. Not to mention for a while I can’t even go fishing with a buddy, or fishing at all as they closed outdoor recreation.  I guess some people live in fear while others want to live their life. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, easyqueasy said:

Surely we see things through different colored lens. But what sacrifices are you talking about? I remember being taught that during WWII you were being supportive of the war efforts by going out and getting jobs to build things, to grow your own food, buying bonds, use less of the resources needed by the military, to serve, etc. The sacrifice was the Japanese-Americans that were sent to interment camps. The people of that age were asked to help the government, but now the government is dictating that you do nothing but sit on your butt while they destroy people’s livelihoods. How is that living? And how long can one just sit and watch what they worked for get destroyed? If South Dakota can remain open while California is closed but have a higher rate of infection, why is closing and destroying peoples livelihood and freedom still chosen? Even more is South Dakota is unmasked and California is masked. It’s ok for thousands to attend the presidential election outcome, but attending a rally is bad? The government can say you’re closed because you’re a small business, but you can stay open because you’re big? I can’t even go to church with the restrictions, or have my family over. Not to mention for a while I can’t even go fishing with a buddy, or fishing at all as they closed outdoor recreation.  I guess some people live in fear while others want to live their life. 

Welcome to the forum.  I am going to miss you.  😇

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2020 at 8:47 AM, TheMastodon said:
On 12/28/2020 at 10:35 AM, TheMastodon said:


Yea pretty much a guarantee at this point.  Move on.  

Sounds like maybe you had it otherwise what guarantee do you have? Also, who knows if you get it a second time if the outcome would be different? There are no guarantees right now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, easyqueasy said:

Surely we see things through different colored lens. But what sacrifices are you talking about? I remember being taught that during WWII you were being supportive of the war efforts by going out and getting jobs to build things, to grow your own food, buying bonds, use less of the resources needed by the military, to serve, etc. The sacrifice was the Japanese-Americans that were sent to interment camps. The people of that age were asked to help the government, but now the government is dictating that you do nothing but sit on your butt while they destroy people’s livelihoods. How is that living? And how long can one just sit and watch what they worked for get destroyed? If South Dakota can remain open while California is closed but have a higher rate of infection, why is closing and destroying peoples livelihood and freedom still chosen? Even more is South Dakota is unmasked and California is masked. It’s ok for thousands to attend the presidential election outcome, but attending a rally is bad? The government can say you’re closed because you’re a small business, but you can stay open because you’re big? I can’t even go to church with the restrictions, or have my family over. Not to mention for a while I can’t even go fishing with a buddy, or fishing at all as they closed outdoor recreation.  I guess some people live in fear while others want to live their life. 

Isn’t South Dakota’s death rate 3 times California’s?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2020 at 3:30 PM, cruising sister said:

.......and we are still reusing our PPE. Things are not right in our world. 

What kind of PPE? N95 masks? Can’t they be sterilized? If that’s the case why were we able to buy a box recently?

Edited by ReneeFLL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, easyqueasy said:

 I guess some people live in fear while others want to live their life. 

Nonsense!  The vast majority of those you say are living in "fear" are living responsibly and wisely based on what is best for them, their families and those around them.  They simply want to increase the odds that they will be around 12 months from now to live their lives. Those who you say want to "live their lives" now just may not be around in twelve months.  I suggest you google the parable of the house built upon a rock. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/6/2020 at 10:08 PM, BND said:

Seriously? That's not arrogant, that's reality.  If you haven't had the flu, eventually you will.  I don't know anyone who hasn't ever had the flu at some point in their life.  Do you?

 

Arrogant is saying "I've never".

I am 66 and I have never had the flu. I never had a flu shot until 2 years ago. So now you know someone! 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

I am 66 and I have never had the flu. I never had a flu shot until 2 years ago. So now you know someone! 😉

And I "never" had surgery until I was 58.  Saying never doesn't mean anything unless it's really "never".  I'm 60 and had the flu twice in my late 20's/early 30's (before I started getting the shot) and am pretty sure that's what I had this past Jan but it was very mild because I get the shot.  Point is, saying "I've never" is a good way to find out the hard way.    BTW, still haven't met you.

 

Also, did you just find this thread because I posted that back on Aug 6?

Edited by BND
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, BND said:

And I "never" had surgery until I was 58.  Saying never doesn't mean anything unless it's really "never".  I'm 60 and had the flu twice in my late 20's/early 30's (before I started getting the shot) and am pretty sure that's what I had this past Jan but it was very mild because I get the shot.  Point is, saying "I've never" is a good way to find out the hard way.    BTW, still haven't met you.

 

Also, did you just find this thread because I posted that back on Aug 6?

Yes I just found it. It's an interesting read, too! I get what you are saying, but if I can't say never until it's never, that would mean I was dead. And then couldn't say it even if I wanted to. I suppose I should have said "in 66 years I have never gotten it." Which is what I meant. Semantics! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Welcome to the forum.  I am going to miss you.  😇

Thanks! Do you think the Covid is going to get me? I do need to lose my Covid 19. All that poundage gained might be what do me in.

5 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Isn’t South Dakota’s death rate 3 times California’s?

I’ll take your word on it, but what is your point?

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Nonsense!  The vast majority of those you say are living in "fear" are living responsibly and wisely based on what is best for them, their families and those around them.  They simply want to increase the odds that they will be around 12 months from now to live their lives. Those who you say want to "live their lives" now just may not be around in twelve months.  I suggest you google the parable of the house built upon a rock. 

 

 

I think the vast majority of people are responsible and are wise whether they choose to go out and about or stay sheltered. They have made their own calculations on what could happen.  My wife says don't drink pop as it doubles your chance of pancreatic cancer, but doubling of 0.00013 is still  pretty much zero. We can debate, tell our different experiences with families, friends and coworkers, find different studies, etc.,  but I don’t think we’ll change each other’s mind and will just throw this thread off topic. But I do want to call a mask nanny a Fanny because they really are an @ss, though I haven't gotten the chance. Everyone should have the right to choose to be vaccinated or not, and not be forced to even if some thinks not doing it is being irresponsible.  And I think I’m pretty solid with  following the teachings of Jesus and am on pretty firm foundation. Have a good night.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I'm glad you are here 😉 

Thanks! Two welcomes. What a friendly forum.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, easyqueasy said:

.....And I think I’m pretty solid with  following the teachings of Jesus and am on pretty firm foundation. 

And look how many that didn’t help. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
 

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

What kind of PPE? N95 masks? Can’t they be sterilized? If that’s the case why were we able to buy a box recently?

Yes, both ASP & Steris H2O2 Sterilizers can sterilize the N95 masks, but, at our hospital system we haven't had to do that yet. Still good with PPE supplies. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

 

Yep but so were the vaccinated group.  So the behaviours were a constant in the trial.

 

So the result remains the same which is that the vaccinated group saw only a 0.7% reduction in the number of Covid cases. 

 

 

Our measures are being done to try and prevent the VIRUS itself actually getting to us in the first place.  The measures have absolutely no impact on what happens when we DO get the virus. 

The impact of the virus to our bodies is entirely dependent on our state of health and the ability of our immune system to deal with it swiftly.

 

Similarly the vaccines can't stop the virus from getting to us, they are not a force field.  The vaccines teach our immune system how to deal with the virus when it DOES come our way and will stop people getting serious symptoms.

 

However the VAST MAJORITY of people who get Covid don't get any symptoms to begin with and others only get mild symptoms so it's really only the most vulnerable, at risk people that need to be getting vaccinated imho.   Each to their own of course.  If there's a tiny tiny risk of getting serious symptoms for some people and they would like to try and eradicate it with a vaccine then by all means let them do so and spin the wheel of risk.   But many who are not remotely at risk will not see or feel any need to be vaccinated and I count myself among them.

 

 

If you worked in health care the last paragraph of your post would probably be different.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

 

Yep but so were the vaccinated group.  So the behaviours were a constant in the trial.

 

So the result remains the same which is that the vaccinated group saw only a 0.7% reduction in the number of Covid cases. 

 

If the current measures masks and social distancing are correctly applied they will reduce the spread of the virus without the vaccine.  If one raincoat keeps you dry,  wearing a second raincoat won't keep you any drier.  I'll suggest that people who volunteered for these trial were very interested in stopping the virus and probably followed the guidelines.

43 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

 Each to their own of course.  If there's a tiny tiny risk of getting serious symptoms for some people and they would like to try and eradicate it with a vaccine then by all means let them do so and spin the wheel of risk.   But many who are not remotely at risk will not see or feel any need to be vaccinated and I count myself among them.

 

That's fine but there may be consequences for your decision.  You may lose your job, or perhaps you won't be able to fly or cruise.  That's your decision, it's also not fair for you to spin the wheel on catching the virus and then disrupt a work environment or cruise for others.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2020 at 7:37 AM, TheMastodon said:

 

Because healthy 36 year olds aren't dying from Covid19.  

You are wrong.5500 people between  35 and 44 have died as of Dec 19, 2020.  You might to ask the family of the 41 year old congress person to-be who died in the last few days their thoughts

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gatour said:

You are wrong.5500 people between  35 and 44 have died as of Dec 19, 2020.  You might to ask the family of the 41 year old congress person to-be who died in the last few days their thoughts

 

 

 

1.56% of total Covid deaths  

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...