Vaccination by Christmas? Many takers?

Harry Peterson

|I wore a mask for the first time yesterday to go to a shop locally.  I only had it on for less than 5 minutes and I was all sweaty inside it and found it really difficult.  Obviously I will do it if I go into a shop, but don't like it at all.

Vaccine this side of Christmas, have my doubts.

It is undoubtedly an odd sensation but I have found it easier each time I put it on.  The answer seems to be to persevere.

As an aside - just think how lovely it will be in the cold weather, as we snuggle into our snoods or scarves.  Even a balaclava might be acceptable!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

It is undoubtedly an odd sensation but I have found it easier each time I put it on.  The answer seems to be to persevere.

As an aside - just think how lovely it will be in the cold weather, as we snuggle into our snoods or scarves.  Even a balaclava might be acceptable!

I agree with you. It's like wearing glasses for the first time, annoying at first but over time you get used to it. Bit like me really😉😂

Avril 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It may be different, but personally I wore one round the shop last weekend (big shop, first for a month) and never once found it sweaty or uncomfortable. Maybe because I’m used to wearing glasses. And no, the glasses didn’t steam up either

I really cannot understand all the negativity over wearing a face mask. It’s not exactly a hardship.  No wonder the Ossies called us Whinging Poms!  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

|I wore a mask for the first time yesterday to go to a shop locally.  I only had it on for less than 5 minutes and I was all sweaty inside it and found it really difficult.  Obviously I will do it if I go into a shop, but don't like it at all.

Vaccine this side of Christmas, have my doubts.

Did you wear a cloth mask or one of the paper ones.  I have been wearing a mask everytime I have gone shopping since the start of the lockdown and have not found it a problem at all.  I have 3 or 4 in my bag everytime I go out because I put one on whenever I go inside a shop but we have been told not to use one that has already been used but not washed.

I must have made around 50 triple layer cotton masks because I made them originally for OH and myself but so many of our family and friends have asked for them that it has become an ongoing job. The current collection just taken from my bag :

15955149156471485860171476223280.thumb.jpg.133d1a9b817d9ed68d2dbdcca485eda0.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

It may be different, but personally I wore one round the shop last weekend (big shop, first for a month) and never once found it sweaty or uncomfortable. Maybe because I’m used to wearing glasses. And no, the glasses didn’t steam up either

I really cannot understand all the negativity over wearing a face mask. It’s not exactly a hardship.  No wonder the Ossies called us Whinging Poms!  

You must post a video on you tube showing us how you do it, I have worn a mask several times and my glasses always steam up, whatever the temperature.

• Like 1

Do people who wear glasses find that masks make the glasses steam up, I have that problem both with material masks and the simple medical ones now on sale.  Anyone found a way to stop that other than not wearing glasses?   Think I may need to keep reading glasses on a chain around my neck when in shops now.

EDIT just seen your post terrierjohn, so I am not alone in that.

Edited by tring

I watched The Repair Shop last night (recorded pre-virus, I’m sure).  Two of the craftswomen we’re discussing industrial protective masks & specs and one gave the other this tip - mask on first, then specs.  Bridge of specs sits atop mask, frame of specs is outside mask - less hot air rises towards the glasses to produce the fogging.  It’s worth a try

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You must post a video on you tube showing us how you do it, I have worn a mask several times and my glasses always steam up, whatever the temperature.

Try smearing a small drop of liquid soap on the lens, I saw this on the TV yesterday but haven't tried it myself yet.

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Try smearing a small drop of liquid soap on the lens, I saw this on the TV yesterday but haven't tried it myself yet.

Sounds worth a try, could do the job - thanks.

I keep the mask under the specs and also make sure the metal in the med masks is clipped over my nose.  My glasses are quite deep so will not help mind.

29 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

I really cannot understand all the negativity over wearing a face mask. It’s not exactly a hardship. 

I've found the disposable paper masks work better for me.  They're lighter and more comfortable. I tried a reusable cloth one at first and it was really annoying. I have a short neck,  and everytime I moved my chin down it caught on my jacket, pushed the mask up and almost knocked my glasses off. I find the paper ones fit closer under chin. Easier to breathe in as well.

Avril 

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Hi

I put the mask on, and my glasses sit (just) on top of them. BBC online news recommended this for glasses

i use reusable cloth masks. Wear once, put in a bag, wash in soap, dry. Store in clean zipped bag

I have always washed my glasses with soap and water, so maybe that helped?

I had pneumonia (3rd time) in February and although my lungs still have periods of being a problem, I don’t find mask wearing causes any issues (Luckily)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I've found the disposable paper masks work better for me.  They're lighter and more comfortable. I tried a reusable cloth one at first and it was really annoying. I have a short neck,  and everytime I moved my chin down it caught on my jacket, pushed the mask up and almost knocked my glasses off. I find the paper ones fit closer under chin. Easier to breathe in as well.

Avril 

I know what you mean Avril.  My original one I made with pleats like the surgical ones and was not at all comfortable which is why I found a pattern on Pinterest for a mask that is more fitted over the nose and under the chin. I have no problems with these and my glasses don't seem to steam up either with these.

Interesting set of opinions on this thread. If you want to see what happens when mask wearing is generally not done then just look at the the infection rates in the USA which are currently going ever up wards. As for anti vaxxers just remember that childhood diseases are all back with us since ant vaxing became a trend. Small pox has been wiped out on this planet just because we all got vaccinated!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

A saw a post the other day from an optician who said putting soap on the lenses can damage the coating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

A friend of ours saw the same thing, but she said it made absolutely no difference, her glasses still steamed up.

Must say my multifocal contact lenses are wonderful and so different from wearing specs.  I have worn thelenses for 3 years now and wouldn't go back for anything.  Doesn't stop the mask feeling sweaty round my mouth and nose though 😞

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

A saw a post the other day from an optician who said putting soap on the lenses can damage the coating. 

I have a coating on my glasses for when I'm using the computer and was told by the optician to never use soap and water on them or the coating would peel off.

Avril 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Must say my multifocal contact lenses are wonderful and so different from wearing specs.  I have worn thelenses for 3 years now and wouldn't go back for anything.  Doesn't stop the mask feeling sweaty round my mouth and nose though 😞

What kind of mask do you use Jean? 

Avril 

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I won't try that then, just spent £650 on a new pair and don't want to risk any damage.

52 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I wish I could wear lenses but I have an eye condition that is irritated by them so I am stuck with glasses.

As a fellow wearer of glasses, I do find a face visor easier to wear than a mask - in terms of comfort and maintaining my field of vision.

The other point is you are, in my experience, less inclined to touch the outside of the visor, and then your face, than you are with a mask.

I know that there are various discussions about the efficacy and social acceptance of visors but just to add my two penneth!

I also never use soap to clean my glasses.

8 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

That was me on my first cruise when I had to wear a dinner suit. Soon got used to it, shoes? That's another thing. We are sitting in a bar on our first holiday.  Not many masks in Cornwall today, but tomorrow there will be. And another thing. How come the formula 1 teams can do clever stuff, but can't make a mask that doesn't fall of the wearer's nose twice a minute. I'll have the vaccination please and would expect those that won't to stay at home, out of our way. Same with masks , if you can't be bothered, stay indoors please.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1