Cruise Critic Community
2travelcats

Pacific Coast Cruising in April?

Hello - we have never cruised along the Pacific Coast. 

I see some nice itineraries offered by Princess in April.  This seems early in the year and I wonder what the weather will be like.

It looks like in May the ships doing the coast all head to Alaska.  

For those of you who have cruised along the Pacific Coast in April, what kind of weather did you have?  

I know no one can predict the weather, but generally, can I expect several rainy days and rough seas?

Thanks for your help - 2travelcats

I have done a California Coastal a few times in April, and have lived in California all my life.  April weather here on the Pacific coast varies greatly, but in my experience out at sea in April the weather is generally sunny and brisk and sometimes warm or hot.   All year long, seas are gentle heading southbound and rougher heading northbound on the Pacific coast, due to the California Current coming over from Japan.  This link shows a graphic explaining the current: 

https://www.sanibelseaschool.org/experience-blog/2014/4/1/what-is-the-connection-between-the-united-states-and-japan

You will want to bring sweaters and jackets along with short and long sleeve shirts, both pants and shorts and plan to dress in layers but also hope for being able to wear your shorts.  We do sometimes live up to the adage "April showers bring May flowers," but often have no rain at all.  You will have a good chance of seeing orcas and gray whales, so I recommend whale watching excursions in Monterey or other ports.  

I highly recommend the California Coastal and Pacific Coastal itineraries.  Our west coast towns and cities are worth a visit, and the coast is beautiful.

California native here (currently bay area) I'll chime in on the weather.

As written, April can be quite changeable.  We typically will have rain, though not for days on end.   Temps will vary, every year we have a first 'hot spell', this year South Bay temps hovered in the low 90's for a full week in April which isn't unusual.  Most days though will be in the high 60's / low 70's.  

Sea breezes can be brisk.  It's a good time to cruise, but one should plan for changeable weather.

Another Californian here. My experience is that the September / October summers are the best time to visit SF. Just sayin🎵

Hello and thank you all for your input.

When might I expect Princess to release the Pacific Coast cruises for Fall of 2022?

I found the April cruises because, I believe, they were just released.

Thanks again - 2travelcats