Farewell Monarch and Sovereign ( of the Seas)

A few minutes agoSovereign joined her younger sister at a scrap yard in Turkey. According to Marine Traffic both ships are beached next to each other. I found a wonderful homage to the " Motherships of modern crusing":

http://news.leportale.com/doc?id=221421194

Quite appropriate I think! I never sailed on one of the Sovereign Class ships- my crusing time started a few years later on board the Grandeur of the Seas..!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Bild könnte enthalten: Himmel und im Freien

And here the sisters side by side! Kind of a sad sight. Sovereign featured a slightly different Top- if I get the picture right. Does anyone know more about that?

Sovereign added a covered area before she went to pullmantour. There was a 6(?) part documentary about the drydock. They added balconies to her also.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Bild könnte enthalten: Himmel und im Freien

And here the sisters side by side! Kind of a sad sight. Sovereign featured a slightly different Top- if I get the picture right. Does anyone know more about that?

If Majesty hurries up and gets there,  they can have another '3 Sisters' picture.😉😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So - what happens to the centrum clock?  Those who sailed log ago will get the refence. It was even a big deal in one of the  cruise ship redo reality shows. 

Did I read that years ago  RCCL took the large  anchor  logo from Sovereign and put it on Allure?  

M

59 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

So - what happens to the centrum clock?  Those who sailed log ago will get the refence. It was even a big deal in one of the  cruise ship redo reality shows. 

Did I read that years ago  RCCL took the large  anchor  logo from Sovereign and put it on Allure?  

M

The original plan was to put the C&A logos from Sovereign above the Aquatheatre on Oasis and Allure, but they were in too poor condition upon inspection, so new ones were made for the sisters. It was a cool idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sad to hear about it. I sailed on the Sovereign once, and the Majesty (sister ship) twice. Beautiful ships that changed what a cruise ship looked like. I remember the show that had the Sovereign redo, and they finally had the clock working.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rcclmiami said:

Sovereign added a covered area before she went to pullmantour. There was a 6(?) part documentary about the drydock. They added balconies to her also.

Thanks for clarifying this. Now I will watch this video of Sovereigns make over- thanks for that, too.

Sovereign was a totally amazing ship cruised her a few times in late 80’s and 90’s , largest cruise ship anywhere when it first sailed , elegant ship , she was docked in Barcelona four years ago when we visited, amazing how times have changed. 

I watched a fascinating documentary last night on shipbreaking.  It was filmed in India not in Aliga but documents the very dangerous work of ship breaking and the poor workers who get paid very little to risk their lives. Take a look.

This might be a great time for me to try to sell both my Sovereign and Monarch crystal blocks. Interest and sentimentality seem high.   A quick check on eBay shows that ship blocks are going from $25 - $225.  A huge range. 

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Haha 1