Cruise Critic Community
livingonthebeach

TUI announces cancellation of restart date

Posted (edited)

TUI which is a 50-50 joint venture with RCI, announced that the restart date of the Mein Schiff 1 which was scheduled for late July, has been cancelled.  The "official" reason was stated as manning problems -- such as lack of crew.  In a facebook page, a few crew members wrote that they had all its crew in place but that 7 crew members had tested positive for Covid-19 and that was the real reason for the cancellation.  Can't vouch for the veracity of what the crew members wrote, but true or not, this isn't helping the cruising industry. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

The 7 cases is more plausible than lack of crew.  What does this mean?

It means that the 'success' in Europe is, well, not.  Never was.

It means that all these efforts to contain the situation have failed.  Shouldn't surprise anyone.

It means that cruising will be just as 'safe' in October, or December, or 2021 as it is now.  Everyone needs to judge their own risk and make plans accordingly.  No one should expect a virus free environment, anywhere, including cruising, even after a vaccine.

The way out is through.

Germany with TUI and Greece with Celestyal Cruises did look promising at one point, but now with  Celestyal Cruises further suspending its sailings until March 6, 2021 together with additional port closings, looks like 2020 cruising is all but over except for maybe very limited river cruises. 

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

@Germancruiser - Is this the cruise that you were on?

He posted this on the HAL board.

11 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Aida starts out of Germany in August. I heard the first sailings of Mein Schiff 1 has been canceled due to a crew member testet postiv for Covid19.

The ship I will board on monday is the Mein Schiff 2 - and it is still on... let´s cross fingers... LOL!

6 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

TUI which is a 50-50 joint venture with RCI, announced that the restart date of the Mein Schiff 1 which was scheduled for late July, has been cancelled.  The "official" reason was stated as manning problems -- such as lack of crew.  In a facebook page, a few crew members wrote that they had all its crew in place but that 7 crew members had tested positive for Covid-19 and that was the real reason for the cancellation.  Can't vouch for the veracity of what the crew members wrote, but true or not, this isn't helping the cruising industry. 

This information is not correct. The first ship to start is Mein Schiff 2 in July and this has not ben changed. She starts tomorrow from Hamburg. 

For the second ship that was scheduled to start in August from Kiel (which is Mein Schiff 1) just the very first cruise has been canceled and they now start on August 3. 

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

This information is not correct. The first ship to start is Mein Schiff 2 in July and this has not ben changed. She starts tomorrow from Hamburg. 

For the second ship that was scheduled to start in August from Kiel (which is Mein Schiff 1) just the very first cruise has been canceled and they now start on August 3. 

Before you go off on "this information is not correct" - I was referring to the Mein Schiff 1 ONLY whose restart date WAS cancelled.  Never did I mention Mein Schiff 2 which I know nothing about.  Not sure,  but if reports are correct and they have 7 Covid cases, the chances of a restart on August 3 is slim. 

I fear that it is going to be like that on all of the ships for a while. Crew members return from their home countries and if not at first, will eventually test positive. The virus is still sort of "hot" worldwide and I think this will be a problem for a while. 

And that is just crew members to staff the ships, let alone passengers, and ports. 

The very first cruise starts out of Hamburg today- if that one goes the way it should be and no infections are detected - MY little Blue Voyage" will start on monday. As I love sea days- planing to keep to myself and in dire need of some " time out"- those Blue Voyages seemed custom made for me- and sailing at only 60% capacity sounds not bad either.

11 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

@Germancruiser - Is this the cruise that you were on?

I am boarding Mein Schiff 2- if everything goes according to the plan on monday July 27th. Staying on until July 31st.

8 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Before you go off on "this information is not correct" - I was referring to the Mein Schiff 1 ONLY whose restart date WAS cancelled.  Never did I mention Mein Schiff 2 which I know nothing about.  Not sure,  but if reports are correct and they have 7 Covid cases, the chances of a restart on August 3 is slim. 

You mentioned TUI restart date in general and in your second comment said that that cruising from Germany in 2020 might now be all over. Mein Schiff 2 always has been the first TUI ship scheduled to sail in July from Hamburg and she still sails today. This was my point.

We will always have new cases in the next months, the question is if this becomes critical or live threatening (again). 

Posted (edited)

@Saab4444 is totally correct... TUI Cruises first announced the voyages of the Mein Schiff 2 out of Hamburg. The first cruise is starting today as planned.

Later they added more cruises out of Kiel on Mein Schiff 1. The first cruise was scheduled for July 31st and has now been cancelled. The new start date is now August 3rd (the second scheduled cruise).

TUI Cruises has not yet confirmed the Covid 19 cases. They only confirmed that they had problems getting the crew onboard in time. The cruise lines restarting (AIDA, TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd) have agreed on a 14 day quarantine for all crew prior to the start of the first cruise.

@livingonthebeach although your information on Mein Schiff 1 is correct the title of this thread is not correct as Mein Schiff 2 was always the first one to start and will start as scheduled today. TUI Cruises never announced the cancellation of the restart date. It´s just one cruise of the second ship which was supposed to start.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, steamboats said:

@Saab4444 is totally correct... TUI Cruises first announced the voyages of the Mein Schiff 2 out of Hamburg. The first cruise is starting today as planned.

Later they added more cruises out of Kiel on Mein Schiff 1. The first cruise was scheduled for July 31st and has now been cancelled. The new start date is now August 3rd (the second scheduled cruise).

TUI Cruises has not yet confirmed the Covid 19 cases. They only confirmed that they had problems getting the crew onboard in time. The cruise lines restarting (AIDA, TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd) have agreed on a 14 day quarantine for all crew prior to the start of the first cruise.

@livingonthebeach although your information on Mein Schiff 1 is correct the title of this thread is not correct as Mein Schiff 2 was always the first one to start and will start as scheduled today. TUI Cruises never announced the cancellation of the restart date. It´s just one cruise of the second ship which was supposed to start.

steamboats

Thank you for the clarification.   Hopefully, if things go smoothly for TUI and they get it right, it will pave the way for other cruise lines.  Right now it seems the majority of the industry does not want to take any chances.  Not sure if the Covid cases on the MS 1 are legit, but rather doubtful they would make a formal announcement if they were.  Let's hope it's smooth sailing for both the MS1 and the MS2. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

On 7/23/2020 at 7:35 AM, livingonthebeach said:

I am not surprised to hear of this cancellation.  What bothers me that if it is true the mein Schiff 1 is cancelled due to some crew testing positive the fact they are claiming it is manning issues instead of being upfront and tell the truth, if that is the case. 

If cruise lines want our loyalty they need to be honest and upfront with everything!

Here's another line starting this month in Asia. They are scheduled for a restart of July 26 -- let's hope all goes well.

"Explorer Dream, part of the Malaysian-owned Dream Cruises fleet owned by the giant Genting Group, is set to depart on Sunday on a "Taiwan Island-Hopping" itinerary."

https://www.traveller.com.au/cruising-and-covid19-first-cruise-ships-set-sail-for-first-time-since-coronavirus-outbreak-h1pkcx

10 crew members of AIDA have been tested postive. All crew member arrived with charter flights by AIDA. Affected are the ships AIDAblu and AIDAmar which are both in the port of Rostock. AIDA expect both ships to sail as scheduled (Aug 12th and 16th).

Currently they are waiting for a second test to confirm the first one. But all crew members were tested when going onboard and went into isolation until the results came back.

They are now tracing how the crew members got infected as all were negative when they boarded the planes. And all have been in quarantine prior to the flight.

steamboats

15 minutes ago, steamboats said:

10 crew members of AIDA have been tested postive. All crew member arrived with charter flights by AIDA. Affected are the ships AIDAblu and AIDAmar which are both in the port of Rostock. AIDA expect both ships to sail as scheduled (Aug 12th and 16th).

Currently they are waiting for a second test to confirm the first one. But all crew members were tested when going onboard and went into isolation until the results came back.

They are now tracing how the crew members got infected as all were negative when they boarded the planes. And all have been in quarantine prior to the flight.

steamboats

Interesting...unless I missed something, don't think AIDA publicly announced it.  The only information I could find came from this source:

https://www.indonewyork.com/health/Top-virologist-provides-critical-signals-in-Germany-h20024.html

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Interesting...unless I missed something, don't think AIDA publicly announced it.  The only information I could find came from this source:

https://www.indonewyork.com/health/Top-virologist-provides-critical-signals-in-Germany-h20024.html

It was in German media and actually there was a press conference this afternoon ;-).

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/mecklenburg-vorpommern/AIDA-Zehn-Crew-Mitglieder-mit-Corona-infiziert,coronavirus2716.html

Just as an example - this is public media (TV and radio).

steamboats

32 minutes ago, steamboats said:

It was in German media and actually there was a press conference this afternoon ;-).

https://www.ndr.de/nachrichten/mecklenburg-vorpommern/AIDA-Zehn-Crew-Mitglieder-mit-Corona-infiziert,coronavirus2716.html

Just as an example - this is public media (TV and radio).

steamboats

Looks like the news agencies got their info from LAGuS the Health Agency.  Did AIDA issue an official statement? 

On 7/23/2020 at 6:44 AM, boatseller said:

The way out is through.

That is probably my favorite NIN song. Not sure if you meant it that way or not but the lyrics are quite appropriate to what we are facing today.  If you meant it, I see what you did there.  😜  If not, check out the song. 

All I've undergone
I will keep on

Underneath it all
We feel so small
The heavens fall
But still we crawl

All I've undergone
I will keep on

58 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

That is probably my favorite NIN song. Not sure if you meant it that way or not but the lyrics are quite appropriate to what we are facing today.  If you meant it, I see what you did there.  😜  If not, check out the song. 

All I've undergone
I will keep on

Underneath it all
We feel so small
The heavens fall
But still we crawl

All I've undergone
I will keep on

Wouldn't know a NIN lyric unless Kylie did a cover.  🙃

I'm thinking of Star Trek TNG Episode Time Squared where Capt. Picard realizes after many failed attempts to escape a vortex, the only way out is to fly into it.

Also a bit of Hero Worship where we learn that sometimes the more you fight nature, the worse it gets.

The first cruise of Mein Schiff 2 left Hamburg six hours ago. Everything went like they planed so far. The newest information I got from Tui- Cruises prior my own boarding on monday afternoon was that no Buffets are allowed- well that was to expect- and is not relevant for me- since I don´t use Buffets anymore. That picture was in the press this morning- only four persons allowed in the Lifts:

grafik.png.be2cb532fac37ae58d1695480131d654.png

Now I hope everything on this first voyage which started yesterdays goes well- so I can board on monday. Look forward to three sea days and an almost brand new ship.

13 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Looks like the news agencies got their info from LAGuS the Health Agency.  Did AIDA issue an official statement? 

Yes, AIDA did issue an official statement and as I said before there was a press conference including AIDA.

steamboats

3 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

The newest information I got from Tui- Cruises prior my own boarding on monday afternoon was that no Buffets are allowed- well that was to expect- and is not relevant for me- since I don´t use Buffets anymore.

I saw a news report on RTL where they showed the buffet. You have to stay in a distance and tell the staff what you want. Looked a bit weired and not really practicable... The report was obviouly filmed yesterday in the morning with no pax onboard.

I wonder how they will check that elevator rule 😂! I don´t mind... walking the stairs is part of my exercise program on a cruise.

steamboats