Masks on Ships

Pickels

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

Agreed, "Lady Arwen."  They are disgusting for several reasons, including (but not limited to) the following ...

1.  Hiding a considerable portion of a person's personality, for, while the eyes are sometimes called "the window to the soul," a smile or frown may reveal as much or more.

2.  Forcing the wearer repeatedly to feel the unpleasant heat of his/her exhalations (many degrees warmer than "room temperature").

3.  Forcing the wearer to inhale a great deal of Carbon Dioxide, instead of clean air (mainly Nitrogen and Oxygen).

4.  Causing the wearer to experience discomfort caused by the elastic of the ear loops.

5.  Muffling the wearer's voice, making others unable to hear (and thus forcing the speaker to repeat him/herself with excessive exertion).

6.  Causing a loss of money for the purchase (not a great deal for a single person, but an enormous amount for society collectively).

7.  A considerable number of people (consciously or not) rely on lip-reading.

Please add other factors and thoughts, if you wish.

How about this: Wearing a mask keeps you from catching and spreading a deadly virus??? Your list is more than a bit odd. I’d not go on a cruise if a mask was required, Not because of the issues you list, but because I wouldn’t put myself in such an environment when COVID was still rampant. I wear a mask whenever I go into public which isn’t that much right now. On a cruise, Id hope not to spend most of my time in my SR so wearing a mask would be for a good deal of time would not be what I’d do on a vacation. 

By the way, here is the comparison of Oxygen/Nitrogen/Carbon Dioxide by %. So don’t worry about exhaling CO2 - you get all the Oxygen you need wearing a mask.

Oxygen.               Carbon Dioxide                      Nitrogen

Enhale.                          21%                              0.4%                                        79%  

Exhale.                           16%.                             4%.                                         79%

Den

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Enjoy your cruise.  Come back and let us know how it was.

I sure will post during or at least after the Blue Voyage! I have some questions put together which I am curious to experience on borad a ship in the midst of a pandemic:

1. How does it work with wearing masks- do the people adhere to the rules- knowing my fellow Germans - I am sure most do.. LOL!

2. How is the boatdrill handled ( we are told we have to go to a demonstration right after boarding - so every group which is boarding has the drill done and over with quickly- I hope- interssting to experience if it works.

3. How do they handle the buffets- Waiters handing out what you wish- or table side service- I have to check on that since i never use buffets anymore.

4. How does it work at the pool- wearing mask- entering the pool- who watches over how many people enter the pool?

5. We are told in one of the letters I got from Tui that chairs and tables in lounges, bars and restaurants are set a good deal more appart- to adhere social distancing- does it work?

• Like 2

A quick story before this whole thing gets shutdown:

One pont that was brought up about maskwearing: it makes it hard to ‘lipread’. You’d be surprised how many use this and many who do don’t even realize it. I’d lost most of my hearing in one hear (a bit too much sitting in between two jet engines!) and the other getting weak. The guy testing me asked me to repeat words and he had my wife say them. I did OK. Then he had her cover her mouth and I missed 80%! Never realized what i was doing to ‘supplement’ my hearing. 

But is that a reason not to wear a mask?.......Nope. Just like all the other very subjective inconveniences listed before. And that is what they are. And the reason the Oxygen/CO2 ‘issue’ was responded to is because that was the only one that had any level of measurement, all the others were subjective ‘bothersomes’. And the Oxy/CO2  was just another red herring. 

Den

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

A quick story before this whole thing gets shutdown:

One pont that was brought up about maskwearing: it makes it hard to ‘lipread’. You’d be surprised how many use this and many who do don’t even realize it. I’d lost most of my hearing in one hear (a bit too much sitting in between two jet engines!) and the other getting weak. The guy testing me asked me to repeat words and he had my wife say them. I did OK. Then he had her cover her mouth and I missed 80%! Never realized what i was doing to ‘supplement’ my hearing. 

But is that a reason not to wear a mask?.......Nope. Just like all the other very subjective inconveniences listed before. And that is what they are. And the reason the Oxygen/CO2 ‘issue’ was responded to is because that was the only one that had any level of measurement, all the others were subjective ‘bothersomes’. And the Oxy/CO2  was just another red herring. 

Den

As long as we don name Names I guess we are safe. LOL! I agree though- mask can make hearing a bit tiresome- but with that one can live. What I found out-- which i knew before of course- but never did it notice so clear- EYES CAN SMILE, too.

If I get a smile that does not reach the eyes- well I can to very well without SUCH a smile- thank you very much. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jg51 said:

"It's unfortunate that there is so much disinformation being propagated by the anti-maskers."

We have not encountered anti-maskers "propagating disinformation," and we ourselves do not do so.  Rather, we (1) explain facts regarding why masks are extremely unpleasant to so many, and (2) we offer an opinion that masks are disgusting, regardless of "style and size." 

Nevertheless, we also wear masks where they are required by law (while feeling disgusted with every breath taken)!

We cannot help noticing that those who oppose us seem to focus on just one point (Oxygen versus Carbon Dioxide), when we made SEVEN points, six of which they conveniently ignore.  Even if we were to be persuaded that masked people get enough Oxygen, we would still stand firm in hating masks, because the other six points are incontrovertible. 

PS:  Our belief that there is insufficient Oxygen taken in came, not from hearing/reading any comment from another person, but from our very first experience wearing a mask for sixty minutes: Oxygen deprivation and excess Carbon Dioxide caused a headache.

That does a great job of explaining why your cardiothoracic surgeon on their feet for 6-7 hours IN A MASK routinely passes out from CO2 buildup and O2 deprivation...  NOT!

Put a pulse oximeter on you finger and repeat your severn points. They won't hold up!

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Thanks for the information- and I agree!

The acronym MSM often refers to "Main Stream Media" which is code among some in the USA for "Any media outlet which does not spew right-wing conspiracy theories and/or contempt for values such as equality, civil rights, facts rather than religion in science classes, caring about other human beings, etc." I was having a bit of fun by changing the acronym. 

I appreciate your use of masks and the way your country has handled this virus and its effects. I hope you enjoy your cruise, and I look forward to hearing about it!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I think we have an idea how the Royal Caribbean CEO and Chairman feels on the subject of wearing masks

https://www.*****.com/category/category/richard-fain

"In America, we pride ourselves on our individualism. But taken too far, individualism can begin to look a lot like selfishness. We should be angry that so many people are ignoring the simple fact that by exposing themselves to others, they are helping the spread of the disease."

"If we all do what they tell us, if we all take the steps to wear a face covering and to keep separated by at least six feet, it won't take long to bring this disease under control."

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Thank you MamaFej for you kind words- I will sure write back- if I have the chance I write right from the ship! 

There are reasons other than BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, and Audi why the Autobahn works. And why it largely only works in Germany. The same logic applies to mask wearing. I really never worried about a German driver passing me on the right at 180 km/hr...

Vielen Dank!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, markeb said:

That does a great job of explaining why your cardiothoracic surgeon on their feet for 6-7 hours IN A MASK routinely passes out from CO2 buildup and O2 deprivation...  NOT!

Put a pulse oximeter on you finger and repeat your severn points. They won't hold up!

yes and people in Hong Kong ( who are very serious about this And have some broad experiences with respiratory diseases) are dropping like flies when walking on the streets while wearing masks NOT.

Some people just need a reality check.

Such a minor discomfort like wearing a mask became a perceived issue for so many - just imagine what they‘d say if they‘d need to use much more invasive steps to spreading the virus - like daily shots with large needles or such...

I can‘t imagine of anything less troublesome than wearing a mask in order to limit this evil thing spreading.

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, markeb said:

I have to wear a mask at work (hospital) for 8 hours a day,  with one short break. I have yet to pass out or even feel faint. 

• Like 9

Compliance to rules is necessary...

When we visit temples, churches...we cover legs and shoulders so show respect for the culture we are visiting. What we need to wear may not be the most comfortable garments we possess but they are the most appropriate.

Use of masks is showing respect for the health of others, it isn’t just about ourselves. Our opinions on masks doesn’t matter what does matter is following a rule that has been identified as keeping people safe.

When our cruise draws nearer we will use a wide spectrum of information before deciding if the time is right for us to return to cruising as I think most people will.

• Like 10

IMO, no sense getting upset or arguing about any of it.  The decisions are being made for us.  Our decision is where to spend our vacation dollars.  For me, a mask is a deal breaker, but I wish those who do go a wonderful time. The biggest positive in favor of the mask is that it got a frightened and paranoid society out working and spending money.  I am speculating that as vacation destinations want more money, the masks and restrictions will be tossed aside.  Greed is a powerful motivator. It will just take time to play out.

Edited by Lazz
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Lazz said:

Our decision is where to spend our vacation dollars.  For me, a mask is a deal breaker, but I wish those who do go a wonderful time. 

We are on the " same page " and as a previous poster said " Compliance to rules is necessary " .

That does not only apply to cruising .