Masks on Ships

Pickels

13 hours ago, markeb said:

If mask wear is deemed necessary, I just view it as an indication that the cruise lines (and passengers, frankly) are trying to force a control measure that is pretty effective for reducing the risks of necessary and essential interactions into what is a purely leisure and optional experience. If we still really need the mask to reduce risk to an acceptable level, then, to me, we're not ready for that leisure activity. I see no reason to put myself in that situation (and yes, I have some risk factors), and certainly no reason to pay to put myself in that position.

Well, then I think you´ll unfortunately have to wait a long long time 😞 

While I hear you and get what you are saying, I don´t think that the Corona issue, and therefore the necessity for measures like wearing masks in certain situations, will just disappear - regardles of a vaccine. 

As we have to learn to live with the remaining risk of Corona, just as we learned to live with the risk of Noro etc. we will have to accept certain precautions as part of the "new normal". IMHO masks in certain situations will be a part of that.

Wearing masks has been an everyday thing in many Asian countries long before Covid-19 - and not just due to pollution. It was a regular and in no way unusual sight. In some countries it was and is even regarded as a matter of respect. I think it won´t be so unusual in the western world in the future.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, markeb said:

I posted something like this a long time ago. I personally wouldn't go on a cruise that required mask wearing. Not because the mask is a problem for me (although they can get uncomfortable and I'm still trying to find a truly "good" reusable mask).

If mask wear is deemed necessary, I just view it as an indication that the cruise lines (and passengers, frankly) are trying to force a control measure that is pretty effective for reducing the risks of necessary and essential interactions into what is a purely leisure and optional experience. If we still really need the mask to reduce risk to an acceptable level, then, to me, we're not ready for that leisure activity. I see no reason to put myself in that situation (and yes, I have some risk factors), and certainly no reason to pay to put myself in that position.

Others clearly have different opinions, and I have no issues with that.

well said!

• Like 1

We think that masks are probably here to stay at least for several years, vaccine or no vaccine, especially for those who are at risk.  We would probably take a cruise if masks were required at some times in some places.  Depends on the itinerary.  

We wear are masks now when & where we are supposed to, we don't like them, but we're not stupid!!  

We really, really miss traveling, not just cruising, and can't wait until we can get back out there again.

• Like 2

I entered this thread with an open mind in the hopes that I might actually learn something new that I didn't know before. Sure, there were some references to articles that I have not specifically read but they further cemented the conclusions I have taken away from other articles and news sources I have read.

From time to time, there are other threads initiated on CHARGED topics, and those threads tend to get carried away with "spirited" posts. I could tell after reading the first page of 20 posts that I would not be making a contribution until I had read the whole thread. No point in responding to something mid-stream if it has been corrected/updated several posts (or pages) later. As I read through the entire thread, I saw the typical types of comments made (by typical posters) and the defenses put up by other posters. When somebody makes a post that is contrary to the OP or others that have contributed to the thread, it can be done in a way that is not personal. You can disagree with a premise without finding fault with the person that made the post. This medium of discussion is very 1 dimensional. I agree that all of us can all be a bit nicer and more civil with each other when making posts. They can be made without generalizing or being antagonistic. 

In years past, I used to be very active on the Celebrity and Norwegian boards posting information about my cruises, sharing the details of my travel experiences, and at times "correcting" misinformation posted by others. I was a big proponent of posting a hyperlink to the information that I was sharing, especially if it came from an actual source. This allowed me to share information sources so that folks didn't try to argue about something if they disagreed with the content or information. Every once in a while I was guilty of stating some errant information in a thread. The true sign of somebody's character is being able to "own your own words" by coming back to clarify the point you were trying to make, or simply recant your words and admit an error had been made. I don't know why that is so hard to do. Like many others, I became tired of the regulars that would show up to harp on the same issues on different threads or had some axe to grind with another CC member regardless of what they posted. I've personally admired many CC members for the posts made over the years. I've learned a lot from the reading I've done and I've often thought I would enjoy meeting you in person and learning more. In some cases, I have had the opportunity to meet you (whether you were aware of that or not). In some cases it has been an enjoyable exchange, and in other cases I didn't like what I saw. Don't get me wrong... I've met some perfectly wonderful CC members over the years. However, the "on-line" persona and the "in-person" persona are not always the same. 

These days, I am what you would likely refer to as a "lurker". On this thread, there were some posts that I agreed with and others that I did not. Some that were based in "facts" and others that were "subjective" in nature. I've enjoyed the use of this newer feature of being able to tag a post with a "Like", or "Laugh" or "Thanks". When viewing some of those reactions from various CC personas, it has been informative about what certain posters think of others and tells you all you need to know about some of the folks that post on this board.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vulcan1971 said:

In years past, I used to be very active on the Celebrity and Norwegian boards posting information about my cruises, sharing the details of my travel experiences, and at times "correcting" misinformation posted by others.

These days, I am what you would likely refer to as a "lurker". 

Mr Vulcan,

I have always enjoyed your posts.  Hope you go back to posting again.  😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Texed said:

Mr Vulcan,

I have always enjoyed your posts.  Hope you go back to posting again.  😊

@Texed - thank you for your words of encouragement. In my mind you will ALWAYS be synonymous with waffles. 😆 Here's to cruising again with a plate of freshly made waffles. 

8 hours ago, vulcan1971 said:

@Texed - thank you for your words of encouragement. In my mind you will ALWAYS be synonymous with waffles. 😆 Here's to cruising again with a plate of freshly made waffles. 

Well, I guess there are worse things I could be remembered for.  I do miss the cruises.  😊

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

That's been the case for a while now - I think even before the parks opened when only Disney Springs was open. Bandanas and gaiters were the first change made. Then they added "You should remain stationary" to the "Masks may be removed while eating or drinking" because people were walking around with open and/or empty water bottles and if confronted would say they were drinking. And now they have had to add a "No masks with holes, mesh, or vents" because people were using those (in some cases cutting holes in the masks) and saying they were for straws. They are actively discovering loopholes people are trying to find and closing them.

6 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

That's been the case for a while now - I think even before the parks opened when only Disney Springs was open. Bandanas and gaiters were the first change made. Then they added "You should remain stationary" to the "Masks may be removed while eating or drinking" because people were walking around with open and/or empty water bottles and if confronted would say they were drinking. And now they have had to add a "No masks with holes, mesh, or vents" because people were using those (in some cases cutting holes in the masks) and saying they were for straws. They are actively discovering loopholes people are trying to find and closing them.

The scarf/bandana loophole was the most widely used one that I found on my road vacation two weeks ago.  Not Disney, but it seems to be a widely used loophole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

The scarf/bandana loophole was the most widely used one that I found on my road vacation two weeks ago.  Not Disney, but it seems to be a widely used loophole.

I do use a bandana while running or walking, BUT that is because I'm out early enough I encounter very few people so pulling it up when passing is not a big deal. If I'm out later to go to the store or grab take-out or even go for an afternoon/evening walk it's a mask. Also if I have to go anywhere directly after an early morning run, I carry a mask with me to put on once my run is finished.

I'd never use it as a substitute when going into any store or restaurant or theme park.

15 hours ago, vulcan1971 said:

However, the "on-line" persona and the "in-person" persona are not always the same. 

tells you all you need to know about some of the folks that post on this board.

I read your post a few times and you appear to be frustrated , rightly so , with what you have seen recently on CC.

I'm still relatively new to social network " stuff " and learned very quickly exactly what you refer to.

I learned early one to never take anything personal from someone that I don't know and there are several " agitators " on sites like this . 

There are also so many people that I would love to meet in person and perhaps that might happen at some time.

In the meantime, let's just enjoy CC .

3 hours ago, XLVIII said:

I would have no problem wearing a mask on a cruise.

My wife would not cruise if she had to wear one.

I'm going to miss her...

Wow, you sound like a " real man ".

You remind me of the guy that's the " funniest , loudest , " at a party who ends up driving home in a car that's quieter than a funeral home.  " But, everybody laughed like hell when I told them what your mother's cooking tastes like " !!

12 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Wow, you sound like a " real man ".

You remind me of the guy that's the " funniest , loudest , " at a party who ends up driving home in a car that's quieter than a funeral home.  " But, everybody laughed like hell when I told them what your mother's cooking tastes like " !!

Why must you constantly be putting others down? Does it make you feel better? Sounds like a self esteem issue. Yeah, that's what you remind me of. 

Just now, ORV said:

Why must you constantly be putting others down? Does it make you feel better? Sounds like a self esteem issue. Yeah, that's what you remind me of. 

I have NEVER put anybody down , period !!!! 

It was just a little humor, if you read the second line !!!!!

Nice try , though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I have NEVER put anybody down , period !!!! 

It was just a little humor, if you read the second line !!!!!

Nice try , though. 

You really need to read through some of your posts. Amazing that you don't even realize it. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, XLVIII said:

I would have no problem wearing a mask on a cruise.

My wife would not cruise if she had to wear one.

I'm going to miss her...

Gee whiz people .... chill! This post is a clearly a clever joke. It's funny!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, AC Stew said:

Absolutely correct !!

Have a look at a previous post where I was having a little fun and someone took exception to it and several of my posts .

LOL----Believe me, some folks on CC would not be as aggressive in person. 

32 minutes ago, ORV said:

I just considered he was/is talking about himself, again. Now that's funny. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

Many people can't take a joke...I agree, it was funny...sort of like the looking for a new wife/girlfriend that must like to fish...send pics of boat and motor.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1