Celebrity Cruise Ripoff

Rainypoo

We were scheduled to go on a 10 day Celebrity Cruise leaving from Miami on March 13, 2020. On March 8, the U.S. State Department issued a travel advisory telling U.S. citizens not to go on cruises because people were getting sick and spreading the Coronavirus. Some ships were already not being allowed to disembark at ports and people were getting stuck at sea. Celebrity Reflection set sail only to return 4 days later due to the unsafe situation so the cruise was essentially cancelled. Celebrity refuses to issue a refund because we didn't go on this dangerous 4 day excursion. Celebrity should have cancelled this cruise but they are adding insult to injury by refusing to issue a refund. We have called, emailed, and called again only to be told that this is Celebrity's policy. They've issued refunds to others who had their trips cancelled but Celebrity's treatment of us is absolutely infuriating!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's pretty simple.  If you boarded as planned you would have received compensation when the sailing was ended prematurely.   If you canceled or didn't show for the scheduled sailing it's between you and your travel insurance.

I disembarked Reflection on March 13 and I would have had no problem sailing the next sailing.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People are getting refunds when their trip was cancelled by Celebrity, not when they cancelled before Celebrity did. By not going on board when Celebrity sailed you effectively cancelled. At that point you were subject to penalties. Had you boarded and Celebrity returned after 4 days you would be entitled to compensation.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

If you canceled or didn't show for the scheduled sailing it's between you and your travel insurance.

In fact, Celebrity had already introduced the Cruise With Confidence program and the OP would have been entitled to 100% FCC had (s)he cancelled. We cancelled an April cruise on March 8 under then brand new CWC program and received our FCC with a few weeks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

People are getting refunds when their trip was cancelled by Celebrity, not when they cancelled before Celebrity did.

No refunds, but 100% FCC if you cancel under the CWC program, which was in play at the time of OP's cruise.

@Rainypoo This is a your first post on CC, you only  write about your frustration. This case is a NOT SHOW

March 14, 2020 Update

The CDC Director has reason to believe that cruise ship travel may continue to introduce, transmit, or spread COVID-19. As such, the CDC Director issued a No Sail Order for cruise ships effective March 14, 2020. CDC commends the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the leading industry trade group, for their willingness to voluntarily suspend cruise ship operations from U.S. ports of call beginning on March 13, 2020 for the next thirty (30) days. See the attached order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 7 pages] for the full requirements.

Screenshot_20200313-145725_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by gerelmx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand your frustration.  Stupidly, we were on a Oceania cruise that sailed on March 8th.   It was a huge mistake.  We had a horrible cruise scared to do anything. Most venues were closed, most ports were skipped, ran out of some things, and were not given any ship info about anything. Got info from emails, internet, and tv.  We got some fcc which we will probably not use.  Count yourself lucky to be smart enough to stay home. Wish that I had been a NoShow.  Cruising in March was the worst vacation of my life.  I never want to be in that situation again. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I understand your frustration.  Stupidly, we were on a Oceania cruise that sailed on March 8th.   It was a huge mistake.  We had a horrible cruise scared to do anything. Most venues were closed, most ports were skipped, ran out of some things, and were not given any ship info about anything. Got info from emails, internet, and tv.  We got some fcc which we will probably not use.  Count yourself lucky to be smart enough to stay home. Wish that I had been a NoShow.  Cruising in March was the worst vacation of my life.  I never want to be in that situation again. 

We cruised on HAL March 8-15.  Knew we were taking some level of risk.  We got lucky and had a GREAT cruise in every way.  Made 3 of 4 ports, missed the one only because of high seas.  Glad we took the risk, it's likely our last cruise for a long time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rainypoo said:

We were scheduled to go on a 10 day Celebrity Cruise leaving from Miami on March 13, 2020. On March 8, the U.S. State Department issued a travel advisory telling U.S. citizens not to go on cruises because people were getting sick and spreading the Coronavirus. Some ships were already not being allowed to disembark at ports and people were getting stuck at sea. Celebrity Reflection set sail only to return 4 days later due to the unsafe situation so the cruise was essentially cancelled. Celebrity refuses to issue a refund because we didn't go on this dangerous 4 day excursion. Celebrity should have cancelled this cruise but they are adding insult to injury by refusing to issue a refund. We have called, emailed, and called again only to be told that this is Celebrity's policy. They've issued refunds to others who had their trips cancelled but Celebrity's treatment of us is absolutely infuriating!

Are you indicating that X refunded others on your sailing and not you?

If that is the case and really 'if it is', then there is an issue or some information which you may have inadvertently omitted.

Otherwise, if your sailing was in fact not canceled and you chose to bail AND did not have CFAR travel insurance, this is entirely a whole different issue IMO...

Now, if you are taking the position that X 'should have cancelled' this sailing and did not, on what basis are you making this call? Did you find anywhere that X cancelled the sailing or not?

Yes rainy, poo on X for not treating you any differently than any other passenger who may or may not have taken that sailing for whatever reason because you demand it .

I Am sure that someone will come along to describe the incentives they received from the sailing, as you described.

Needless to ask, yet, does this mean you will never book another X sailing again?

bon voyage

btw: Welcome to CC... do a search for similar complaints posted here.

• Like 1

Well I read and reread the OP. I'm still not sure I got this right. It would seem that there was travel advisory but instead of cancelling the cruise the OP simply didn't show up? I didn't hear anything about any "dangerous situation on Reflection, I'm sure the cruise was cut short because of the cruise lines shutting down. As it turns out Celebrity did not cancel the cruise and it was cut short. I'm guessing those who sailed as planned and had there cruise cut short got compensated. I'm sorry you can't just not show up and expect a refund. The OP may have had legitimate concern for their safety but they had certain responsibilities to do cancel before the fact. If in fact they did cancel then I guess they had better work harder to get their money back.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rainypoo said:

On March 8, the U.S. State Department issued a travel advisory telling U.S. citizens not to go on cruises because people were getting sick and spreading the Coronavirus

If there is a government travel advisory issued, then you can claim on your travel insurance.  We have done that and have been paid our deposit, less £10 p.p. excess.

I live in the UK and we now have a Gov.UK advisory in place for all passengers. When I claimed it was only for passengers over 70 and at that time Celebrity also required a ‘Fit to Sail’ doctors letter, so we cancelled our cruise before final payment was due.

Edited by upwarduk

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I read and reread the OP. I'm still not sure I got this right. It would seem that there was travel advisory but instead of cancelling the cruise the OP simply didn't show up? I didn't hear anything about any "dangerous situation on Reflection, I'm sure the cruise was cut short because of the cruise lines shutting down. As it turns out Celebrity did not cancel the cruise and it was cut short. I'm guessing those who sailed as planned and had there cruise cut short got compensated. I'm sorry you can't just not show up and expect a refund. The OP may have had legitimate concern for their safety but they had certain responsibilities to do cancel before the fact. If in fact they did cancel then I guess they had better work harder to get their money back.

I was also surprised to hear about the dangerous situation on Reflection as we were on the previous cruise and heard of no Illness or infection. We were encouraged to wash hands and use sanitizer and I would say there was a heightened level of cleaning. We were not turned away from any port and had a great cruise. We would have happily stayed on if we had booked b2b. 

• Like 1

Celebrity told us that we could take a credit so that's what we did because they had us over a barrel.  It wasn't safe to travel and the State Department had told US citizens not to go on cruises because people were getting stuck on cruise ships with the Coronavirus spreading like crazy and people getting stuck on ships unable to disembark.  Celebrity has had our money for over a year and who knows how long it will be until it's safe to go on a cruise.  Essentially, this cruise was cancelled because they floated around at sea unable to go to any of the Caribbean countries or excursions.  If I'd booked a cruise a week later, I would have gotten a refund but Celebrity refuses to give me a refund because I took the credit or I would have gotten nothing.  It was very poor decision on Celebrity's part to embark on this cruise, and even worse treatment of their passengers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Are you indicating that X refunded others on your sailing and not you?

If that is the case and really 'if it is', then there is an issue or some information which you may have inadvertently omitted.

Otherwise, if your sailing was in fact not canceled and you chose to bail AND did not have CFAR travel insurance, this is entirely a whole different issue IMO...

Now, if you are taking the position that X 'should have cancelled' this sailing and did not, on what basis are you making this call? Did you find anywhere that X cancelled the sailing or not?

Yes rainy, poo on X for not treating you any differently than any other passenger who may or may not have taken that sailing for whatever reason because you demand it .

I Am sure that someone will come along to describe the incentives they received from the sailing, as you described.

Needless to ask, yet, does this mean you will never book another X sailing again?

bon voyage

btw: Welcome to CC... do a search for similar complaints posted here.