Can anyone explain best Seattle areas to stay?

mscloyd

On 8/11/2020 at 6:16 AM, Roz said:

I've stayed at 4 different hotels at or near SeaTac and did not find any of them to be substandard.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:01 AM, Husky61 said:

I live near Seattle and would disagree with you that all of the airport hotels are substandard.  There are some very nice hotels near the airport.

On 8/11/2020 at 11:14 AM, Langley Cruisers said:

Agreed, and I should have said this when I replied yesterday. Tree-skier, with due respect, you make it sound like there is not a Seattle airport hotel worth your time and money. I, and others, would disagree. We have stayed several times at hotels that service SEA and they were wonderful. It's disparaging to paint all the hotels with the same brush when there are many options that would do nicely.

(Having said that, again, OP is not staying at the airport so the point is moot to him/her.)

I'm glad that you have had some success staying at hotels on International Blvd.  I have over 100 nights in the last decade staying in hotels on that strip prior to boarding early flights at Seatac.  I have stayed in everything for Red Roof to Red Lion to Holiday Inn to Double tree.  There is not a single hotel that I would stay in if it were not for the need to be next door to the airport.  

• Like 1

We use public transportation in lots of places. In Seattle (our kids lived near by), we have ended up staying at the Hilton at SEATAC. Why? you can walk across the parking deck and out to the hotel (but they have an airport shuttle so no worry there). Then you are 1/2 block away from the Rail Line and zips you to say Pioneer Square, or Westlake where we can get to all the sights...the ferries....and such. Sometimes better rates there and a lovely hotel.
This isn't quite helping your question but may be an option.

Lou

• Like 1

Fly into Vancouver BC and take your Alaskan cruise from there.  Or just fly into Anchorage and go from there, lot of bed n breakfast to enjoy from Anchorage, to Homer, Valdez, and everywhere in-between.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
The Residence Inn Downtown on Terry probably has the best location for exploring of the places you mentioned. It’s a short walk to Westlake where the monorail is located that goes to the Seattle Center/Space Needle. I’m not sure I’d choose a hotel just based on the breakfast but the South Lake Union Residence Inn had the best free hotel breakfast we’ve ever had.

If your cruise departs from the Bell Street Pier 66 cruise terminal than the Marriott Waterfront is a dandy location for one night. The other cruise terminal is about 3 miles away. The problem with that Marriott is that it’s a bit inconvenient to get up into the downtown core and Pike Place Market although not that far really. There are several access points, a couple of elevators and stairs along the waterfront, that can take you up into the downtown core/Pike Place Market area although the elevator next to the Marriott will not be operating for a couple years due to the construction directly behind the hotel which will continue through 2021. You have to wonder about the construction noise.

We just booked the Marriott Waterfront for our stay in Seattle before and after our cruise. First time to Seattle and we had Marriott points to use. Sailing on Princess, so not sure what port number it departs from. But hoping terminal transportation is around and that Constructuon isnt an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, mellen3869 said:

We just booked the Marriott Waterfront for our stay in Seattle before and after our cruise. First time to Seattle and we had Marriott points to use. Sailing on Princess, so not sure what port number it departs from. But hoping terminal transportation is around and that Constructuon isnt an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Princess sails out of Pier 91, about 3 miles north-15 minute taxi ride.  If you have a water view, you will be able to see your cruise ship.   Be careful when you are in downtown Seattle.  Crime is getting a lot worse and the police force has been cut 75% in the last 4 years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheone said:

Princess sails out of Pier 91, about 3 miles north-15 minute taxi ride.  If you have a water view, you will be able to see your cruise ship.   Be careful when you are in downtown Seattle.  Crime is getting a lot worse and the police force has been cut 75% in the last 4 years.  

No, the police force has not been cut by 75% in the last 4 years.  Where did you get that info?

On 9/29/2020 at 12:06 PM, mellen3869 said:

It appears many of the pilings have been placed so noise may be less now although the construction directly behind the Marriott will continue through 2021 and into 2022.  It’s a wonderful area to walk as you’re not too far from the Olympic Sculpture Park and the Elliott Bay Trail.

As for a view of Smith Cove/Pier 99 from the Marriott Waterfront, you won’t have one. You’ll have a great view of the Bell St. Pier 61 as you’re across the street. Also, being on the north end of downtown it will be a quick ride to Smith Cove. A few hardy people walk it along the Elliott Bay Trail, about 1 hour.

It’s always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings although most the negatives about downtown Seattle are from people that don’t live here. We live downtown and have never felt unsafe.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If flying in for a cruise (and thus not having a car), is it better to stay in a hotel for one night closer to the cruise ship terminal (#66) or the airport?  I figure I'm going to either have to pay a taxi/Uber at some point but don't know which would make sense.  

1 hour ago, LadyMac72 said:

cruise terminal 91

There are no hotels near Pier 91/Smith Cove.  If you aren’t planning to explore the downtown area prior to the cruise the airport is much less expensive than downtown.   There is a hotel on Lower Queen Ann called The Mediterranean Inn. It gets good reviews and is one of the closer hotels to 91 at about 2.5 miles away. It’s also close to several restaurants and a Safeway if you need supplies. It’s also close to the Space Needle/Seattle Center.

15 hours ago, Glaciers said:

There are no hotels near Pier 91/Smith Cove.  If you aren’t planning to explore the downtown area prior to the cruise the airport is much less expensive than downtown.   There is a hotel on Lower Queen Ann called The Mediterranean Inn. It gets good reviews and is one of the closer hotels to 91 at about 2.5 miles away. It’s also close to several restaurants and a Safeway if you need supplies. It’s also close to the Space Needle/Seattle Center.

Thanks, Glaciers.... I was hoping you'd chime in.  Your posts have been very helpful to me in the past.   Coming into a city that I've only visited twice from the opposite coast is a bit daunting!

It's really only a price difference of $50 or so a night to stay at the The Mediterranean Inn (versus a chain hotel by the airport) and I think the plan is to arrive just the day before the cruise.  Without having made our airline reservations yet, though, I am not completely sure.  BF will be of no help.. he's happy to turn everything over to me! LOL.  My current thought is to find a hotel, check in, get the man a bowl of chowder and a beer and let him adjust to the time change. 

If you do stay there check out Buckley’s. It a short walk. Kind of a hole-in-the-wall bar but they used to have some wonderful clam chowder.  It’s more of a locals place. They also have some very good Georgetown Brewery beers. Try the Bodhizafa.  Another option is Taylor Shellfish which is close as well.

• 2 months later...

Two 70 year old slow walking ladies, going on a Princess cruise out of Pier 91.  We will be arriving late morning the day before so will have an afternoon.  I am interested in seeing Pike Market.

Any suggestions for a hotel?

On 8/10/2020 at 9:21 PM, Langley Cruisers said:

Cedarbrook Lodge is the exception. It is phenomenal. Not sure OP wants to be by the airport, but I felt the need to mention this after your comment.

https://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/

I agree.  I have stayed at Cedarbrook Inn and it is an oasis of tranquility by the airport.  It is located back in a neighborhood close to airport.

On 1/1/2021 at 11:23 AM, phabric said:

Two 70 year old slow walking ladies, going on a Princess cruise out of Pier 91.  We will be arriving late morning the day before so will have an afternoon.  I am interested in seeing Pike Market.

Any suggestions for a hotel?

Depending on your budget there are many hotels downtown that would work.  Take a look The State Hotel.  It opened a couple years ago a block from Pike Place Market and a 5 minute walk to Westlake Center for the monorail and light rail.

On 1/1/2021 at 11:23 AM, phabric said:

Two 70 year old slow walking ladies, going on a Princess cruise out of Pier 91.  We will be arriving late morning the day before so will have an afternoon.  I am interested in seeing Pike Market. Any suggestions for a hotel?

Motif Seattle, Hilton Seattle, Sheraton Grand Hotel, Westin Seattle and if you want really nice, Fairmont Olympic Hotel.