Does anyone have a CFAR Insurance credit issued while ships not sailing?

molly361

I have a $500 credit from a Royal Caribbean claim that was issued April 2020 with a year to use it.  I currently have it applied to a December sailing.  My TA was told that if I cancel the certificate will be issued with the old expiration date which does not seem fair since they already have not sailed for 6 months of the one year it is valid for.

Has anyone had one and been given an extension?  I would think that it should be valid for one year from when ships start up again.  Thanks

I'm in a similar "boat", having applied a CFAR insurance credit to a Princess cruise sailing in Fall 2020. Said cruise has now been cancelled, but they haven't yet reissued the credit. My understanding is that the credit will retain its original "sail by" date of 12/31/2020...and that will make it all but worthless under the circumstances. :-(

I've got my fingers crossed for a better resolution, but who knows what will happen.

13 minutes ago, mtwingcpa said:

I'm in a similar "boat", having applied a CFAR insurance credit to a Princess cruise sailing in Fall 2020. Said cruise has now been cancelled, but they haven't yet reissued the credit. My understanding is that the credit will retain its original "sail by" date of 12/31/2020...and that will make it all but worthless under the circumstances. 😞

I've got my fingers crossed for a better resolution, but who knows what will happen.

Good luck. 

44 minutes ago, mtwingcpa said:

I'm in a similar "boat", having applied a CFAR insurance credit to a Princess cruise sailing in Fall 2020. Said cruise has now been cancelled, but they haven't yet reissued the credit. My understanding is that the credit will retain its original "sail by" date of 12/31/2020...and that will make it all but worthless under the circumstances. 😞

I think that is an issue that it might be worth to escalate.  Doesn't seem fair to issue a certificate that you can't even use to to the fact that they have not sailed for most of the life of the certificate

I'm assuming you're asking about CFAR that is only offered thru special negotiations by the cruiseline insurance rather than a policy that includes CFAR by a separate 3rd party provider.

From my experience, 3rd party CFAR policies refund cash, but at a 50% to 75% rate rather than the cruiseline policy of either 75% or 100% but in the form of a credit.

Fair?  Not sure I like that word. Insurance is a risk in and of itself and the terms and conditions are known prior to final purchase.

It will be interesting to see if they extend the terms of the expiration.

Keep us updated so others may learn from your experience.

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I'm assuming you're asking about CFAR that is only offered thru special negotiations by the cruiseline insurance rather than a policy that includes CFAR by a separate 3rd party provider.

In my case, yes, the credit (75%) was issued by Princess' cruise line insurance. 

I've already resigned myself to the likelihood that the credit will be unusable/worthless. And I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it until they actually announce a resolution (which they still haven't done). But when that happens, I might indeed escalate a complaint just to see if a squeaky wheel does get greased. 😉

56 minutes ago, mtwingcpa said:

And I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it until they actually announce a resolution (which they still haven't done). But when that happens, I might indeed escalate a complaint just to see if a squeaky wheel does get greased. 😉

Worth a shot 🙂

Let us know how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 7:08 AM, mtwingcpa said:

OK, they've restored the credit (without notification or comment) to my account, with its original "sail by" date of 12/31/2020. I think I'll wait a week or so to see if they reach out, and then I'll decide whether to pursue this further.

I'm not happy about the situation, but I'm not sure there is anything I can do about it. 😞

2 minutes ago, mtwingcpa said:

OK, they've restored the credit (without notification or comment) to my account, with its original "sail by" date of 12/31/2020. I think I'll wait a week or so to see if they reach out, and then I'll decide whether to pursue this further.

I'm not happy about the situation, but I'm not sure there is anything I can do about it. 😞

Thanks for the update.  My TA is going to ask again about mine, but my cruise that I have it applied to is in December so I don't think I will have an outcome to the status of mine for several months yet.  The date of my cert is 4/20 to 4/21 and as we know ships have not sailed since March so no chance of using it.  

57 minutes ago, mtwingcpa said:

Didn't Princess already cancel all sailings thru mid December?  Meaning that your certificate is basically worthless?

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Didn't Princess already cancel all sailings thru mid December?  Meaning that your certificate is basically worthless?

Yeah, with the possible exception of some cruises in and out of Australia, it looks like Princess has cancelled everything through December 15th. Even is some sailings are available in the last two weeks of the year, they won't be out of Seattle (my nearest port and the port of departure of the cancelled cruise I was booked on), and I'm unwilling to fly under the circumstances.

So, yes, if the 12/31/20 "sail by" isn't extended, the FCC is all but worthless (at least to me). 😞  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/25/2020 at 7:08 AM, mtwingcpa said:

I've finally heard from Princess regarding the disposition of my pre-covid CFAR credit issued by Princess's cruise insurance for a cruise I cancelled in Fall 2019. Said credit had an original sail by date of 12/31/2020 (and I had originally applied it to a now cancelled cruise in Fall 2020).

They have now extended the sail by date to 5/1/2022. I believe that's the same date as the credits they've issued for covid cancellations and might be more generous than I had expected in my case. Still, it remains to be seen whether I'll actually be able to use said credit. 😕