BA 747 Aircraft Type Swap

klfrodo

I have a flight scheduled with BA next summer (2021) on a 747.

BA recently announced that all 747's are or soon will be retired and removed from the BA fleet.

My experience is limited in this type of situation.

When should I expect for the aircraft swap to be updated in my reservation so I may ensure I try to reserve the seats I want to request?

I've already paid the seat selection fee. I'm currently on the upper deck.

(Yes, I'm aware that no seat request is a guarantee)

Thanks

Absolutely unknown.   Even when a different aircraft may be put into the system, it may only be a placeholder until things shake out.

Likely the decision will be made in terms of market demand, aircraft availability, crew availability and maintenance scheduling.  With decisions pushed out as long as reasonable, so as to allow for the best choice by the airline.

Probably a more important question you should be asking is:  "Will this flight even operate?"

Edited by FlyerTalker

17 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Probably a more important question you should be asking is:  "Will this flight even operate?"

That question has been asked internally.

My plans are flexible enough that I can handle that situation.

Appreciate the concern though.

Edited by klfrodo

In a normal world, probably BA would shut down the 747 on certain routes, one at a time, as this is how other airlines have done it. For example, if BA flies LHR-SFO, LHR-LAX, LHR-SYD and a number of other city pairs, they would normally announce that on a certain date, they would switch to another plane for LHR-SYD. Then, a month or two later, drop the 747 of LHR-SFO, etc, to allow for new planes to be received and put in service, and other fleet adjustments and re-arrangements.

But we don't live in "normal times".

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

In a normal world, probably BA would shut down the 747 on certain routes, one at a time, as this is how other airlines have done it. For example, if BA flies LHR-SFO, LHR-LAX, LHR-SYD and a number of other city pairs, they would normally announce that on a certain date, they would switch to another plane for LHR-SYD. Then, a month or two later, drop the 747 of LHR-SFO, etc, to allow for new planes to be received and put in service, and other fleet adjustments and re-arrangements.

But we don't live in "normal times".

Yes, BA's "plan" was to phase out the 747 by 2024. However,,,,,,, this new normal has thrown all previous plans out the window.

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

Isn't this something the OP can keep checking online for and set up notifications with the carrier when changes are made?

Yes, I can keep checking on line.

With the vast amount of knowledge this forum has in the air travel industry, I was thinking (hoping) someone might had read an article that I have missed that announced BA's plans as to which aircraft would replace a 47 on which route. Or, maybe even an announcement on which routes would be phased out.

On 8/1/2020 at 11:46 AM, slidergirl said:

If you don't already use the flyertalk.com forum for BA, I suggest you do so.  The posters on flyertalk have a huge wealth of knowledge and information.  

As usual, you were correct Slidergirl.

There is a link dedicated to this topic. One of the posts actually copied and pasted something that shows what aircraft is switching with and on what routes. Of course these are subject to some change is time approaches.

My question to them was will BA notify me of aircraft change since I already have my seats selected? The answer was most likely not. This is something I need to stay on top of.

• Like 1

Read the article on flyer talk but on the BA site they are still selling tix for the 747 non stop from San Diego in May2021. I am sure the plane won't be flying and we don't even know if they keep that route at all. One more issue in the virus ridden world!

I would wager that the feeling at BA, and many other carriers, is that there are far higher priorities than changing the GDS listing for the aircraft type from SAN to LHR.

I would further wager that your itinerary will get changed to SAN-LAX on an AA shuttle, with the LAX-LHR leg being a 50-50 toss-up between BA or AA metal (since AA is still doing two daily LAX-LHR now).

14 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I would wager that the feeling at BA, and many other carriers, is that there are far higher priorities than changing the GDS listing for the aircraft type from SAN to LHR.

I would further wager that your itinerary will get changed to SAN-LAX on an AA shuttle, with the LAX-LHR leg being a 50-50 toss-up between BA or AA metal (since AA is still doing two daily LAX-LHR now).

You are probably right sooo I am inclined to change to a short hop to Phoenix and then non stop from there to LHR on American. I hate LAX

Edited by riffatsea

4 hours ago, riffatsea said:

You are probably right sooo I am inclined to change to a short hop to Phoenix and then non stop from there to LHR on American. I hate LAX

Why do you think that PHX-LHR will be reinstated?  (You do know that there is no non-stop now?)

Not quite sure why the LAX dislike, especially for connections.  Yes, it's a hassle when you factor in the ground transport considerations, but AA has a decent connection setup at LAX now.

16 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Why do you think that PHX-LHR will be reinstated?  (You do know that there is no non-stop now?)

Not quite sure why the LAX dislike, especially for connections.  Yes, it's a hassle when you factor in the ground transport considerations, but AA has a decent connection setup at LAX now.

AAnewsroom dated July31 shown in another thread on this page shows AA non stops to LHR resume winter2020. For May 2021 both the AA web site and EZAir for Princess shows this flight available for purchase. It looks great getting into LHR at 9:30 in the morning

I do not see any airline flying four engine passenger jets in 2021;  they are just too expensive to operate anymore.  So most likely you will get a replacement aircraft for your flight.  If you are in upper deck;  BA will reassign your seat once they decide on what type aircraft will fly your route.

9 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I do not see any airline flying four engine passenger jets in 2021;  they are just too expensive to operate anymore.  So most likely you will get a replacement aircraft for your flight.  If you are in upper deck;  BA will reassign your seat once they decide on what type aircraft will fly your route.

Lufthansa are currently flying both A340-300s and Boeing 747-8s. Emirates and China Southern (and possibly others) have already restarted A380 operations.

Just because BA (and Qantas) are retiring their B747-400s, doesn't mean all other airlines follow along. BA does indeed not have any other quadjets, but claiming "I do not see any airline flying four engine passenger jets in 2021;  they are just too expensive to operate anymore" is outright wrong, even based on the status as of today.

A big portion of most flights at the moment is cargo; not passengers, but the claim is still wrong.

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I do not see any airline flying four engine passenger jets in 2021;  they are just too expensive to operate anymore.

Etihad will continue operations of its 380s, and Emirates is ramping up 380 service after temporarily pulling them.  Korean is keeping theirs as well.

Let me clarify my comment so we don't get into a argument.  I do not see any US carrier flying a four engine passenger jet in 2021.  There may be a few int'l carriers who follow suit.  I still believe it is not as profitable to fly four engine passenger jet verses twin engine.  Are any of the above airline companies mentioned not government subsidized?

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Let me clarify my comment so we don't get into a argument.  I do not see any US carrier flying a four engine passenger jet in 2021.

Well, considering that Delta retired their last 747 in December of 2017, United in November of 2017 and American in 1984, that's a non-brainer.  They haven't operated them in years, and unlikely to bring them back.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Are any of the above airline companies mentioned not government subsidized?

British Airways, Lufthansa, Korean, Asiana along with Swiss, Hi Fly and SAS which operate A340s.

11 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I do not see any US carrier flying a four engine passenger jet in 2021.

That's quite a different claim from your first comment.

And as @FlyerTalker wrote, no US carriers have used quadjets for years - why would they bring them back?

I don't think any passenger quadjets are even currently taking/receiving new orders. A380 production is scheduled to stop in a few years, as is 747-8 passenger aircraft production (I suppose they will continue to produce 747-8Fs, if any orders are received). A340s haven't been produced since 2011.

I do agree, though, that most airlines are currently putting their money on "future proof" twinjets over quadjets; Boeing 787, Boeing 777X, Airbus A350 and A330(neo). I guess, for smaller passenger load needs, the 737MAX could be included as well. But saying that we will not see quadjets for passenger flights again, is not true. They're already in the skies again after the COVID "shutdown".

I have no need for arguing back and forth, I just wanted to say that your original claim wasn't true.

Edited by mikkelhansen