Are there any countries open for us to sail to?

7 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Not from the US. If you're American, you're not going anywhere for a bit. Once Covid settles down, doors will open to us again. I hope.

And since "Americans" can't travel to some countries so then they can't cruise. I think it's good. Perfect actually.

That was an interesting article, thanks, and applies to us Brits as well - quite a few countries don't want us at the minute, either.

Probably does us all good - we have been rather used to assuming that we can go pretty much anywhere we want, so maybe we will appreciate it a lot more in future (not just cruising - leisure travel in general).

• Like 1

This is a great site! Thanks SO much.
 https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

This site is updated regularly and shows each and every country and its travel restrictions.

You can even receive alerts for the countries of your choice.

Right now Mexico, Nicaragua, Ecuador, some Caribbean Islands, Maldives, Slovenia, Serbia, Belarus, Ukraine and a few other countries welcome tourists!

Don't worry, be happy!

1 minute ago, drsel said:

Right now Mexico, Nicaragua, Ecuador, some Caribbean Islands, Maldives, Slovenia, Serbia, Belarus, Ukraine and a few other countries welcome tourists!

You mean American tourists, right?

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

Don't worry, be happy!

The bottom of my list of things to worry about is intl. travel. I'm hopeful for late 2021.

Lets be clear that no port, anywhere, is currently accepting international cruises.  A few (i.e. Germany and Taiwan) are allowing some limited cruises of only their own nationals that either are cruises to nowhere or can go to a few ports within their own countries.  When will this change?  Nobody truly knows although there is a lot of speculation.

As to countries that are still "welcoming" Americans they often have requirements such as current Covid-19 tests and/or self-quarantines. 

Perhaps the big question is whether this situation will change anytime soon.  To that I would ask a simple question...what do you think will change regarding COVID-19 in the next 1 or 2 years?

Hank

Perhaps the big question is whether this situation will change anytime soon.  To that I would ask a simple question...what do you think will change regarding COVID-19 in the next 1 or 2 years?

Hank

I would say two things. Herd immunity that is gained by vaccines that enough people take to get populations to a state of herd immunity and treatments for those who do get serious Covid symptoms that save them from debilitating illness and death. Probably the situation won’t change until 2021-2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Many countries are suffering because of this pandemic.
Let us not criticize any country.
All this will pass in time just like the Spanish flu, World war 1, World war 2, the Great depression, 9/11 and the global financial crisis.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drsel said:

All this will pass in time just like the Spanish flu, World war 1, World war 2, the Great depression, 9/11 and the global financial crisis.

But how many of us will still be around when that happens to enjoy the new world?

Edited by VMax1700

21 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

But how many of us will still be around when that happens to enjoy the new world?

Ireland according to Google has registered about 1,700 COVID deaths.  Assume no more than 300 more or 2,000.  That suggests to me that  almost all Irish citizens will see this new world as 2,000/4,900,000 = .00408% of the your population will lose their life to COVID.

Edited by SelectSys

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Ireland according to Google has registered about 1,700 COVID deaths.  Assume no more than 300 more or 2,000.  That suggests to me that  almost all Irish citizens will see this new world as 2,000/4,900,000 = .00408% of the your population will lose their life to COVID.

You are overlooking the age of most HAL cruisers who would be 60's, 70's or more.  Natural factors come into play much more than Covid.  Also road accidents etc.  

So, a lot of us don't exactly have a lot of time left to let it pass "just like the Spanish flu, World war 1, World war 2, the Great depression, 9/11 and the global financial crisis".

26 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

You are overlooking the age of most HAL cruisers who would be 60's, 70's or more.  Natural factors come into play much more than Covid.  Also road accidents etc.  

So, a lot of us don't exactly have a lot of time left to let it pass "just like the Spanish flu, World war 1, World war 2, the Great depression, 9/11 and the global financial crisis".

You are correct and I agree it is the other factors more than COVID directly which determines who and what we will see going forward.  As someone in their early 60's, this pause on "normal" life has made me revisit whether or not I am spending my time wisely.  Clearly the older one gets, the more valuable time becomes and the less valuable physical belongings matter as time is the only thing that cannot be replaced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Over 99.9 % of the world will survive to see the new world.

Perhaps the better question would be will 99.9% of the world be satisfied with the new world?  The cruise world is going to change and the mass market sector of the cruise world will change forever.  COVID-19, besides its own issues, has forced the industry, ports and passengers to finally face up to the reality of cruise ships.  Pack a lot of souls into a confined space for an extended period of time and it does become a petri dish for anything bacterial or viral.   Those of us who have cruised a lot and for a long time have always known that cruises meant higher risk for Noro, flu, URIs. etc.  But it was a risk most of us willingly would take because we loved to cruise and travel.  But now, I do not think the world is going to accept ships with those issues.  Ports will use the COVID-19 as a convenient excuse to ban or limit ships.  The anti-cruise crowd (found in nearly every port region) now have a lot of ammunition to push forward their demands of limited or no cruise ships.  

When I look at my crystal ball I see the luxury cruise market (with smaller ships) doing fine once this COVID scare passes.  But those huge mass market ships will never be quite the same.  And other then the Caribbean those huge ships are going to deal with lots of resistance to their return to many ports.  As to the Caribbean, the huge ships have already ruined some of the islands and severely damaged others.  Those islands will likely welcome the ships because they have no viable short term alternative.  To put this in perspective, I am old enough to remember when St Thomas was a very popular vacation destination.  Now, most folks that know will not even be dragged to that island which has been nearly ruined (and overrun) by cruise ship passengers.  St Maarten was quickly heading down that same road (we have rented Condos on St Maarten) and it will be interesting if they now reverse course with cruise ships which have made Phillipsburg a place to avoid (on weekdays) for those who stay and live on the island.

I have long had an internal battle over the cruise industry. DW and I love to cruise (we have literally spent years on cruise ships all over the world) but we also love to spend time on land trips (usually self-drive or independent).  While we continue to love cruising we have also seen how too many ships/cruisers can ruin a port and region.  We live in a cruise port for part of the year and actually find it much more enjoyable when there are no ships in the port.   On the other hand, we have visited that same port on some cruises and also enjoyed it :).  

Hank

Hank

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps the better question would be will 99.9% of the world be satisfied with the new world?  The cruise world is going to change and the mass market sector of the cruise world will change forever.  COVID-19, besides its own issues, has forced the industry, ports and passengers to finally face up to the reality of cruise ships.  Pack a lot of souls into a confined space for an extended period of time and it does become a petri dish for anything bacterial or viral.   Those of us who have cruised a lot and for a long time have always known that cruises meant higher risk for Noro, flu, URIs. etc.  But it was a risk most of us willingly would take because we loved to cruise and travel.  But now, I do not think the world is going to accept ships with those issues.  Ports will use the COVID-19 as a convenient excuse to ban or limit ships.  The anti-cruise crowd (found in nearly every port region) now have a lot of ammunition to push forward their demands of limited or no cruise ships.  

When I look at my crystal ball I see the luxury cruise market (with smaller ships) doing fine once this COVID scare passes.  But those huge mass market ships will never be quite the same.  And other then the Caribbean those huge ships are going to deal with lots of resistance to their return to many ports.  As to the Caribbean, the huge ships have already ruined some of the islands and severely damaged others.  Those islands will likely welcome the ships because they have no viable short term alternative.  To put this in perspective, I am old enough to remember when St Thomas was a very popular vacation destination.  Now, most folks that know will not even be dragged to that island which has been nearly ruined (and overrun) by cruise ship passengers.  St Maarten was quickly heading down that same road (we have rented Condos on St Maarten) and it will be interesting if they now reverse course with cruise ships which have made Phillipsburg a place to avoid (on weekdays) for those who stay and live on the island.

Well said. Although I do wonder if the majority of people accept the "reality" of what is being forced on the industry. Cruising has happened for 60 years. Now an outbreak of a virus that kills less than .5% of people, mostly those with a comorbidity, is a massive turning point. No need for anyone to immediately fire back with numbers, articles, or proving your point. Really just think about that for a minute.

When people hear Norovirus, many will immediately associate that with cruise ships. Why? It's because that what is dominated in the media. In the US, a person as a 1 in 15 chance of getting noro each year. On a cruise ship, those odds are 1 in 5500. How many people understand this? The point being is that things aren't exclusive to cruising. If anything, this whole frenzy is only going to make cruising safer as they take a second look into sanitation, contact, recirculated air, capacity, and on and on. It's always a good thing to find ways to get better. It's a terrible thing to live in irrational fear.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Well said. Although I do wonder if the majority of people accept the "reality" of what is being forced on the industry. Cruising has happened for 60 years. Now an outbreak of a virus that kills less than .5% of people, mostly those with a comorbidity, is a massive turning point. No need for anyone to immediately fire back with numbers, articles, or proving your point. Really just think about that for a minute.

When people hear Norovirus, many will immediately associate that with cruise ships. Why? It's because that what is dominated in the media. In the US, a person as a 1 in 15 chance of getting noro each year. On a cruise ship, those odds are 1 in 5500. How many people understand this? The point being is that things aren't exclusive to cruising. If anything, this whole frenzy is only going to make cruising safer as they take a second look into sanitation, contact, recirculated air, capacity, and on and on. It's always a good thing to find ways to get better. It's a terrible thing to live in irrational fear.

The reality I think of is two weeks quarantined on a ship if one dummy who doesn't care he might be infected comes on board and spreads it among passengers and crew. The reality I think of is a ship like the Ruby Princess docking in my country and starting an outbreak like happened in Australia.  The reality I think of is self-indulgent travellers who have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement visiting foreign countries with no concern whether they leave the virus behind to kill people. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

I saw last night on Telemundo's news about a festival style concert  in Colorado - totally insane!.  The story is in Spanish, but the images are fairly clear:

Do you know where & when in Colorado the concert was held? I can't find anything on Google. I live in Denver and have heard nothing on the local news.

22 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Do you know where & when in Colorado the concert was held? I can't find anything on Google. I live in Denver and have heard nothing on the local news.

Weld County.  I looked again and found these references in the English language news:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/thousands-of-people-defy-public-health-orders-pack-into-a-field-in-weld-county-for-an-outdoor-concert

https://www.cpr.org/2020/07/28/weld-county-rodeo-large-events-in-colorado-during-coronavirus-pandemic/