Americans not allowed in most countries/islans

grest

Be patient and be positive.
Everything will work out, just give it time.
Airlines recovered after 9/11.
Japan recovered after Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

the entire world recovered after the Spanish flu, World war 1 and World war 2 as well as the Great depression and the global financial crisis.

the world will not end

• Like 9

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

Buy a few books, grab a good chair, you are not going anywhere anytime soon!

Agree.  Breaking out the knitting early this year as I’m going to have to cancel, for the second time, a trip to Iceland.  First scheduled in March, then rescheduled to beginning of September.  Fortunately, Icelandair Holidays is being very generous for anyone with a trip scheduled before 30 Sept.  Offering a 100% travel credit, including air, good for two years to be used within three years.  Good for any package, not just the one we had scheduled.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Because the virus has already burnt out in many countries and the vaccine will be available in a few months

I’m sorry, but you are reporting incorrect information.  It has not “burnt out” and no one has said that a vaccine will be available “in a few months”.  

• Like 2

I’m sorry, but you are reporting incorrect information.  It has not “burnt out” and no one has said that a vaccine will be available “in a few months”.  

See covid-19 pandemic by country and territory on Wikipedia.

See the huge pink areas on the world map, whether the Covid-19 cases are 0.03% to 0.10 % of the population

• Like 1

Russia claims to have completed all the clinical trials of the world's first covid vaccine and is planning to launch it as soon as next month

Oxford AstraZeneca announced that they will launch their vaccine in 3 months

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

Russia claims to have completed all the clinical trials of the world's first covid vaccine and is planning to launch it as soon as next month

We’ll, I’ll just be jumping in line for that one.  What could go wrong?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, drsel said:

See covid-19 pandemic by country and territory on Wikipedia.

See the huge pink areas on the world map, whether the Covid-19 cases are 0.03% to 0.10 % of the population

SMH 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, drsel said:

Oxford AstraZeneca announced that they will launch their vaccine in 3 months

Maybe you would prefer to wait for this one instead!

IF the phase 3 trials are successful.

Assuming it is, there will not be enough vaccines for everyone when they launch.  Vaccines will be prioritized (ie health care workers).  It will be some time for it to be available world wide for everyone.

• Like 3

That also assumes that one will be comfortable taking the first vaccine that is available without waiting post vaccine to determine if there are issues with it.   Many health professionals are on this page-my spouse included.

If I had health challenges or had multiple medications I certainly would not want to be first in line to get the first vaccine out of the shop.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, drsel said:

There are at least nine countries in the world that have successfully controlled COVID-19 so far. These include New Zealand, Iceland, Tanzania, Fiji, Montenegro, Vatican City, Seychelles, Mauritius, and Papua New Guinea

And how welcoming do you think that they will be to cruise passengers, absent a vaccine or treatment?  It isn't that the virus has burned itself out in those countries, these countries clamped down early.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, drsel said:

The stock market doesn't seem to think so.

See the stock prices of Tesla Facebook Amazon Apple Microsoft and Google

The only reason the stock market is appearing to thrive is thanks to the  Federal Reserve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And how welcoming do you think that they will be to cruise passengers, absent a vaccine or treatment?  It isn't that the virus has burned itself out in those countries, these countries clamped down early.          

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

This site is updated regularly and shows each and every country and its travel restrictions.

You can even receive alerts for the countries of your choice.

Right now Mexico, Nicaragua, Ecuador, some Caribbean Islands, Maldives, Slovenia, Serbia, Belarus, Ukraine and a few other countries welcome Americans!

Don't worry, be happy!

• Like 1

My good friend, Dr. Google, can't find a single country that regards COVID as "burnt out."  My friend does say that parents, medical professionals, other workers, and the rest of us are "burnt out" from having to deal with the stress and pain caused by COVID.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, drsel said:

There are at least nine countries in the world that have successfully controlled COVID-19 so far. These include New Zealand, Iceland, Tanzania, Fiji, Montenegro, Vatican City, Seychelles, Mauritius, and Papua New Guinea

Most of which are islands, that have been successful because they have very tightly locked down on travelers.  That leaves  Tanzania, Montenegro and Vatican City as non-island based areas.  

Considering the lack of reporting in many parts of Africa not sure how much I trust the Tanzania numbers.

Montenegro went for a stretch with no reported cases but that has recently changed and the government has put more controls in place

https://www.oecd.org/south-east-europe/COVID-19-Crisis-in-Montenegro.pdf

Between 24 May and 18 June, there had been no active cases of COVID-19 recorded in Montenegro. However, around 145 new active cases were detected on 11 July, the highest since the beginning of the pandemic. As of 20 July, there are 284 active cases per 100 000 people, consequently, the Government reintroduced a number of restrictions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. • As of 21 July, it is mandatory to use protective masks indoors and outdoors in the entire territory. The gathering of people is limited to a maximum of 40 persons in outdoor public places, and to 20 persons in closed public places, with the obligation to maintain a physical distance of at least two meters.

So the lesson seems to be if you want to stop COVID-19 lock down travel and do not let people in.  Pretty easy for island countries.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, drsel said:

The stock market doesn't seem to think so.

See the stock prices of Tesla Facebook Amazon Apple Microsoft and Google

Lately the stock market is following that saying that the price of gas has nothing to do with the price of oil. Stock analysts are guessing at best.

8 hours ago, grest said:

with this being the case, will ships sail from US ports anytime soon?

Not only will they NOT sail from US ports, even those that start in places like Europe or Far East, no US people will be allowed to fly internationally so it's academic.  The US has totally bungled the whole Pandemic with denial, ignoring science and turning American on American.

Cases look at it crazy, now deaths starting to climb and will continue to climb for another 4 - 6 weeks.   

Everybody believe a vaccine is just around the corner, believe me science is hard at work at vaccine, but if you do a little research high efficacy vaccine with low risk / downside are rarer than a unicorn.  Sadly the wish for a vaccine will push the first one to the mass production likely leaving behind work / resources for what would be a real vaccine with low downside.  The first is rarely if ever the best, but that is what we'll get.  

The whole country will need to get locked down, or learn to be like Taiwan/Germany/So Korea, rally as a country, follow-rules, and make a little self sacrifice, how likely is that?

91-DIVOC-countries-UnitedStates.png

91-DIVOC-countries-UnitedStates (1).png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Don't worry, be happy!

I'm not an American, and I'm concerned about the 60k currently in hospitals. The thousand Americans dying every day, and the many thousands suffering serious impairment.

Of course, I'm dumb. So, I have to ask the question. Would it not be easier for your country to squash the disease in the next two months. Life slowly returns to normal. Cruising resumes in Florida by Christmas!

Aloha, Tahiti!

Am I missing something here???

COVID Tracking USA hospitalizations July 26.JPG

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

Many of the countries which weathered the first wave are now experiencing a second spike/wave and are starting targeted lock downs again. Australia/Montenegro/Spain/Germany etc. As the US has not even defeated the first wave  - the future does not look bright. I think it will be late 2021 early 22 before cruising restarts in a serious way and there may not be many cruise lines left by then!

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yippee, we're done, folks, Russia came to the rescue..

6 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Buy a few books, grab a good chair, you are not going anywhere anytime soon!

I'm already going through cruise withdrawl and can't stand to be on land anymore (it's been 14 months since my last cruise).  And this heat in Ontario - I hate it.  How I wish I knew someone with a small boat....  If Canada eases the travel restrictions I'm going to book a Hurtigruten cruise to see the Northern Lights in Norway asap.  Waaaaaaaaah.

• Like 1