Please stop the Suite/Tier Negativity

I like to cruise in suites because that's how I choose to spend MY money, no one else's money.  We don't drink or gamble,  and plan at least 1 year in advance so we can make payments.   It's nobody's business but yours.  Enjoy your cruise and have fun.   Our next cruise is in a crown loft suite and we are so excited!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We have this discussion every time we plan a cruise. I am at the point where an interior would do me just fine,  but my wife would rather have a balcony, or at least an ocean view. I try to make her happy. We cannot afford a suite, but that is ok and I will not begrudge anyone who can afford it. In the end we are all going to the same ports, strolling the same halls, watching the same shows, and drinking in the same bars. We can take more trips by staying in the steerage (I think someone called it) since we don't spend that much time on the room anyway. I liked having the balcony when I could enjoy a cigar or pipe there, but that luxury is gone so it is not that big a deal to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hloakes said:

8 minutes ago, hloakes said:

We cannot afford a suite, but that is ok and I will not begrudge anyone who can afford it. In the end we are all going to the same ports, strolling the same halls, watching the same shows, and drinking in the same bars. We can take more trips by staying in the steerage (I think someone called it) since we don't spend that much time on the room anyway. I liked having the balcony when I could enjoy a cigar or pipe there, but that luxury is gone so it is not that big a deal to me.

Same here!  We would rather spend less on a cruise but cruise more often.  I don't smoke but like to sit on the balcony in the afternoon with a nice glass of cabernet.  Hey, if you happy spending for a suite, go for it!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, peanut head said:

I am relatively new to CC and have only been cruising for a couple of years.  What I find disturbing on this site is that many times when someone asks a question or posts a comment regarding their higher level loyalty status or stateroom/suite others feel it necessary to post disparaging remarks.  If a cruiser has spent, or is spending, their hard earned money to enjoy their time at sea in whatever capacity they choose, and are not hurting anyone else, then why be snarky to that person?  It seems to me that many times the biggest "snobs and elitists" are not those in D/D+/Pinnacle categories and/or Star Class Suites, but those who are not.  As we have learned from an early age, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

I've been around a while. In my experience, the snarkiness involving upper loyalties and suites often can be attributed to turf wars and crowding. Mainly in the happy hour lounges, but also for show seats and boarding/departure slots.

And then to top that off Royal created the Key and started selling some of those perks in a pkg. And then it was Roysl UP for upgrades. Once again taking away perks that used to go to C&A royalty and making folks pay.

Its just sour grapes to feel you've lost something that you feel you earned. Gotta blame somebody.

But at the end of the day, you don't see a lot of that behavior onboard.

Stay safe

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very new to cruising by board standards having only it done twice.  I find the information here very valuable.  We choose a mid level balcony room but always fly first class and stay a night before and after in a very nice hotel.  We might do a suite next (are actually booked in a junior suite for our next one if it goes).  Everyone has a right to decide what is important to them in a vacation.

I just don’t open a thread about the Diamond lounge or all that.  If I can’t eat at Coastal Kitchen, I know I can pay a bunch of money to do so and do not see the value.  My new to cruising brother?  He does the suite thing always.

• Like 1

At the end of the day it's an Internet forum, and you will always get some clashes and friction points. I'm a lowly gold with RCI, but I'm really at the start of my Cruising journey, so I'm not (at this stage) overly fussed about status. But I think I tend to see more negative comments on the Upper tier behaviours from those in higher tiers. If that makes sense? I think it may be because RCI has so many tiers already, that it allows for a little more grouping of people, and I'm sure some people who have done maybe 150 nights in Diamond, feel that they deserve just as much as someone who has done 190 nights in Diamond Plus. And the lines start to blur further up? If that makes sense?

I have no problem with the voice of experience, and seeing what things are like for the higher ups. I'm not completely Loyal2Royal at this stage, so not sure the heady heights of Pinnacle are where I'm headed. But I like loyalty schemes, and will move mountains to maintain my British Airways status for example, so definitely enjoy reading about them and peoples experiences on here.

We aren't regular cruisers,we did our first about 10 years ago,having shared advice so often on Trip Advisor previously it seemed natural to post on CC to ask for advice on our first cruise,how wrong can you be,after initially just being ignored I was eventually told in no uncertain terms that this was not the place to ask travel advice,this was where experienced cruisers talked about how many cruises they had done & their loyalty schemes.

It was some time before we cruised again but when we did I ventured back on to CC tentatively,it has improved but we are all different,have different experiences & opinions,I'm never surprised when posters are less than helpful or even downright rude!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, klfrodo said:

and some of the moderators are just as bad.

It's very easy to determine what they "allow" vs. what they like or dislike.

I so wish Bob was still here. He was helpful and unbiased.

I miss Bob a lot!!!  He was so helpful and kind!!!  

• Like 4

I never start my post with the words - I'm diamond and than ask a question, or I'm in a suite, does the buffet serve chicken.  I just think often times the snarkiness comes because people feel the need to say they are diamond, when the question does not matter if they are or not.  Then the question seems to be like a question, if they are a diamond, should they not know the answer?  It's really how you ask a question and whether you status, or room type is related to the question.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I prefer a teflon suit compared to one made of asbestos. 

All internet forums have input from all sorts of people.  CC has input from all kinds of people.   The "ignore user" feature on these boards is very useful for eliminating those posters who you find you don't need or want to hear from.  It doesn't take long to know who they are.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this way you can filter out those you don't need to see.  

Sometimes though even opinions or an approach different than your own might have some merit and valid points to consider even if you don't agree with all of it.  Sometimes it's fun reading the rants and wild tangents that spin a thread off subject.  Free entertainment. 

No need to take anything personally, the internet brings out the worst of some people that might otherwise make good friends. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

...mentioning being Diamond or whatever really doesn't matter,probably annoys some more than anything else.

This baffles me. Someone can say they are Pinnacle all day long, who cares.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, molly361 said:

Retired and living in Florida- he is doing well.  Heard from him a few days ago

Tell him I said hi too and that there are many that miss his expertise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snaefell said:

We aren't regular cruisers,we did our first about 10 years ago,having shared advice so often on Trip Advisor previously it seemed natural to post on CC to ask for advice on our first cruise,how wrong can you be,after initially just being ignored I was eventually told in no uncertain terms that this was not the place to ask travel advice,this was where experienced cruisers talked about how many cruises they had done & their loyalty schemes.

It was some time before we cruised again but when we did I ventured back on to CC tentatively,it has improved but we are all different,have different experiences & opinions,I'm never surprised when posters are less than helpful or even downright rude!

Um, okay, who told you that?  It's not true and never has been .  I've been on this board 15 years and I have never seen anyone post what you stated.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Tell him I said hi too and that there are many that miss his expertise.

He was actually quite good as searching this board for information.  He did know a lot, but he also posted a lot of links to threads.  

5 hours ago, snaefell said:

I also found CC via Trip Advisor many years ago. For the longest time, I didn't even register as a CC member which allowed me to read the forums but not post.  I think the biggest difference between the two forums is that Trip Advisor tends to be more informative - people posting questions and getting their answers with very little thread hijacking. Members can even be ranked on how helpful they are. CC tends to be more "social" with various clique's of members - some posting valuable  information or insider tricks while others engage in a group text chat about good old days.  Nothing wrong with the latter but you don't see much of that on TripAdvisor.  Much more threadjacking here on CC. There can also be a certain "pack mentality" if someone's favorite ship / cruise line / member is criticized (fairly or not)  which seems to also be absent from TA. IMO.

Perfect example, topic of masks. Checking into Aruba's masks requirements on Trip Advisor, people posted their observations and that the local rules are. All were cordial and respectful of each other.  Post the same topic here and the conversation will quickly degrade into name calling and political debate and the thread will eventually be deleted.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I prefer a teflon suit compared to one made of asbestos. 

All internet forums have input from all sorts of people.  CC has input from all kinds of people.   The "ignore user" feature on these boards is very useful for eliminating those posters who you find you don't need or want to hear from.  It doesn't take long to know who they are.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this way you can filter out those you don't need to see.  

Sometimes though even opinions or an approach different than your own might have some merit and valid points to consider even if you don't agree with all of it.  Sometimes it's fun reading the rants and wild tangents that spin a thread off subject.  Free entertainment. 

No need to take anything personally, the internet brings out the worst of some people that might otherwise make good friends. 

I think that is what keeps being me back to CC. 😄

And agree on the "don't take anything personally", especially when you don't know the person.  I'm sure even the people that bicker constantly on these boards would get along just fine in real life.

• Like 4