Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

14 minutes ago, eileen5412 said:

I just looked at the Facebook page for Albergo del Senato (I believe that is the hotel you were looking to book).  Could you please tell me where you found a discount code?

I've found discount codes and special rates on the hotel's own website in the past.

Hi all. :)

I've just starting researching our options for a 2-night pre-cruise stay in Rome next May. 

I've read right through the thread and there are lots of interesting and helpful suggestions but I'm especially interested in finding somewhere reasonably priced (trying to keep it around €350 or less for the two nights) and in easy walking distance from the Colosseum.

I like the look of the Lancelot, which has been mentioned a couple of times in the thread but it's pushing our budget a little bit, so I was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar that may be just a tad cheaper?

19 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Hi all. 🙂

I've just starting researching our options for a 2-night pre-cruise stay in Rome next May. 

I've read right through the thread and there are lots of interesting and helpful suggestions but I'm especially interested in finding somewhere reasonably priced (trying to keep it around €350 or less for the two nights) and in easy walking distance from the Colosseum.

I like the look of the Lancelot, which has been mentioned a couple of times in the thread but it's pushing our budget a little bit, so I was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar that may be just a tad cheaper?

Not an expert like CM, but neighbours stayed at Tree Charme and could not fault it for the price e paid. In fact they returned twice.  Could be worth a look.

26 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Not an expert like CM, but neighbours stayed at Tree Charme and could not fault it for the price e paid. In fact they returned twice.  Could be worth a look.

Additional 

They booked direct with the hotel and got a good deal.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Thanks. I'll check it out. :)

5 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Have a look at Hotel Nerva. I stayed there a few years ago before their last major renovation (for 10 days!) and loved the location and the friendly family-operated atmosphere. It is very close to the Colosseum and Forums and the Colosseo metro stop is also quite near. 

The only problem is that they have continued to improve the place and now the prices are creeping up -- but if you are going off-season or can get a good deal on their website, it is worth considering. (The breakfasts are very good also -- not quite a full "American style" but better than many Italian hotels offer.)

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Have a look at Hotel Nerva. I stayed there a few years ago before their last major renovation (for 10 days!) and loved the location and the friendly family-operated atmosphere. It is very close to the Colosseum and Forums and the Colosseo metro stop is also quite near. 

The only problem is that they have continued to improve the place and now the prices are creeping up -- but if you are going off-season or can get a good deal on their website, it is worth considering. (The breakfasts are very good also -- not quite a full "American style" but better than many Italian hotels offer.)

Thanks. I'll take a look. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, FionaMG said:

Hi all. 🙂

Just spent two nights each pre and post cruise in Rome. We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo and I will book them again when we ever get back. The first two nights were in a standard room for about 95 euro/night and the last two were around 120/night. The location is fabulous. It is almost exactly in between the Colliseum and Vatican City. Around a 20 minute walk to both. A five minute walk to Piazzo Navona and about a 10 minute walk to the Pantheon. 

In addition, the owners are super friendly, it is very well kept and free breakfast to boot. Highly recommend it.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Never been to Italy, so we need your help! Going in May of 2022. We'll have 2 days to spend in Rome before our cruise. For sure we want to see the Coliseum, but what else do you suggest? Also, where should we stay?! We'd like to be within walking distance of the C and wtvr else is suggested. I'd like to stay under $200 a night, however I understand if that is not doable.

Thanks in advance!! All help is greatly appreciated!!!

5 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

Never been to Italy, so we need your help! Going in May of 2022. We'll have 2 days to spend in Rome before our cruise. For sure we want to see the Coliseum, but what else do you suggest? Also, where should we stay?! We'd like to be within walking distance of the C and wtvr else is suggested. I'd like to stay under $200 a night, however I understand if that is not doable.

Have you read the pages of this thread? There are many great suggestions and ideas. In October 2018, we did a Mediterranean itinerary and began in Rome. We had never been to Europe and stayed in Rome 3 nights, barely "scratching the surface". We toured the Colosseum and the Forum and Palatine Hill were included. Our guide was fabulous. We did an "Early Entry" tour at the Vatican (go early as you get time that is not so crowded). We also walked to the Trevi Fountain and did a walking Twilight Food tour in the Trastevere area. We could walk everywhere (except took a cab to the Vatican early in the morning).

I would strongly suggest a minimum of three nights. We stayed at Hotel Damaso and the location was very central to where we walked. It will be more than $200.00 per night. I looked at a mock booking for May 17th for two nights and the least expensive is $474.85 for two nights for a Classic Double and that is if you pay in full at the time of booking. We never pay in full at booking, but book the higher rate.

Italy is wonderful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nini said:

Have you read the pages of this thread? There are many great suggestions and ideas. In October 2018, we did a Mediterranean itinerary and began in Rome. We had never been to Europe and stayed in Rome 3 nights, barely "scratching the surface". We toured the Colosseum and the Forum and Palatine Hill were included. Our guide was fabulous. We did an "Early Entry" tour at the Vatican (go early as you get time that is not so crowded). We also walked to the Trevi Fountain and did a walking Twilight Food tour in the Trastevere area. We could walk everywhere (except took a cab to the Vatican early in the morning).

I would strongly suggest a minimum of three nights. We stayed at Hotel Damaso and the location was very central to where we walked. It will be more than $200.00 per night. I looked at a mock booking for May 17th for two nights and the least expensive is $474.85 for two nights for a Classic Double and that is if you pay in full at the time of booking. We never pay in full at booking, but book the higher rate.

Italy is wonderful.

I did look and got overwhelmed, there were so many suggestions for different areas, hence my more specific question as to where to stay within a budget. I appreciate the info that you provided, I'll take a look at those! Unfortunately, we only have 2 days to spend in Rome, so we want to do the most that we can, hopefully things that are close by. I have no clue as to the Zones or Areas of Rome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klfhngr said:

We were there last month for the first time. We stayed at Hotel Smeraldo and I would highly recommend it. We checked in around 10 AM as our room was ready. Free full breakfast buffet in the morning and about a 20 minute walk to both Vatican City and the Colosseum area. It also about a five minute walk to Piazza Navona, which is a max ten minute walk from there to Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon. They will also store your luggage if your room isn't ready yet.

Our rate was around $150/night for a standard room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zdcatc12 said:

We were there last month for the first time. We stayed at Hotel Smeraldo and I would highly recommend it. We checked in around 10 AM as our room was ready. Free full breakfast buffet in the morning and about a 20 minute walk to both Vatican City and the Colosseum area. It also about a five minute walk to Piazza Navona, which is a max ten minute walk from there to Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon. They will also store your luggage if your room isn't ready yet.

Yes, that is also a popular place to stay. However, I am not sure the rates would be that low in the Spring.

2 hours ago, klfhngr said:

We are going to be spending 2 nights pre-cruise in Rome in May 2022 and also wanted to be within walking distance of the Coliseum (we visited the Vatican on an earlier visit).

I trolled through the entire thread and somebody at some point mentioned the Hotel Lancelot (https://www.lancelothotel.com/). That is the one we opted for. You don't have to pay in advance, although you do have to provide credit card details to secure the room.

Shortly after we booked we received an e-mail from the owner, thanking us for our booking and providing us with some information. When I replied back to thank her, she sent me tons more information with suggestions of different websites I could check out for sightseeing. She was so responsive and helpful that it made me feel like I had definitely made the right choice. Obviously, we have not stayed there yet, so do bear in mind that this is a "sight unseen" recommendation.

I just checked the price again for the same dates I booked (you didn't say what your dates are; ours are the nights of the 5th and 6th May) and the price in USD is 443.29 for the two nights in a classic double room with double bed, so it's only slightly over your budget. However, the rate does include breakfast and cancellation without penalty until 3 days before arrival.

• Like 1

Agree that staying near Piazza Navona puts you in easy walking distance to many sights

Go to Tdip Adviser and use their hotel map function to see possibilities in your price range

BTW I prefer the small DK Eyewitness city  Top 10 guide books to Rick Steve's travel guides

There's definitely one for Rome

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

We are going to be spending 2 nights pre-cruise in Rome in May 2022 and also wanted to be within walking distance of the Coliseum (we visited the Vatican on an earlier visit).

I trolled through the entire thread and somebody at some point mentioned the Hotel Lancelot (https://www.lancelothotel.com/). That is the one we opted for. You don't have to pay in advance, although you do have to provide credit card details to secure the room.

Shortly after we booked we received an e-mail from the owner, thanking us for our booking and providing us with some information. When I replied back to thank her, she sent me tons more information with suggestions of different websites I could check out for sightseeing. She was so responsive and helpful that it made me feel like I had definitely made the right choice. Obviously, we have not stayed there yet, so do bear in mind that this is a "sight unseen" recommendation.

I just checked the price again for the same dates I booked (you didn't say what your dates are; ours are the nights of the 5th and 6th May) and the price in USD is 443.29 for the two nights in a classic double room with double bed, so it's only slightly over your budget. However, the rate does include breakfast and cancellation without penalty until 3 days before arrival.

Thank you, I held a room, but still looking and learning!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, klfhngr said:

I did look and got overwhelmed, there were so many suggestions for different areas, hence my more specific question as to where to stay within a budget. I appreciate the info that you provided, I'll take a look at those! Unfortunately, we only have 2 days to spend in Rome, so we want to do the most that we can, hopefully things that are close by. I have no clue as to the Zones or Areas of Rome.

There's not a good substitute for looking at a map and doing a little research ahead of time so that when you arrive you'll have some idea of where things are located. 

To simplify, look at a map showing ONLY central Rome and locate the Pantheon (a landmark that should be on every map and should be on your itinerary). I consider the area around it to be the most central area of Rome for sightseers. A few blocks to one side of it is Piazza Navona. A few blocks to the other side of it is Trevi Fountain (another must see). The area of ancient Rome where you'll find the Roman Forum and the Colosseum is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Pantheon at a fair pace.

The only main site that would involve a longer walk than that would be the Vatican. If that is on your agenda, then  I would recommend you just get a taxi -- there is a taxi rank alongside the Pantheon building. If you're facing the front, the taxis line up along the right-hand side.

Because of the many underground ruins of ancient Rome throughout the city, the metro kind of skirts the periphery of the central area and isn't all that convenient if you stay in the center.

I did a random booking in May and it appears that both Hotel Smeraldo and Hotel Navona would be under $200 per night. Neither of these are luxurious but both are well reviewed and well located. I've stayed at Navona personally. It's a typical European small hotel in that it exists on several floors of an old building but not the ground floor. Check in is on something like floor 3. There is a small elevator. Rooms are fully renovated but small -- as are almost all hotel rooms in Rome, however nice the hotel, unless you pay for a suite. These hotels have limited numbers of rooms and will book up FAST.

• Like 4

On 10/6/2021 at 4:14 PM, zdcatc12 said:

On 10/6/2021 at 4:17 PM, nini said:

Yes, that is also a popular place to stay. However, I am not sure the rates would be that low in the Spring.

Ive been looking. It isn’t. 

I did a Med cruise a few years ago.  Four of us did a private all-day tour of Rome.

I'll be back next October for a B2B2B beginning in Civi.  At least, I hope so.  We were booked last October for the Med/TA and that was cancelled.  Booked for this month, and that was cancelled.  Hopefully 3rd time's the charm.  So I added the first leg (RT Civi).

Friends are probably going to fly in to Venice and do a few days there.  I did that last time, and since our tour in Rome just did a drive-by of the ruins (too much time spent on the religious sites for me), I'd like somewhere near the Colosseum/Forum.  I'll probably be solo, which is why I decided to look for a hotel rather than an Airbnb.

Hotel Lancelot looks very affordable for a single for 2 nights next October.  E216/$250 seems very reasonable.  It's a single room, which is fine for me.  After all, I'll be in a 150 sq ft cabin on a ship for month.

Hotel Smeraldo has only one room type available.  Looks like everything else is already booked!  Glad I'm starting to look.

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Friends are probably going to fly in to Venice and do a few days there.  I did that last time, and since our tour in Rome just did a drive-by of the ruins (too much time spent on the religious sites for me), I'd like somewhere near the Colosseum/Forum.  I'll probably be solo, which is why I decided to look for a hotel rather than an Airbnb.

Hotel Lancelot looks very affordable for a single for 2 nights next October.  E216/$250 seems very reasonable.  It's a single room, which is fine for me.  After all, I'll be in a 150 sq ft cabin on a ship for month.

Hotel Lancelot is in an excellent location if you're focused on ancient Rome. In addition to the Colosseum and the Roman Forum, don't miss the chance to visit the Baths of Caracalla -- hands down the best preserved of the Imperial baths that I've seen. You really can get an idea of what it was like, and they have a good audioguide (or a "virtual reality" headset if you want to really be immersed).

I also highly recommend a visit to the Museum of the Imperial Fora (Museo dei Fori Imperiali) -- it's not a large museum per se, but it gives you the chance to walk in Trajan's Market. Finally, if you can get tickets for one of the Domus Aurea tours, you should do that as well. Fascinating and -- and least for the English tours -- they are usually led by an archaeologist who is working on the site.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 2:49 PM, klfhngr said:

You can't go wrong to follow Cruisemom's advice, in addition to some of the solid, confirmed hotel recommendations from folks in the thread. 

Two days isn't much, but you can see a decent amount on foot if you study the map and grid it out by section, to cover some of the important sites of historic Rome. Of course what's important is different to all of us, but if you are thinking in terms of traditional landmarks and history, well, there's no shortage of them in centro historico, where you'll be, and so factoring in time for meals etc., you'd have enough time if you plan to walk in the right area for two days. 

As someone said, definitely walk through the forum as well as the colosseum, and that will take up some time. The forum may not seem appealing on the map, but it really is. So is the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps - Piazza di Spagna, some folks like to visit the Trevi Fountain, I liked Piazza del Popolo. Agree with Cruisemom about not going on foot to the Vatican on foot as that is further away and would require too much time.

Also, mind the time and day, and if you want to go inside the Vatican/Sistine Chapel, you need tickets, otherwise  you can just wander outside in St. Peter's Square, which itself is quite something, and then walk along to Castel Sant'Angelo, then cross over the Tiber to take in the views, to maybe pick up a ride back to your hotel or whatever your plans might be next depending on the time of day/night. (I personally love the view of the Castle at night, but that's just my photographic eye view).

There are small city guides (Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, etc., and yes, a favorite of community members, Rick Steves; don't bog yourself down with an entire country guide unless you're doing a land trip) with maps that are easy to follow and helpful in planning out the two day itinerary. The city is laid out in such a way that it will be convenient and easy to follow the plan once you familiarize yourself a little bit with the area around your hotel, if you've decided where you'd like to be. For a short visited, being in centro historico will maximize your available time.

Download google maps to your phone not long before you depart, you won't need wifi to work the map. Trust me, the streets of historical Rome aren't changing, you can believe everything on the maps will be where the map says it is. When you need to check if whichever gelateria is open or closed, look for a wifi signal or check before you leave the hotel that day, or, we have a thread for that. 😛. Just ask! Add the gelaterie to your reminders app and you'll be prepared. (Why take the risk??)

May is a prime travel month of course so if you are able to find a reliable place for $200 or a bit over, it's worth booking, especially if there are extras included like a breakfast or wifi or whatever it might be. At that price, in the heart of the old town, a decent room (so, 2 or 3 star, which isn't about a rating, but amenities) at that price is totally worth it in May.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do, and then once you're back, how it all went, with photos!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

You can't go wrong to follow Cruisemom's advice, in addition to some of the solid, confirmed hotel recommendations from folks in the thread. 

Two days isn't much, but you can see a decent amount on foot if you study the map and grid it out by section, to cover some of the important sites of historic Rome. Of course what's important is different to all of us, but if you are thinking in terms of traditional landmarks and history, well, there's no shortage of them in centro historico, where you'll be, and so factoring in time for meals etc., you'd have enough time if you plan to walk in the right area for two days. 

As someone said, definitely walk through the forum as well as the colosseum, and that will take up some time. The forum may not seem appealing on the map, but it really is. So is the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps - Piazza di Spagna, some folks like to visit the Trevi Fountain, I liked Piazza del Popolo. Agree with Cruisemom about not going on foot to the Vatican on foot as that is further away and would require too much time.

Also, mind the time and day, and if you want to go inside the Vatican/Sistine Chapel, you need tickets, otherwise  you can just wander outside in St. Peter's Square, which itself is quite something, and then walk along to Castel Sant'Angelo, then cross over the Tiber to take in the views, to maybe pick up a ride back to your hotel or whatever your plans might be next depending on the time of day/night. (I personally love the view of the Castle at night, but that's just my photographic eye view).

There are small city guides (Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, etc., and yes, a favorite of community members, Rick Steves; don't bog yourself down with an entire country guide unless you're doing a land trip) with maps that are easy to follow and helpful in planning out the two day itinerary. The city is laid out in such a way that it will be convenient and easy to follow the plan once you familiarize yourself a little bit with the area around your hotel, if you've decided where you'd like to be. For a short visited, being in centro historico will maximize your available time.

Download google maps to your phone not long before you depart, you won't need wifi to work the map. Trust me, the streets of historical Rome aren't changing, you can believe everything on the maps will be where the map says it is. When you need to check if whichever gelateria is open or closed, look for a wifi signal or check before you leave the hotel that day, or, we have a thread for that. 😛. Just ask! Add the gelaterie to your reminders app and you'll be prepared. (Why take the risk??)

May is a prime travel month of course so if you are able to find a reliable place for $200 or a bit over, it's worth booking, especially if there are extras included like a breakfast or wifi or whatever it might be. At that price, in the heart of the old town, a decent room (so, 2 or 3 star, which isn't about a rating, but amenities) at that price is totally worth it in May.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do, and then once you're back, how it all went, with photos!

Great info, thank you!  What is the heart if the old Town called?