For Those Who Remember Mercury...

Host Anne

18 hours ago, Host Anne said:

While you are correct that Mein Schiff 2 is a new ship (I was unaware of that), Mercury was indeed Mein Schiff 2 until last year.  I never mentioned Horizon and she was never part of TUI.  Horizon was (is) part of Pullmantur.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Horizon#:~:text=MV Horizon (formerly Pacific Dream,Celebrity Cruises as MV Horizon.

Sorry for the confusion....

Thanks Anne!  So now your usually excellent information is only 99.99 % correct on average.  Hope all is well!!😀

For those interested in reading about how the cruises work...

Germancruiser is on the second cruise which started yesterday and let´s us take part by reporting from the ship:

Edited by Miaminice

Our first X cruise was on the Mercury in 2010. Obviously we fondly remember her.  We also sailed on her last Celebrity voyage out of Baltimore. That one was sad.  They started dismantling her several days before we returned to disembark at Baltimore.

This was taken in 2010 when we were returning to where she was anchored for tendering .

image.jpeg.c56b3076401be529fd11fc3c0eda8a1b.jpeg

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks everyone for the laughs!  

Miami ~ thanks for the post.  There's so much going on these days that confusion easily sets in  😉

Lois ~ Oh My Goodness ~ so wonderful to see you post here.  Missed you and hope you are doing well.

TeeRick - stop!  You are too funny.  I try hard to be helpful.  I truly am hopeful that we can all cruise safely again.  

I was happy to read about Mein Schiff 2's recent sailing (even though she isn't the old Merc!).  I thought the protocols seemed good and made sense.  I like things that make sense.

Thanks to all for chiming in.....

While we are talking about Mercury, my favorite memory was of a Caribbean cruise and we were returning to Florida between Cuba and the Florida Keys.  It was a clear, sunny day but the seas were unusually rough.  Waves were crashing over the promenade deck (I'll  have to dig out photos....I don't think I have them digitally).  I thought it was fun (I am a bit crazy) but most people didn't.

I loved this class of ship...smaller but not too small.  Right now, I think I'd love any class of ship!

Keep sharing your favorite Mercury stories (or Galaxy/Century).

Hi Anne, good to see you as well🙂 Besides, the pandemic I have had a very funky year.  I was in the hospital

for a week back in April quite ill....thankfully I have recovered (not sick from covid) but I was  pretty sick.  I also retired

as of Dec 31st and went through radiation treatment back in February for a month.   

I was supposed to take a 5 week celebration cruise for retirement but we all know what happened with that...........

Anyway, thankfully my health is better and maybe 2021 will bring some cruises!

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Anne, good to see you as well🙂 Besides, the pandemic I have had a very funky year.  I was in the hospital

for a week back in April quite ill....thankfully I have recovered (not sick from covid) but I was  pretty sick.  I also retired

as of Dec 31st and went through radiation treatment back in February for a month.   

I was supposed to take a 5 week celebration cruise for retirement but we all know what happened with that...........

Anyway, thankfully my health is better and maybe 2021 will bring some cruises!

Let's hope you will be cruising again soon, Lois.  So  happy to see you are recovering.  Hang in there.

I can't recall....did we sail Mercury together?

5 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

Let's hope you will be cruising again soon, Lois.  So  happy to see you are recovering.  Hang in there.

I can't recall....did we sail Mercury together?

Hi Anne, nope. I think the only time we ever sailed together was on the SOLISTICE---"Pre Inauguration"....there were 

a bunch of us here on CC who were invited for a 2 nighter.   I don't think we ever sailed together on a "regular cruise".

On 7/27/2020 at 8:15 AM, Host Anne said:

She is the first large ship back in service in Europe as the Mein Schiff 2    https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23286-1-200-passengers-are-back-on-a-cruise-ship.html?fbclid=IwAR1XUVL4CCvtgUwx2E2HktbIT29FJTXCw9ygNWCCT-7Y_TjmCnG3ddXvOAI

She was always one of my favorite ships!  We had some great cruises onboard Mercury.  Happy to see she is still looking good!

My first cruise.  Will follow her journeys. Would enjoy another taste.