No more muster drill packed around others anymore.

Some time ago there was a lot of discussions on one of these boards about alternate ways

a muster drill might take place. People suggested a video on the cabin TV's then the room

stewards would confirm. Others mentioned the drill might take place on your smart phone or tablet.

Then someone posted a maritime law that stated muster requirements that are agreed to

internationally and none of those ideas were allowed. The drill had to be realistic so that

there was no confusion should there be an actual shipboard emergeny while at sea.

If anyone reading this remembers this topic and could elaborate I'm sure it would be of interest.

2 hours ago, FOXTROT said:

Please tell me it isn't so. I will miss being packed like a sardine in the hot sun.

Should have been on our tvs a while ago.  , like plane emergency announcements, and a button to push that we indeed viewed it.  all we have to know is which area to go to and crew will be lined in the stairwells on each floor to guide us based on our seapass number.  

I definitely support this progression away from the drills. Provided that we all familiarize ourselves with our muster stations, where to go, the shortest route possible without relying on an elevator, we should all be fine. 

This is an advance away from the old school method of instruction. No more waiting around for stragglers. For me, it felt like attending morning quarters on the flight deck.

5 hours ago, johnjen said:

... No more waiting around for stragglers. ...

Best benefit from this.  I was always steamed over the search for the insensitive stragglers that turned 15 minutes into 45 minutes.

6 hours ago, johnjen said:

I definitely support this progression away from the drills. Provided that we all familiarize ourselves with our muster stations, where to go, the shortest route possible without relying on an elevator, we should all be fine. 

This is where the problem is. Most people will not familiarize themselves with where their station is. If there is ever an actual emergency, people will create even more chaos because they have no idea where they are supposed to go. This is one of the reasons why it will not be shown on the TV. It needs to be realistic and people need to show up so they know where to go in the event of an actual emergency.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:47 AM, rhblake said:

While this method has been patented it has not yet been approved by the various sailing authorities as a substitute for the current muster.

im sure it will , we cant have ppl on top of each other in this day and age.