Port canaveral sailings

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Absolutely, tons of drive in. That's how we ended up here a lot. 8 hour drive from Atlanta. 

I just don't understand NOT Florida.

Since PC is central Florida, everyone in S Florida is within 3+ hours of PC. S Florida loses that customer base once you pass Orlando

I meant that I live in the south east US , but I don't live in Florida.  So, PC is the easiest port for us to drive

I also wanted to differentiate having to drive 11 hours to Ft Lauderdale,  not just the few hours from central Florida.  I was pointing our that PC is an easier drive ( 8 hours) vs other more southern Florida ports.  

Flying means a several hour drive to Charlotte to catch a direct flight, or a long layover in Charlotte or Atlanta if we fly from Columbia.  We did the flight a few times and it takes longer to  fly home than to drive home because of airport wait times.

Tampa is an hour longer  than PC and a much more difficult drive for us.  

M

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2020 at 4:50 PM, John&LaLa said:

It's a totally awesome port😉

Agreed.  So easy from the parking, check in, boarding.    But, the  terminal is Miami is really beautiful and we were treated like royalty in the  Suite/Pinnacle area.

M

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kbonner said:

Driving is no option from here. But I can do it by 14 hours flight time (via ATL) from NRW

I think it is hilarious  to hear the folks from central Florida complain about driving to  Fort Lauderdale or Miami. 

Sometimes I don't realize how lucky I am  to be able to drive  or take  a  few  hour flight to several US ports. We've had our share of long overseas  flights and they are exhausting.

Safe travels  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I think it is hilarious  to hear the folks from central Florida complain about driving to  Fort Lauderdale or Miami. 

Sometimes I don't realize how lucky I am  to be able to drive  or take  a  few  hour flight to several US ports. We've had our share of long overseas  flights and they are exhausting.

Safe travels  

M

I feel the same when people say MCO is so far away from PC😉

56 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Safe travels  

M

That would be me.  No desire to drive ALL THE WAY down to Miami or Ft Lauderdale😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

ok, now do Bayonne.  😁

Not the biggest, unless you count Canada😉, and Baltimore probably picks up Ontario anyway.

Screenshot_20200729-121252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.db56aaffea3ef79ec6d89b4ce150c345.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-121534_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0292f100298f726dc4f34f0a8d7c60bd.jpg

FWIW, even Norfolk is bigger

Edited by John&LaLa

Oh heck, we are tucked down here on the coast in Stuart, FL. On I-95 its 1 hr North to Port Canaveral, 1 hr South to Port Everglades, 1 3/4 hr to Port Miami and 3 hrs across the state to Port Tampa.  We are quite pleased with our location!

Sea Ya!

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Not the biggest, unless you count Canada😉, and Baltimore probably picks up Ontario anyway.

Screenshot_20200729-121252_Chrome.thumb.jpg.db56aaffea3ef79ec6d89b4ce150c345.jpg

Screenshot_20200729-121534_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0292f100298f726dc4f34f0a8d7c60bd.jpg

FWIW, even Norfolk is bigger

John,

Thanks.  I understand why cruising out of Florida dominates the industry, but  I think this helps to explain why it can be tough to get low fares out of the Northeast.  A lot less cruises available and 2 to 4 times as many people who can reasonably drive to the port.  The Anthem at least tends to sail full.

Tom

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CORKY_Q said:

Oh heck, we are tucked down here on the coast in Stuart, FL. On I-95 its 1 hr North to Port Canaveral, 1 hr South to Port Everglades, 1 3/4 hr to Port Miami and 3 hrs across the state to Port Tampa.  We are quite pleased with our location!

Sea Ya!

How is Stuart an hour north to Port Canaveral?  It is over 100 miles away?

I sail on occasion with my Mom who lives in Sebastian and we are almost an hour to Port Canaveral from there.

40 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I sail on occasion with my Mom who lives in Sebastian and we are almost an hour to Port Canaveral from there.

Even I couldn't make that time🤣🤣

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, deliver42 said:

We live in Central Florida, and can get to PC in about 1 1/2 hours,as opposed to 4 hours to Miami or 3 1/2 hrs to FLL.

I graduated from Auburndale High School  🙂  Lived on Lake Juliana for about 20 years.  I miss a lot about it down there but it sure has changed a lot since I left in 97.   I was down there in '18 for my 30th reunion.       The drive to PC is easy peasy though.     

Edited by ryano

4 hours ago, molly361 said:

That would be me.  No desire to drive ALL THE WAY down to Miami or Ft Lauderdale😇

Last summer we did a side to side with a day or two in between getting off the ship in Port Canaveral and getting on a ship in Fort Lauderdale. It seemed like a great idea at the time since we had already driven to Florida and just a few hours to catch the second ship. Of course the problem is the return drive which is at least 11 hours is really pretty difficult for us

m

We live in the Atlanta area so the drive to Miami or Fort Lauderdale is now a two day drive for me. We have done it in one day, but then I need a couple of days to recupe 😉 .  

With my wife being a teacher the times we can go are limited, so we tend to look for cruises out of Tampa, PC and New Orleans to keep it within a day's drive, unless it's the summer when we can take more time. 

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Last summer we did a side to side with a day or two in between getting off the ship in Port Canaveral and getting on a ship in Fort Lauderdale. It seemed like a great idea at the time since we had already driven to Florida and just a few hours to catch the second ship. Of course the problem is the return drive which is at least 11 hours is really pretty difficult for us

m

Yep, brutal to Atlanta as well.

We did a 6 day on Indy out of PE. Spent night in Ocala with In Laws going down, not bad. Straight shot home. 

16 hours ago, Kbonner said:

Driving is no option from here. But I can do it by 14 hours flight time (via ATL) from NRW

Not an option for us either...no choice, but at least we only (:classic_blink:) have an approx 5+ hour flight.

I miss the RCI cruises out of San Pedro...that was only about a 45 min drive.

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

Not an option for us either...no choice, but at least we only (:classic_blink:) have an approx 5+ hour flight.

I miss the RCI cruises out of San Pedro...that was only about a 45 min drive.

Is that LA vs Long Beach?

On 7/29/2020 at 1:52 PM, reallyitsmema said:

I miss spoke....1 1/2 hrs to Port Canaveral.  Thanks for the catch!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 8:16 AM, John&LaLa said:

Absolutely, tons of drive in. That's how we ended up here a lot. 8 hour drive from Atlanta. 

I just don't understand NOT Florida.

Since PC is central Florida, everyone in S Florida is within 3+ hours of PC. S Florida loses that customer base once you pass Orlando

OP probably should have worded it better - something like "closer to folks in the SE (with the exception of Florida)"  😀

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 9:25 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

I meant that I live in the south east US , but I don't live in Florida.  So, PC is the easiest port for us to drive

I also wanted to differentiate having to drive 11 hours to Ft Lauderdale,  not just the few hours from central Florida.  I was pointing our that PC is an easier drive ( 8 hours) vs other more southern Florida ports.  

Flying means a several hour drive to Charlotte to catch a direct flight, or a long layover in Charlotte or Atlanta if we fly from Columbia.  We did the flight a few times and it takes longer to  fly home than to drive home because of airport wait times.

Tampa is an hour longer  than PC and a much more difficult drive for us.  

M

We live in ATL and drive to PC no problem - but there's something about that extra 3 hours to get from Orlando to FLL that sucks away my soul. A terrible trip down the Turnpike with only a couple of mountains (aka landfills) to break up the monotony. No offense to anyone living in Port St. Lucie... lol

If we sail out of PC we drive & if we sail out of FLL or MIA we fly...

• Like 2