Great Cruising Memories

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK, did you do any more cruises with your mother?  Or did your mother continue to cruise without you?

Yes, Mother and I cruised again.  Always tried to get my Father to come along and never was successful.  His personality was "if I can't pilot the plane or captain the ship".....I am not going.  Disappointing, but, it was what it was.

1977 was the next cruise that Mother and I took.  Pacific Far East Lines Los Angeles-Honolulu-Honolulu-San Francisco with disembarking in Los Angeles on the S. S. Monterey prior to her starting a South Pacific Cruise.  

The Summer of 1983, an inside cabin in the cheapest category on NCL's Sunward II; a 4 day Bahamian cruise.  (Actually, this was the best value cruise for what we received as guests that I have ever took.)

December, 1986:  Royal Princess from San Juan to Acapulco with ports that neither of us had visited.  It was a Christmas Cruise and I remember a Christmas Eve encounter with some crew members that was memorable.  (Along with some cruise guests that ought not to be remembered.)  

1987, 1988, or 1989, the date is unclear even to my friend in Fort Pierce whom we visited during that time.  Sitmar's Fairwind:  a 10 or 11 day cruise that encompassed an itinerary to both Eastern and Western Caribbean ports.  First time to visit St. Croix.  At the time, I thought this was an "innovative itinerary" and different than any others available.  I still do.  Great cruise in all aspects!

1990 was our last cruise.  Noordam to Alaska, a 7 day Inside Passage Cruise.  Another good cruise with an adventure in getting to Seattle on Amtrak to join the HAL pre-cruise tour to Victoria and Vancouver in order to embark the ship.  

Hi RK,

Too bad you did not get your father to go with you.  I was always surprised by people who had predetermined notions about cruising.  My mother-in-law was like that until we finally persuaded her to go with us in 1984.  She knew she was going to hate it because she had become seasick on a ferry ride years before.  Long story short...she loved it and we took her on 12 more cruises until her final voyage in 2012.  We were celebrating her 100th birthday with a transatlantic sailing from Barcelona on RCI.  Just before she passed away she thanked me for taking her to all those different places she never would have seen if it hadn't been for that first Sailing to Bermuda.  

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ryndam,  how was the renovation on the Rotterdam V??  

I've not been back on Rotterdam V since 2011. However, in 2011, it was like stepping back in time, at least in the restored public areas. The open and enclosed promenade decks are intact. The theater is there, but only the balcony has the restored fixed seating; the lower floor has been leveled for use of movable tables & chairs. Virtually all rooms on the Upper Prom deck have been restored and are intact with their original fittings and artwork. Virtually all rooms on the Prom deck have been restored and are intact with their original fittings and artwork. The major exception is the former Lido which was completely gutted and rebuilt as casual dining, albeit with some of the chairs from the original main dining rooms. The lobbies and stair landings on all decks have been restored. The two main dining rooms have been restored with their original lighting, decorations and artwork. Tables and chairs are movable banquet-type. The indoor swimming pool area was still a work-in-progress when we were onboard in 2011.

Public restrooms have been rebuilt to contemporary and ADA standards all over the ship. All of the former cabins on Sun and Boat deck have been gutted and rebuilt as conference rooms. None of the Rotterdam's original cabin configurations remain. All cabins on Lower Prom, Main and A decks have been gutted and rebuilt to contemporary standards. Some of the original fittings, cabinets, chairs and tables have been restored and repurposed. All bathrooms have been rebuilt to contemporary standards.

I've been on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA several times. Much of that ship's original fittings and furnishings have been lost or compromised over the years. I visited the QE2 in Dubai in April 2018. The ship had just had a "soft opening", but what I saw onboard was also a time warp back to her last Cunard days. Virtually everything remained intact, with the exception of the lifeboats which are now used as parking lot decorations scattered around the port area. Of these three former re-purposed former lines, IMHO, the Rotterdam is the most intact example of what the ship resembled during her sailing career, at least in the public areas.

Rob

• Like 3

THANKS SO MUCH!! Ryndam,

As an ocean liner historian...I always love to hear about the old ships.  I would love to see the Rotterdam V someday...I saw her several times over years past in various ports.  She was a beautiful ship with graceful lines and incredibly well kept.  

The last time I saw the Queen Mary was in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean in 1965.   I was on the Queen Elizabeth sailing eastward and the Mary was steaming westward.  It was an incredible sight which I will never forget.  The Mary was truly majestic when seen sailing at sea.  

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My traveling companion in 1970 was booked on one of the Canberra's cruises that Summer.  His sailed and he enjoyed it.  His stateroom was one of those that was an "outside", but there was a window that looked out of a corner of his stateroom into a "foyer" type area with others of that type that provided a "view" of the outside.  I recall these rooms were built in units of three and his was number 3, furthest from the outside.  

These was a really innovative design, which if memory is correct were called "Court Cabins." They were built in groups of 6 cabins, with 3 cabins either side of the courtyard.

Each group of 6 cabins had a single door providing access from the alleyway. The alleyway door led to an athwartships courtyard that ended at the ship's side, with large windows providing lots of light. The outside cabins had an additional window, but were not very deep, so the courtyard at the ship's side was fairly wide. I believe they may even have had a small bench in the courtyard at the ship's side.

The middle cabins were stepped in about 1 ft from the outside cabin, with tall, narrow window filling the gap. This provided a view from the cabin through the outer ship side windows. The inner cabins were then stepped in another 1 ft, with a similar window filling the gap.

The courtyard narrowed at the middle cabins and again at the inner cabins, so at the inner cabins was only about the same width as the courtyard access door.

Never saw this arrangement on any other of the P&O ships, only the Canberra. Got to stay in one of them during the 1978 drydock. It was definitely better than a traditional inside cabin. 

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

1987, 1988, or 1989, the date is unclear even to my friend in Fort Pierce whom we visited during that time.  Sitmar's Fairwind:  a 10 or 11 day cruise that encompassed an itinerary to both Eastern and Western Caribbean ports.  First time to visit St. Croix.  At the time, I thought this was an "innovative itinerary" and different than any others available.  I still do.  Great cruise in all aspects!

Although I had already left P&O, I recall they purchased Sitmar in 1988, renaming all the ships. Many of them were given similar Princess names, but I seem to recall the Fairwind became the original Dawn Princess in 1988.

Therefore, I suggest this cruise was probably 87 or early 88. Can't remember which month they purchased Sitmar.

23 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Although I had already left P&O, I recall they purchased Sitmar in 1988, renaming all the ships. Many of them were given similar Princess names, but I seem to recall the Fairwind became the original Dawn Princess in 1988.

Therefore, I suggest this cruise was probably 87 or early 88. Can't remember which month they purchased Sitmar.

My Mother and I were sailing on Sitmar Fairwind on a 10 day Caribbean cruise during the Summer of 1988 (I am fairly certain of the year).  We sailed from Port Everglades as a Sitmar ship and returned as a Princess ship.  We were told during the cruise that Princess had purchased Sitmar.  We witnessed some concerned crew after the announcement had been made, but the service and cuisine remained stellar.  

36 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

These was a really innovative design, which if memory is correct were called "Court Cabins." They were built in groups of 6 cabins, with 3 cabins either side of the courtyard.

Each group of 6 cabins had a single door providing access from the alleyway. The alleyway door led to an athwartships courtyard that ended at the ship's side, with large windows providing lots of light. The outside cabins had an additional window, but were not very deep, so the courtyard at the ship's side was fairly wide. I believe they may even have had a small bench in the courtyard at the ship's side.

The middle cabins were stepped in about 1 ft from the outside cabin, with tall, narrow window filling the gap. This provided a view from the cabin through the outer ship side windows. The inner cabins were then stepped in another 1 ft, with a similar window filling the gap.

The courtyard narrowed at the middle cabins and again at the inner cabins, so at the inner cabins was only about the same width as the courtyard access door.

Never saw this arrangement on any other of the P&O ships, only the Canberra. Got to stay in one of them during the 1978 drydock. It was definitely better than a traditional inside cabin. 

The "court cabin" concept was first introduced on the SS Oriana in 1960. The concept was expanded and enhanced on the Canberra.

COURT_CABINS_LAYOUT01.jpg

COURT_CABINS_LAYOUT02.jpg

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

That is exactly what I recall my friend described.  

4 hours ago, ryndam said:

I've not been back on Rotterdam V since 2011. However, in 2011, it was like stepping back in time, at least in the restored public areas.

Yes!

None of the Rotterdam's original cabin configurations remain. All cabins on Lower Prom, Main and A decks have been gutted and rebuilt to contemporary standards. Some of the original fittings, cabinets, chairs and tables have been restored and repurposed. All bathrooms have been rebuilt to contemporary standards.

The two main dining rooms have been restored with their original lighting, decorations and artwork.

Our tour guide was not able to gain access to one of the hotel rooms to see what they looked like.  Bathrooms being rebuilt to contemporary standards would be required for a "modern" hotel.  Our bathroom in 1970 was inferior to the bathroom/showers in my dorm during my Freshman year of college.  

The La Fontaine Dining Room looked exactly like it did when I last dined there in 1996.  Never saw the Odyssey Dining Room (which was, I think the First Class dining room when the ship was in two class service) either when I sailed on her or during the tour.  

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

1977 was the next cruise that Mother and I took.  Pacific Far East Lines Los Angeles-Honolulu-Honolulu-San Francisco with disembarking in Los Angeles on the S. S. Monterey prior to her starting a South Pacific Cruise.  

A couple more memories of this particular cruise that came to mind as a result of Ryndam's post about the Queen Mary.  Don't have time now, but I will return to share those.

29 minutes ago, ryndam said:

The "court cabin" concept was first introduced on the SS Oriana in 1960. The concept was expanded and enhanced on the Canberra.

Thanks for the info.

I spent way more time on Oriana than Canberra, but can't recall seeing them. Will go to some of the old sea dog P&O websites to review the deck plans to see which decks they were on.

36 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I spent way more time on Oriana than Canberra, but can't recall seeing them. Will go to some of the old sea dog P&O websites to review the deck plans to see which decks they were on.

They were on C Deck. Sorry for the not-too-good scan. I'll try to upload a better/clear/darker version.

Oriana B & C Decks.pdf

7 hours ago, ryndam said:

They were on C Deck. Sorry for the not-too-good scan. I'll try to upload a better/clear/darker version.

Oriana B & C Decks.pdf 272.53 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks kindly - having sailed on Oriana for many months and completed 2 refits, I used to know every area of that great ship. Sadly over the past 42 yrs the memory of the layout has faded.

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A couple more memories of this particular cruise that came to mind as a result of Ryndam's post about the Queen Mary.  Don't have time now, but I will return to share those.

Continued regarding my 1977 cruise aboard S. S. Monterey....

In order to make this cruise fit into my vacation schedule for my job, if Mother was going to join me she had to fly to and from Los Angeles.  Taking the train was not an option.  Nor was driving or taking Greyhound.  She had never flown with the statement heard from her many times:  "My legs aren't long enough to reach the ground."  She agreed to fly since there simply was no other way and she really wanted to visit Hawaii on a cruise.

Since this was her first flight, I decided to book First Class to make the experience as pleasant as possible for her.  Flew out of DAY on a TWA L-1011 to LAX in a First Class section that had more empty seats than guests.  We each could have a window seat when we wanted one.  Service/cuisine was impeccable.  As we approached Los Angeles, there was a thunderstorm over the desert that provided spectacular views.  As we descended, Mother had her face nearly pressed against the window (I have wondered if the cleaners ever got her nose print off that window).  It was a great flight and our return flight after the cruise went just as well (but, really is not memorable for me for some reason).  

We stayed for a night at the Hotel Queen Mary.  Our taxi driver from LAX had never driven there.  Fortunately, I had my AAA map of that area and I guided him to the hotel!  

Our night at the Queen Mary ought to have been longer.  Our room had been a former First Class stateroom with wood paneling, classic furniture, just like a photo out of a Cunard brochure when she was in service.  Entering the bathroom and looking at the wall where the knobs for the water was for the bathtub was quite a surprise:  Hot Fresh Water, Hot Salt Water, Cold Fresh Water, Cold Salt Water; a "blast from the past"!   At that time, dining facilities seem to be much more limited than are available today.  I recall that the coffee shop was where we ate dinner and breakfast the next morning.  It seemed to be located very far aft on whatever deck; not impressive.  We did have time for a short tour of the ship and wished we had time for the longer tour that was available.  Parts of the ship, we did remember from our visit aboard Queen Mary prior to a sailing from New York around 1958.  

Our pre-cruise adventure was as memorable as the cruise itself was.  And, all in the best possible way!

Great memories of the Queen Mary RK.  You were very fortunate to have stayed in one of those classic wood paneled cabins...what great history.  

What was your favorite cruise/cruise ship?  Do tell.

Favourite ships tend to change over time.

1) SS Oriana - brilliant party ship, especially when sailing out of Sydney for the Australia season. That was important when only 19 yrs.

2) SS Uganda - the old 1st Class lounges were just so opulent, with rich wood panels and furniture. With only 300 adult pax they were never crowded.

Nor our favourite ships are the opposite end of the spectrum, with the Scandinavian decor of the small Viking ships. 

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

Here are a few photos of the room.

Several of  these photos look very familiar.  The hallway, the bathtub, the portholes, the interior of the room, the heater and the wall mounted fan, the air duct adjustment device:  good memories!  I recall the room that we had was somewhat larger.

The device outside of the room with the red/green lights, I don't recall seeing that.  What was its purpose?

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The device outside of the room with the red/green lights, I don't recall seeing that.  What was its purpose?

Those were the steward/stewardess call lights. There used to be call buttons in the cabins; one would push the green for a male attendant or the red for a female attendant. The annunciator would light up in the hallway and a steward or stewardess would see it and knock on your cabin door.

These call buttons became obsolete with the wide-spread introduction of in-cabin telephones in the late 1960's. And then further obsolescence with pagers and cell phone technology.

3 hours ago, ryndam said:

Those were the steward/stewardess call lights. There used to be call buttons in the cabins; one would push the green for a male attendant or the red for a female attendant. The annunciator would light up in the hallway and a steward or stewardess would see it and knock on your cabin door.

These call buttons became obsolete with the wide-spread introduction of in-cabin telephones in the late 1960's. And then further obsolescence with pagers and cell phone technology.

Thank you for the information.  Quite different from today.  I want to speak to my Stateroom Steward, I stick my head outside the door and he/she is nowhere to be seen.  Looking for him/her, they are attending that other block of staterooms across the foyer from where mine is located.  Oh yes, times have changed.

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

What was your favorite cruise/cruise ship?  Do tell.

Favorite ship is Rotterdam V.  Each of the 3 cruises on which I sailed on her were memorable in their own unique way.  Being the ship for my first cruise, it's sort of like one's "first love", I think.  

Favorite cruise remains, after all of these years, the trans-Atlantic crossing from New York to Copenhagen followed by the North Cape Cruise on the Royal Viking Sky.  24 days of an exceptional cruise and sightseeing and sailing experience.  

Thank you RK, Heidi and Ryndam.  Your memories are treasures with snippets of ships that are long gone.  Please keep them coming.  You are a part of history.  

Ryndam, loved your pics of the Mary.  Just looking at those beautiful paneled passageways brought back great personal memories...and just thinking of the craftsmanship that went into building that great ship.

Heidi, I was always fascinated with Oriana and Uganda.  I almost booked an Oriana Med. cruise way back in the early 70’s.  Uganda looked like a very comfortable ship. I remember looking at cruises on Uganda but like a kid in the candy store I ended up choosing a cruise closer to home.  Choosing a cruise back then was so easy.  There wasn’t a huge selection like today but there were super deals since most people did not cruise at that time.  I literally booked my honeymoon cruise on the Bremen two weeks before we sailed.  It was just so easy to take the train from Boston or fly down and board a ship the same day in New York.  Ahhh...those were the days.  

Thank you RK, Heidi and Ryndam.  Your memories are treasures with snippets of ships that are long gone.  Please keep them coming.  You are a part of history.  

Ryndam, loved your pics of the Mary.  Just looking at those beautiful paneled passageways brought back great personal memories...and just thinking of the craftsmanship that went into building that great ship.

Heidi, I was always fascinated with Oriana and Uganda.  I almost booked an Oriana Med. cruise way back in the early 70’s.  Uganda looked like a very comfortable ship. I remember looking at cruises on Uganda but like a kid in the candy store I ended up choosing a cruise closer to home.  Choosing a cruise back then was so easy.  There wasn’t a huge selection like today but there were super deals since most people did not cruise at that time.  I literally booked my honeymoon cruise on the Bremen two weeks before we sailed.  It was just so easy to take the train from Boston or fly down and board a ship the same day in New York.  Ahhh...those were the days.  

Not aware if Uganda had any kids from the US, but when I sailed on her we did have 1 class of older kids from Canada. That was a fun cruise, as I recall the Canadian kids challenging the Officers to a hockey match. The Canadian obviously played ice hockey, while we played grass hockey. On board, we played deck hockey.

We doctored up the sticks with varnish and hung them around the radar mast to dry. We also made rope pucks and added multiple layers of varnish. For the match, we all wore cricket pads. Great times, as with the UK kids we played deck football. 

For the adult pax, she was an incredible ship. Basically one of the last ships with multiple classes, as the kids and adult pax had their own respective areas and never mixed.