Alternative Travel Plans???

luxecruisers

On 8/2/2020 at 5:49 PM, clo said:

Not natl. parks but RV parks. Jammed. We made a stop for one night and got the only space. Evidently RV sales and rentals are through the roof. People are figuring it out. When we arrived our 'paperwork' was in a slot at the locked front door and a man drove us to our spot in his golf cart. 

Yes, I've been hearing a lot of RV trips with butlers onboard; I guess people really want to mimic the luxury cruise experience ... 

On 8/2/2020 at 5:49 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

If we stick to a road trip, probably somewhere in the Blue Ridge Mountains or back to Gatlinburg, TN for some hiking in the Smokies.

Also kicking around the idea of taking Amtrak up through the Northeast for fall foliage or, if we really need a beach fix, catching a flight down to Florida.

Thanks for the great travel ideas; I've never been to Gatlinburg but I've heard it's beautiful. 

We live in Reno which is near where Burning Man is usually held...but not this year. The gazillionaires come in their jets, with their million dollar RVs delivered. Including the private chefs. Totally subverting the point of the original Burning Man. OK, sorry for Ot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luxecruisers said:

Thanks for the great travel ideas; I've never been to Gatlinburg but I've heard it's beautiful. 

We're just finishing up a week in an airbnb in Nehalem Oregon (15 minutes from the coast). Tomorrow we're heading to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington.

Our airbnb is on 10 acres with riverfront, a fire pit three acres of mowed 'lawn.' A wonderful time.

20200731_191953_resized - Edited.jpg

Finally made concrete travel plans to head to the Grand Canyon and Northern Arizona after US Labor Day.  We'll see if it goes forward as everything is refundable until the last minute.  I was able to get a great deal on the El Tovar which is usually difficult to book.  Makes me think I want to try for the Ahwahnne in Yosemite for October or November.  I am thinking the lack of foreign travelers couple with COVID are making these classic properties more available to locals.