Would you Cruise having to wear a mask almost all the time?

janewe

From the very beginning I have said that I would not cruise if masks were required.  I agree that @German Cruiser has painted a different picture with his live review.  Or perhaps I have just gotten used to the idea.  I would cruise if masks are required in certain situations but not under the restrictions described in the OP's scenario.  I can come to terms with mask wearing in corridors or elevators just as I have come to terms with masks in daily life on land.  I'm beyond ready to move into a time in history when cruising can resume.  Not sure when that will be, but I am ready.

• Like 1

Ive used Lift and Shift to move my 28th March and 9th April Cruises to 2022. I don’t see a vaccine being available by then and if it did sail having to wear a mask in all public areas which  may be the case judging by what Costa (Carnival) are asking you to do. 

I’m an OR nurse. I wore a mask for much of my day before Covid. Now I wear one 10 hours a day. While it wouldn’t be my first choice, it’s not going to keep me from the sunrises, sunsets and the total relaxation I feel on a cruise. 
My wife does not share those feelings, however.  

My dw and I are firmly with the group who continuously states that wearing a mask means no cruising for us.  But maybe in another year of mask wearing we will feel differently.  We have a Noway cruise in Aug 2021.  A few months ago we felt we would never go to an expensive restaurant if we had to wear a mask.  Well we did just that a week ago for our anniversary.  I remember in the days and months post 9/11 all the things I swore I would never do.  Take my shoes off in a security line?  We are humans and eventually adapt.  That is why we are still on the planet.  

• Like 1

A few months ago I was a solid no.  Now I’m changing my mind. It could be at least a couple years before most people are vaccinated with a reliable vaccine. Maybe even longer. I miss cruising too much to wait that long. According to scientists, this virus will be with us for many years. Those who won’t sail until it is “safe” may need to revise their definition of safe or stop traveling altogether. It sounds like it may never again, in our lifetime, be as safe as before. Never.  We certainly need a reasonably safe cruise environment, but realistically we may be wearing masks for years.  I intend to keep living, using reasonable safety precautions. Unfortunately that looks like it will include mask wearing on any type of travel.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

A few months ago I was a solid no.  Now I’m changing my mind. It could be at least a couple years before most people are vaccinated with a reliable vaccine. Maybe even longer. I miss cruising too much to wait that long. According to scientists, this virus will be with us for many years. Those who won’t sail until it is “safe” may need to revise their definition of safe or stop traveling altogether. It sounds like it may never again, in our lifetime, be as safe as before. Never.  We certainly need a reasonably safe cruise environment, but realistically we may be wearing masks for years.  I intend to keep living, using reasonable safety precautions. Unfortunately that looks like it will include mask wearing on any type of travel.

I am on the opposite side of this issue, meaning I will hold off cruises with masks, but I do agree it is best to stay flexible.  Things might change in which case my mind might change.  Lol.   

Reports (which can also be found here on CC) from the two cruises already sailed in Germany indicate that the policy on board was very practicable and adhered to.  

So instead of not cruising at all - sure I would wear a mask!!!

By now we are so used to wearing masks that in some places I feel uncomfortable not wearing a mask.

And btw, due to an autoimmune disease a have a limited lung volume. Still doesn´t deter me from wearing a mask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wear one 40 hours a week.  You forget you have them on really.  I’ve tried to take a drink thru mine.  It has sadly become very routine.  I find they are hot when I first put it on the morning but within 30 minutes forget I’m wearing one.

We are planning a land trip in October.  Mask are required outside our room.  I don’t think it will be any big deal for me but the DH May have more trouble just because he’s not used to it like I am.  I can understand those of you who are saying no.  You’re just not used to wearing one all the time.  

I’ve saved lot of money on make up that’s for sure.  No blush, lipstick and I’ve even quit using foundation.  I only use eye make up.  I do use some kind of lip balm all the time though. No worries about having something stuck in your teeth.  You have to look at the bright side.

Yes we’d cruise with masks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Reports (which can also be found here on CC) from the two cruises already sailed in Germany indicate that the policy on board was very practicable and adhered to.  

We Americans aren’t known to be rule followers...just ask the Brits. 

• Haha 1

Add me to the list of people who would cruise if wearing a mask would be required.

i wear a mask now when I leave the house, so not a major change for me. The cruise lines cannot afford any breakouts and I have confidence that. They will take all precautions to make cruising safe. I live in South Florida and see many ignoring the mask requirements. I bet that there would be strict enforcement on a ship and that the ship would be safer than the streets on Boca.

I don't know what we will decide. We moved our January 2021 cruise to 2022, so we have a lot of time. But we moved to the Connie and talk is that she might not stay with Celebrity that long. Who knows?

We are now mandatory masks at all inside public spaces in Minnesota and some still won't wear them. Frustrating for those of us who do wear them for sure. Now based on the close proximity on a ship, it would drive me nuts if I saw many passengers on a cruise not wearing masks. And that would definitely effect my trip a lot more than myself wearing one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, My hero 6 said:

I love wearing masks!  They hide most of my wrinkles. 😷

Yes!  I’m getting quite used to them. I saw someone call a particularly pretty mask, a “face accessory” and that’s how I consider them now! 😁

I’m open to cruising with mandatory masks. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Now based on the close proximity on a ship, it would drive me nuts if I saw many passengers on a cruise not wearing masks. And that would definitely effect my trip a lot more than myself wearing one.

I don't want to sound negative, but, that is quite likely to happen.

" It's my body " "I have my rights "---- etc , etc.

With that attitude the likelihood of someone getting sick might be quite high and everyone quarantined. 

The elevators are going to be a very big problem , more so than seating in bars, lounges, restaurants, pool ares, theater, etc.

We cancelled 2 cruises and are still holding one , but, I'm pretty sure it will be cancelled by the cruise line shortly.

Hard to believe this is happening . 

5 minutes ago, durberville said:

Yes!  I’m getting quite used to them. I saw someone call a particularly pretty mask, a “face accessory” and that’s how I consider them now! 😁

I’m open to cruising with mandatory masks. 

I especially like seeing different colors/designs on masks and have often complimented the wearer. Their eyes always “smile” back when they say thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

We are now mandatory masks at all inside public spaces in Minnesota and some still won't wear them. Frustrating for those of us who do wear them for sure. Now based on the close proximity on a ship, it would drive me nuts if I saw many passengers on a cruise not wearing masks. And that would definitely effect my trip a lot more than myself wearing one.

On bridge tours on the Edge we saw multiple large TV screens which displayed the chosen views from various cameras around the ship. Going forward, it would be very easy for crew members to monitor passengers walking down corridors, riding in elevators, etc., and identify them with their facial recognition software. I imagine they could then leave a reminder in the cabins of those who weren’t complying with face mask rules. It would be interesting to see what the “penalty” might be after the first warning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1